IGNORED

Cornicks chance…

BCFC1512

37 minutes ago, Spike said:

The same game that Wells scored in, we remove that and Wells scoring record gets worse again. Yes Cornick has no goals if you take that away but Wells plays in the middle, every game, Cornick has had around 20-40 minutes there. If Cornick had as many minutes as Wells in the middle I think we'd be seeing a whole different discussion but the fact is Cornick is willing to play out of position, Wells simply cannot and yet we're cussing out Cornick for not scoring from out wide when that's not his game.

I think you make a fair point. What is interesting is that Nige doesn't seem keen on the idea of Cornick up top.

On 16/09/2023 at 19:28, Davefevs said:

It’s also possible the defender gets to it if he tries to go more for the far corner.

Its a good chance, it’s a good save, it can be both…as a fan of the team who has the chance, you want to say “he should score”.  But it’s a snapshot under pressure.

++++++++++++

According to xG (sofascore) it’s a 0.24 chance…the fact that he got it on target, increases the xGOT (xg on target) to 0.55.

Having just watched it back, I agree with your first point. If he’d hit it further left, I think the defender would have blocked it. 

• Thanks 1

Just seen it again on tv brought down well good connection bloody good save , not a lot more he could have done in my eyes , but as it’s Cornick let’s get on his back ?. Agree that sometimes he deserves the criticism but other times he gets it just because he’s Cornick .

always remember Hewlett & Tommy Doc playing in the same team if Hewlett made a balls up crowd ( certain individuals on his back ) if Tommy made the same mistake 5 mins later , hard luck Tommy / next time Tommy followed by a rendition of the oh Tommy Tommy song - sometimes it’s just how it is some get stick some don’t 

I think Cornick is our Harry Maguire

• Like 4

15 hours ago, mozo said:

I think you make a fair point. What is interesting is that Nige doesn't seem keen on the idea of Cornick up top.

I think it's more a case we have Wells who can't play anywhere else, Bell has probably said he wants to play there as its his preferred position but is doing so well on the left that Nigel probably thought he'd earned a chance in the middle and when Conway is fit Cornick would still be behind him in the pecking order so he's probably playing Cornick wide because he is hoping he'll come good as Bell has. If Cornick shines in the middle he's suddenly got 3-4 strikers all fighting for that central role when Conway comes back, I'd imagine he would rather try and get one of them firing on another position. 

With regards to Wells, he can cross, he's quick, he'll run a lot too so I wonder why he doesn't get Wells out on the right with Cornick in the middle, well, other than I'd imagine Wells doesn't like the idea. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spike said:

I think it's more a case we have Wells who can't play anywhere else, Bell has probably said he wants to play there as its his preferred position but is doing so well on the left that Nigel probably thought he'd earned a chance in the middle and when Conway is fit Cornick would still be behind him in the pecking order so he's probably playing Cornick wide because he is hoping he'll come good as Bell has. If Cornick shines in the middle he's suddenly got 3-4 strikers all fighting for that central role when Conway comes back, I'd imagine he would rather try and get one of them firing on another position. 

With regards to Wells, he can cross, he's quick, he'll run a lot too so I wonder why he doesn't get Wells out on the right with Cornick in the middle, well, other than I'd imagine Wells doesn't like the idea. 

Agree that Wells does good work out wide, but for me that is Sykes' spot atm.

For me, "If Cornick shines in the middle..." feels a bit of an unlikely scenario, but I'd bloody love if he did. I haven't been impressed with him but if he could pop up with a couple of goals sooner or later I'd be delighted, especially if from that central position.

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

Agree that Wells does good work out wide, but for me that is Sykes' spot atm.

For me, "If Cornick shines in the middle..." feels a bit of an unlikely scenario, but I'd bloody love if he did. I haven't been impressed with him but if he could pop up with a couple of goals sooner or later I'd be delighted, especially if from that central position.

Don't hold your breath ?

• Haha 2

The singing for him last night was unbelievable!

It was great for the atmosphere and good to see him score; but if you were new to Bristol City watching last night you could be forgiven for saying “who is this Cornick fella and when did he score the goal that won you promotion?!”. 

Could be a real cult hero in the making. 

• Like 2

On 19/09/2023 at 14:51, Son of Fred said:

Don't hold your breath ?

I mean Wells played 60 minutes last night and didn't score, Cornick played 30 minutes in the middle and did score.

I can see a good player there, he's just not consistently used in the middle where he is best.

Also for the record he now has a better goals-per-minutes ratio than Wells and Wells has only played in the middle whilst Cornick has been forced out wide.

38 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s an awful song for a player…not sure where it even originates from in terms of Cornick.

But it’s catchy, gets the atmosphere going…so I love it.

Exactly.  It’ll make people join in.  Lots in the South Stand were clapping along even though they didn’t know the words. 

I find the way we've used Cornick really confusing. Why did he start ahead of Sykes for Preston, Birmingham and Norwich. We didn't win any of them, and Sykes has 4 goal contributions this season when he has started, which is no surprise because he was doing the same last season.

And why did it take so long for Cornick to be a central option when Conway and Weimann have been injured and Nige said himself that is the position we recruited Cornick for?!

Wasn't there also a game in which Bell was the spearhead?

I don't get it...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, mozo said:

I find the way we've used Cornick really confusing. Why did he start ahead of Sykes for Preston, Birmingham and Norwich. We didn't win any of them, and Sykes has 4 goal contributions this season when he has started, which is no surprise because he was doing the same last season.

And why did it take so long for Cornick to be a central option when Conway and Weimann have been injured and Nige said himself that is the position we recruited Cornick for?!

Wasn't there also a game in which Bell was the spearhead?

I don't get it...

Managers aren’t perfect!  Fans know best!

Seriously though, I thought a bit of physicality for Preston was the right call.  Ditto Brum.  He’d scored v Oxford in the cup too.  Whether that was Nige’s reasoning I don’t know.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Seriously though, I thought a bit of physicality for Preston was the right call.  Ditto Brum.  He’d scored v Oxford in the cup too.  Whether that was Nige’s reasoning I don’t know.

How dare you insinuate that Nige could be less than perfect Dave. I hope you have permit for that outrageous negativity! ?

Physicality is a good shout. In the wide area as opposed to central is a curious aspect.

I actually wonder if he could be the Sheringham to Conways Shearer, albeit we won't play two up top or indeed a 10 behind a 9. 

I'd personally start him ahead of Wells on Saturday. And thats not a criticism of Wells, who besides not threatening goal enough has been perfectly good in other parts of the role.

27 minutes ago, mozo said:

How dare you insinuate that Nige could be less than perfect Dave. I hope you have permit for that outrageous negativity! ?

Physicality is a good shout. In the wide area as opposed to central is a curious aspect.

I actually wonder if he could be the Sheringham to Conways Shearer, albeit we won't play two up top or indeed a 10 behind a 9. 

I'd personally start him ahead of Wells on Saturday. And thats not a criticism of Wells, who besides not threatening goal enough has been perfectly good in other parts of the role.

Fanboy of Nige that I am, I don’t think everything he does he gets right. ???

It’s interesting that summer before last (pre-21/22 season) Tommy was working with Weimann as a possible “in the hole” option.  Weimann of course had a stellar season behind Martin and Semenyo, and Tommy barely played.

Also when Tommy came back from injury last season v Reading (h), he played “in behind”.

• Like 1

On 17/09/2023 at 11:48, Davefevs said:

What’s your data source?

(because it’s wrong ?)

Observation from being at 7 games out of 9 and watching the other two on  tv, but I’m happy to bow to actual stats if you have them.  For me, he’s done a job, poorly at times, okay at others and and occasionally pretty well.  Some very good touches, energy, and closing  down but I was hoping g for proper competition and back up for Nakhi, Tommy, Sam and Andi, and yet he’s still the 6th choice.  Great goal on Tuesday, and hopefully that performance and the vocal support he got will give him a lot more confidence and he can push the others harder.  Time will tell I guess, and if  a good song helps, then he’s got that in his favour. 

• Confused 1

On 20/09/2023 at 20:21, Davefevs said:

It’s an awful song for a player…not sure where it even originates from in terms of Cornick.

But it’s catchy, gets the atmosphere going…so I love it.

Your post has echos of the kit kat advert from the 80s

https://youtube.com/watch?v=duE5rR4SkSA&si=W7DF1T_tCYMlUjeJ

Edited by Crackers Corner

On 20/09/2023 at 23:41, Davefevs said:

Plus anyone using the Norwich cup game as part of their argument isn’t understanding how we used that game, Sykes actually started the game as well.

Andy King played the full 90 then & he’s very rarely even got on in the league.

It was done to manage pitch time of the squad & as we won at Swansea clearly worked.

FWIW I’d start Cornick over Wells today as the only change but won’t be surprised at all if we go unchanged again.

Edited by GrahamC

7 hours ago, SouthS22 said:

Observation from being at 7 games out of 9 and watching the other two on  tv, but I’m happy to bow to actual stats if you have them.  For me, he’s done a job, poorly at times, okay at others and and occasionally pretty well.  Some very good touches, energy, and closing  down but I was hoping g for proper competition and back up for Nakhi, Tommy, Sam and Andi, and yet he’s still the 6th choice.  Great goal on Tuesday, and hopefully that performance and the vocal support he got will give him a lot more confidence and he can push the others harder.  Time will tell I guess, and if  a good song helps, then he’s got that in his favour. 

I think that’s where a bit of bias comes in to go “all-in” on he’s done “nothing”…because I instantly remembered him running through against Hull and forcing a save, so I didn’t even need to check stats…and he scored against Oxford.  We all have some bias to some extent, just some more than others.

image.thumb.png.0fb24141e0f6c28de5e234c33d703f8d.png

I think when there’s a player someone don’t rate, there is a tendency to look for the negative…and vice versa.  Two seasons ago, every bad touch by Wells got highlighted on the MDT because he wasn’t a smiler! ??‍♂️

For example Zak can do no wrong at the mo’, but little comment on any “mistakes” he made Tuesday.  There were three big-ones imho.  Had it been Naismith making them, he’d have got slated.

1. square ball to Naismith intercepted, Naismith bailed him out with two tackles
  2. not marking Hardie close enough when Roberts lost the ball and Hardie went on the hit the post.  Roberts error initially, but Zak didn’t react
  3. letting Hardie run off of him and initially almost half-hearted attempt to get back until he then reacted magnificently to win the tackle

I was surprised on social media that people were saying MOTM, but as above people are only looking at the good things he does.  18 months ago they’d be slating him.

Funny how things change.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think that’s where a bit of bias comes in to go “all-in” on he’s done “nothing”…because I instantly remembered him running through against Hull and forcing a save, so I didn’t even need to check stats…and he scored against Oxford.  We all have some bias to some extent, just some more than others.

I think when there’s a player someone don’t rate, there is a tendency to look for the negative…and vice versa.  Two seasons ago, every bad touch by Wells got highlighted on the MDT because he wasn’t a smiler! ??‍♂️

For example Zak can do no wrong at the mo’, but little comment on any “mistakes” he made Tuesday.  There were three big-ones imho.  Had it been Naismith making them, he’d have got slated.

1. square ball to Naismith intercepted, Naismith bailed him out with two tackles
  2. not marking Hardie close enough when Roberts lost the ball and Hardie went on the hit the post.  Roberts error initially, but Zak didn’t react
  3. letting Hardie run off of him and initially almost half-hearted attempt to get back until he then reacted magnificently to win the tackle

I was surprised on social media that people were saying MOTM, but as above people are only looking at the good things he does.  18 months ago they’d be slating him.

Funny how things change.

I think Cornick will turn some doubters, but there are an irrational minority who just won't give him any credit at all and never will. Bit weird. Another couple of goals and he'll be a fans favourite and the stick will pass on to someone else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Funny how things change.

I've been saying this for a while and been rubbished for saying it. Popularity seems to be more important to some than the actual performances. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

I think Cornick will turn some doubters, but there are an irrational minority who just won't give him any credit at all and never will. Bit weird. Another couple of goals and he'll be a fans favourite and the stick will pass on to someone else.

Play Cornick out of position and he'll look lost. Play him centre forward and he'll do well.

9 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Plus anyone using the Norwich cup game as part of their argument isn’t understanding how we used that game, Sykes actually started the game as well.

Andy King played the full 90 then & he’s very rarely even got on in the league.

It was done to manage pitch time of the squad & as we won at Swansea clearly worked.

FWIW I’d start Cornick over Wells today as the only change but won’t be surprised at all if we go unchanged again.

I'd be happy to take Norwich out of the equation and ask you why you think Cornick has been used the way he has?