IGNORED

Brian Tinnion Interview

Sheltons Army

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

….and high from sniffing his Sharpies!

I used to love sniffing the big fat marker pens that smelled a bit like pears - well to me anyway.

Also, when I was Primary School age, I loved evostick, but it used to give me wicked headaches. (I was not a classic glue sniffer: my highs were got from watching the repairs that our dad was doing around the house. No one ever thought to open the windows in the 70s. At least not in our house.)

Edited by Sleepy1968

7 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I used to love sniffing the big fat marker pens that smelled a bit like pears - well to me anyway.

Also, when I was Primary School age, I loved evostick, but it used to give me wicked headaches. (I was not a classic glue sniffer: my highs were got from watching the repairs that our dad was doing around the house. No one ever thought to open the windows in the 70s. At least not in our house.)

Hence the forum name?!? ?

• Haha 9

31 minutes ago, spudski said:

In the first couple sentences, he says...' We have a way of playing now'.

How ridiculous as a Championship side, that we didn't in the past. 

At least we now recruit accordingly to how we play. 

So frustrating that in the past we had a CEO and manager that recruited with a philosophy of having a ' club in the bag' for every scenario.

Even more frustrating is that we have an owner that didn't pick up on this at the time. It's a basic football principle.

And is a huge reason why “argh why can’t we beat teams like Millwall” “argh how embarrassing Luton and Bournemouth and Brentford are in the prem”

Lesser clubs have had clear plans and ways of playing for years and years. Even Reading always had a clear plan and were very well set up until the last few seasons. 

I just hope to god this does actually stick and this is here to stay, and SL just doesn’t rip it up and start again with another new shiny thing when Nige goes. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, spudski said:

So frustrating that in the past we had a CEO and manager that recruited with a philosophy of having a ' club in the bag' for every scenario.

Even more frustrating is that we have an owner that didn't pick up on this at the time. It's a basic football principle.

Agree but often easier said than done, to defend SL on this when you mention what league we're in. There are plenty of examples of clubs at this level and above who don't.

Edited by Ron W

Brian Tinnion impressive as always, knows football, knows the club, loves the club, .....if -IF- Nige decides not to accept a new contract, or SL decides not to offer him one, I really hope that BT is at least made DoF and is instrumental in finding our next manager and the Lansdowns stay out of the process - I really don't want to read that Jon Lansdown is selecting and interviewing the potential candidates.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, petehinton said:

And is a huge reason why “argh why can’t we beat teams like Millwall” “argh how embarrassing Luton and Bournemouth and Brentford are in the prem”

Lesser clubs have had clear plans and ways of playing for years and years. Even Reading always had a clear plan and were very well set up until the last few seasons. 

I just hope to god this does actually stick and this is here to stay, and SL just doesn’t rip it up and start again with another new shiny thing when Nige goes. 

2 minutes ago, Ron W said:

Agree but often easier said than done, to defend SL on this when you mention what league we're in. There are plenty of other clubs at this level and above who don't.

Blimey...I can remember when SL took on Coppell and wanted to replicate what he did at Reading, and also how SL aspired to be like Madjeski. 

It's got embarrassing how many clubs he's compared us with and what they've achieved. 

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Brian Tinnion impressive as always, knows football, knows the club, loves the club, .....if -IF- Nige decides not to accept a new contract, or SL decides not to offer him one, I really hope that BT is at least made DoF and is instrumental in finding our next manager and the Lansdowns stay out of the process - I really don't want to read that Jon Lansdown is selecting and interviewing the potential candidates.

Yeah well that ain't gonna happen.

1 hour ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Good interview. Just a shame that JL has been allowed to doodle on the walls of the interview room.

Yep, you can trace the evolution of the updated Club badge from those original cave paintings.

Clear that much effort went into the design of the Robin used in the ‘official’ badge, you can perhaps understand why he just traced ‘splat’ off a computer screen for the third shirt.

Good interview with BT. Would still like to know the set up of our scouting network though. 

2 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Was very, very sick from the fumes of Airfix Glue and Paint once.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

IMG_2176.jpeg

• Haha 5

19 minutes ago, Rocky said:

I don't get these interviews really, he didn't get asked anything and answer anything we didn't already know/assumed to be the case.

Ah well, that's what happens when you only let club officials do friendly interviews in-house, everything is so closed and sanitised. 

He certainly made it pretty clear that it was Alex Scott who wanted to leave for the EPL as soon as possible, not the ownership or management chasing the fee. 

• Like 5

Seriously recommend watching this:

He got some stick last summer for doing a “Gas” and not getting transfer paperwork over the line in time, for Lewis O’Brien.

But this is a very good explainer of Blackburn’s window….raise £5m in fees, cut wage-bill by 15%, and some good detail (without breaking confidentiality) on some player scenarios.

Sounds as though he operates in a space similar to Tinnion, but probably more hooked into the numbers part of a CEO.  Guess it shows how the DoF / TD is not a one size fits all.

15 hours ago, spudski said:

Spot on. You still get people on here now talking about clubs in the bag which is actually an insult when you think about it. All it does is describe generally mediocre players who have a particular strength that might help you out now and again. A putter is a club in the bag and it only has one use.

If you recruit good players that fit your way of playing and have the ability to change it up and give you a bit of variety when Plan A needs changing you don’t need to fill your squad with clubs in the bag. Recruiting good players enables you to change your system a bit without having to buy another six players.

Clubs in the bag sounds clever and sounds like you have all eventualities covered if you don’t engage you brain and our owner fell for it hook, line and sinker.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1