IGNORED

GIVE US THE ATYEO BACK!!!

TheBigFatWurzel

The thing about the Atyeo, it isn't IMO either brilliant or awful for acoustics.

However however, it's a lot to distil into one post but...

1) Post 1992 with all-seater etc, grounds crowds became pacified.

2) However a culture arose whereby away fans continued to stand if you stand you are more likely to sing and chant.

3) Easier to control home fans in that scenario ad it seems to be accepted or the dome thing that a majority of away fans will sit and are only there once a year in the main, whereas home fans can be easier controlled in this sense especially if season ticket holders etc.

Then you have to look at the individual club and or Safety Advisory Group. Their approach to these matters, and this is where we can criticise as far as our situation is concerned. A "Singing Section" of 1,200 tucked into a corner is always going to be at a disadvantage when up against an away following of 2-3.5k when a majority stand.

The club could reduce away allocations, the club could move the location or at least explore it seriously, the club could at least expire seriously a larger or closer "Singing Section".

Some of these yes longer term, hoops to jump through- Licensing etc. The SAG like our council seem like a shower of shit sadly but who knows.

People need a degree of realism and strategic thinking however. A bigger "Singing Section" would be good but logistically this whole thing while complying with allocation rules- which differ in the EFL, FA Cup and if we ever get there, the PL..you need an away section big enough to cover all 3 arguably.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Red Skin said:

When we were in there, everyone was blaming the acoustics of the stand for making us seem quiet to away fans in the East End.   Apparently, now it's a great stand for acoustics!! 

East End had the best acoustics for sure and again you're perhaps not factoring in the crowd dynamics and the impact on atmosphere generation.

1 hour ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I didn't notice a lack of atmosphere when we've had big games.

The numbers actively participating, rather than having whatever part of the ground (and suggesting we'd ever get the atyeo back, well, realistically it's not happening), has the biggest impact.

This is fair. Albeit it all helps ie can hinder- marginal gains e.g., I don't think 3-3.5k away fans enhances our chance of winning. Does this have a negative impact on the atmosphere? Perhaps.

I accept the allocation rules differ for the FA Cup.

40 minutes ago, Coombsy said:

It’s the all seater stadium that killed the atmosphere 

Ultimately yes. Although a bigger "Safe Standing" area can help.

Away fans will invariably stand as a majority these days, home fans don't have that privilege.  Throw in a smaller "Safe Standing" area or "Singing Section", and it really gives a major advantage to sides with sizable away followings.

Not been to a live game since the EE got flattened, its gone as is the open end/enclosure etc, we are now part of something else, someone elses dream.

There is no going back to any of it, they are all just memories.

Seem to be going around and around in circles the only bright light is NP by some stroke of luck more than judgement SL has somehow landed him.

Sadly seems to have closed the wallet yet showered prev choices with seemingly fortunes, so looks like this will be NP`s last season here then move on to our next owner/manager.

SL and co days here are numbered, no-one lives forever, hoping for better times ahead...who knows what the next 50yrs will bring......:dunno:

Not much chance of home fans getting back in Atyeo any day soon, if only we had our own ground eh.

4 minutes ago, Jeez said:

Stick them all in the upper Lansdown 

Remember the away allocation is a movable feast.

2k- Championship, or 10 pct of capacity- whichever is lower.

15 pct of ground or up to- FA Cup

3k or 10 pct of capacity- PL- whichever is lower.

How much does the Upper Lansdown hold?

2k, 4,050 and 3k basically. Or maybe 2.7k if we ever went up.

Although this allocation is somewhat subject to SAG approval. The maximum capacity of the Atyeo maybe 3.4-3.5k.

4 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Splitting the Lansdown (not the Williams) stand ...

I’m a bit too nostalgic where that’s concerned; rather like The Colston Hall, I still refer to that stand as its previous name, The Williams - perhaps because when I was queuing through the night for play off tickets in 1988, dear old Des Williams turned up with a pot of tea and walked down the line pouring cups to keep us going - an absolute gent and as important to our history as people like Beryl Fudge etc ...

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

There are a few queries with that. Albeit the principle point I agree with somewhat

1) Seated fans statistically I would suggest are less likely to sing and chant than standing fans.

2) Therefore a bigger ' Safe Standing' area is perhaps needed. Albeit I accept it's a bit reductionist.

3) Away fans these days have the privilege of standing in greater numbers and are more of a critical mass. All-seater but away fans stand.

4) See point 1..this will as it did v Birmingham give West Brom a nice advantage tomorrow. 3-3.5k in a concentrated mass certainly will help.

The club can't win, people moaned when away fans were in the other end and now they cant have this end, they have to go somewhere and logistically an isolated stand is ideal.

You can't be all things to all people and the fact that the atmosphere is dead has nothing to do with where the away fans are, wake up, even our 'ultras' stop singing after 10 minutes so what makes you think this would change anything. 

The club need to visit other grounds around europe hopefully then they will see how to build an atmosphere pre match.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Okay let's go with some logistics @TheBigFatWurzel

I don't think the acoustics are so brilliant in real terms but the best in the redeveloped ground yes.

I'm not totally against it but Cup figures are a challenge as FA rules for FA Cup games mandate 15 pct of capacity.

Could be trialled in some League games but would need clearance with SAG I assume, Licensing Authority etc. Is this possible mid-sesson?

In your view is the stand split or solely for home? Where do the 2k minimum (15 pct of capacity for away fans go).

Your ideal stand behind goal would have safe Standing presumably. This needs to be applied for and granted via Licensing, up to 16 criteria.

That's just for a start.

Key questions are therefore:

*Cost

*Feasibility

*Time frame

*Full approval and licensing from regulatory bodies.

To recap on the regs bit- for away fans:

*2k minimum or 10 pct allocation, whichever the lesser for EFL.

*15 pct capacity FA Cup.

*3k minimum or 10 pct capacity PL- whichever is less basically.

Well then the necessary people need to pull their fingers out and get on with it there's lots to do.

COYR

8 hours ago, City37 said:

The same Atyeo stand that the majority on here used to say was crap for atmosphere...  crap roof .....crap acoustics.

100% mental people want to go back in there! Away fans are louder because they’re away fans same as when we go away we’re louder than at home and the opposition home fans happens all around the country but some people think it’s unique to us! 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

The acoustics thing is so overstated. Were the acoustics a problem when Korey’s winner hit the net?

Having the singing section in the corner between the two most vocal stands is perfectly adequate to make large amounts of noise. The corner should even give a megaphone effect, compared to being in the middle of a stand with open sides, if we ARE going to obsess about acoustics. The main reason the atmosphere is so flat is because we’ve had very few games that have really mattered since the stadium was redeveloped. Generally we’ve played fairly inconsequential mid table games. We haven’t had a play off game, a must-win relegation decider or a Bristol derby. We’ve had little to get excited about. And on the odd occasion when we have, the atmosphere has been excellent.

Putting fans in the Atyeo will just disperse our vocal support over a wider area.

Also, we’re kidding ourselves if we think the Atyeo was “our kop”. That’s a bit of an embarrassing comparison frankly. It wasn’t even our traditional home end.

We need to stop pretending the only reason Ashton Gate isn’t like the Istanbul derby every week is because of the acoustics or the layout of the ground. It’s a nonsense.

I couldn’t agree more with this post and have been saying it for years. The atmosphere at AG, or lack of it, is nothing to do with acoustics or the layout of the stadium. The place can be absolutely bouncing when it gets going.

When there’s a string of poor refereeing decisions, when we pile forward and get some momentum going, when there’s a real edge to a game, or when we’re playing a big cup tie the fans get fully engaged and there are no problems with acoustics at all. It’s just that none of those things have happened often enough over the past few years (apart from poor officiating). It’s an extreme example but, Bristol derbies aside, I’ve never heard a better atmosphere than the  big Man United game because everyone was bang up for it, the game was huge and we played magnificently against one of the biggest clubs in the world. There were problems with acoustics that night. To say there are at other times is a convenient line and a load of nonsense imo. 

Edited by Jacki
Triple post ??‍♂️
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Nah...the East End was and always will be our 'Kop.' The Atyeo will always be the Park end (open end) when we were kicked out of the East end, originally.

Exactly this. The Atyeo was built and we had to go in there, no one liked it. I would guess most of us who experienced the 'proper' Eastend have drifted away to other stands. I find it a bit 'rose tinted glasses' that people are hankering back misty eyed to what the Atyeo was in their minds. The Atyeo was never the Eastend as far as I'm concerned, fully understand it's now the next generation or so.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Nomad said:

Very glad you mentioned this @City37

If the away fans had the SS or Dolman that would have the best acoustics.  Dolman B block in the late 80's and 90's was pumping.

Block B in the early 90s was great - as a youngster I can remember looking up to see all the lads in there giving it some ... and them clattering the wooden chairs.

There used to be some proper characters in the Dolman.

Think I spent most of the time watching the crowd and not the game.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mightyreds89 said:

100% mental people want to go back in there! Away fans are louder because they’re away fans same as when we go away we’re louder than at home and the opposition home fans happens all around the country but some people think it’s unique to us! 

Nail on the head there.

Even speaking as someone who has great memories of that end, the current situation makes a lot of sense. Segregation across the same stand is a waste of space and causes more trouble for the stewards. It looks a bit naff too, as though the ground has not been fully thought through.