IGNORED

Just watched Grimsby away .....

Bristol Oil Services

... 1980. On You Tubes. Bob Houghton's first game. Martin Tyler commentating. Lost 0:1. It's worth watching just to remind yerself, actually, what we have now (as frustrating as it is), this is pretty bloody good at the moment. 

Dear me, we were dire at Grimsby. If there'd been a forum and a Matchday Thread back then, I fear Sir Gerry (Gow) might've come in for some "words." As might Alan Hay, who kept getting skinned down the left. Mabbs missed a bit of a sitter (nice lob-pass from Hay, though). Kev would've attracted online "opinion," no doubt. Tony Fitzpatrick? Our "recruitment" would've had a grilling there, too. @Olé's report would've been interesting. 

Big Dave Rodgers bust his jaw, we go 9 without a win. The club is in freefall. Two years later, we're losing 1:7 at Northampton in the 4th Division. 

Try and enjoy it tomorrow, and give the team a bit of backing, if you think of it ....

• Like 12

• Admin
2 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

I still have the live HTV 90 minute live match back in 1993 against Grimsby when we won 1-0.

A game that Humberside/Yorkshire channels did not cover.

Out of interest has Scott Davidson had any contact with you about the recordings you have? 

They'd be exactly what Bristol City Heritage are looking to get copies of so they'll never be lost 

• Like 2

• Admin
1 hour ago, Never to the dark side said:

I have spoke to Scott about the amount of recordings I have,

Scott and myself must have another chat.

I've just been in touch with him and he said they have the ability to copy VHS videos and also have an A2 size scanner and is interested to have a chat with you 

@Never to the dark side it would be amazing for Bristol City Heritage and the club to copy what you have and means it will be available for a very long time to come

Is it OK to pass on your email and contact number to Scott please? 

• Like 2
  • Robin 2

12 hours ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

... 1980. On You Tubes. Bob Houghton's first game. Martin Tyler commentating. Lost 0:1. It's worth watching just to remind yerself, actually, what we have now (as frustrating as it is), this is pretty bloody good at the moment. 

Dear me, we were dire at Grimsby. If there'd been a forum and a Matchday Thread back then, I fear Sir Gerry (Gow) might've come in for some "words." As might Alan Hay, who kept getting skinned down the left. Mabbs missed a bit of a sitter (nice lob-pass from Hay, though). Kev would've attracted online "opinion," no doubt. Tony Fitzpatrick? Our "recruitment" would've had a grilling there, too. @Olé's report would've been interesting. 

Big Dave Rodgers bust his jaw, we go 9 without a win. The club is in freefall. Two years later, we're losing 1:7 at Northampton in the 4th Division. 

Try and enjoy it tomorrow, and give the team a bit of backing, if you think of it ....

Your second paragraph just shows the rose tinted glasses effect on nostalgia doesn't it? Players become so much better (or worse) in our memories depending on which memories we retain.

14 hours ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Ha. I suffered through this last night. Fair play to bristol view, he/she seems to slowly archiving their video collection.

According to the highlights, we seemed to have one shot on target in the first half (if you'd even call it that), and none in the second.

I remember being their for a fantastic Dave Ronnie goal one year.

6 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Not sure tbh, I do recall it was tipping down though,

Was definitely Sunderland, last minute penalty for them.

We held firm for 89 mins vs their excellent side, Quinn and Phillips up front. Then..

Then there was the penalty that wasn't v Birmgihsm in April, they kept replaying it over and over on screens in the concourse at the end of the game.

Between the two was the game at West Brom funnily enough, playing on until they scored.

5 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Ha. I suffered through this last night. Fair play to bristol view, he/she seems to slowly archiving their video collection.

According to the highlights, we seemed to have one shot on target in the first half (if you'd even call it that), and none in the second.

I remember being their for a fantastic Dave Ronnie goal one year.

I remember us winning up there something like 3-0 or 3-1. Gary Marshall had the game of his life. IIRC we had an awful run of away games, something like Boro, Grimsby, York and some other far flung northern outpost all in about a month.