IGNORED

Cornicks chance…

BCFC1512

Two things from me:

1) He worked the keeper into a reaction save, so it was a decent save IMO. Had he failed to test the keeper, he’d be more deserving of the pelters he’s getting now.

2) And this is the bigger point, the game should’ve been sewn up by half-time had we taken any of the previous chances we passed up. 

Edited by tin
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, tin said:

Two things from me:

1) He worked the keeper into a reaction save, so it was a decent save IMO. Had he failed to test the keeper, he’d be more deserving of the pelters he’s getting now.

The vast majority who have replied to this thread are in agreement it was a very good save, not sure why you think he's getting pelters as he's not,

I personally think if he would have started the game he would have took one of those changes in the first half

• Hmmm 2

44 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Really? Were you there?

Stupid questIon

Edit - I’ve now watched the replay and it’s even worse. He shot straight at the keeper. Aim for the corner and it would have been a goal 

Edited by pongo88
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, winsaw said:

The vast majority who have replied to this thread are in agreement it was a very good save, not sure why you think he's getting pelters as he's not,

I made the mistake of reading Facebook comments earlier, he's definitely getting pelters.

Social media turns out to be full of over the top reactions, who'd have thought it?!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

So, being generous, he looked the epitome of mediocre when he signed.  “Give him time” people said last season, which is fair.  

So 9 months in let’s be honest, he’s miles off the standard required.  I don’t blame the guy, but chances like that need to be taken.  

As does the open goal we missed first half, the one that had it been Cornick who missed it people would be saying forget the angle it’s an open goal and he’s a pro footballer……….

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

So, being generous, he looked the epitome of mediocre when he signed.  “Give him time” people said last season, which is fair.  

So 9 months in let’s be honest, he’s miles off the standard required.  I don’t blame the guy, but chances like that need to be taken.  

Strange thing is, that if we hadn't scouted him and signed him, he would probably be playing in the Premier League now.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Stupid questIon

Edit - I’ve now watched the replay and it’s even worse. He shot straight at the keeper. Aim for the corner and it would have been a goal 

It’s also possible the defender gets to it if he tries to go more for the far corner.

Its a good chance, it’s a good save, it can be both…as a fan of the team who has the chance, you want to say “he should score”.  But it’s a snapshot under pressure.

++++++++++++

According to xG (sofascore) it’s a 0.24 chance…the fact that he got it on target, increases the xGOT (xg on target) to 0.55.

• Like 4

Couldn’t make it today. I’m not a Cornick hater but not a (big) fan either. Needs to be given more time, we all know he’s not a replacement for someone like TC. Looked a good save.  IMHO my criticism would be after taking it down well the natural finish would firm contact and low near post. Then if the Keeper saves it then no complaints. 

15 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

He needs to play centrally. Like he always has. He was absolutely brilliant in his cameo at Swansea and dragged us toward FT with some of his hold up play and FKs won to slow time down. He’s absolutely not a winger.  

• Like 5

It's so easy to sit in the stands or watch a replay and say what players should have done. Why didn't they hit the cross to the back post, why didn't they hit it low and hard, why didn't he pass it 50 yards to the player in space, shoot low, lift it over, whatever.

Say you're at full sprint with a player breathing down your neck, glancing into a crowded box trying to pick your cross, making that split second decision isn't as easy. In Cornick's case when he was in the box maybe he glanced at the keeper, saw him still on his feet, glanced at the ball and hit it low and in that time he'd gone down. He's not looking at the bird's eye view we've got.

I think he took a great touch, hit it low and on target - it's a good shot, and a good save for me. Both Cornick and the keeper deserve praise imo.

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 19

Seeing as this has been dragged into another Cornick appraisal thread... I've got nothing against him, but it's clearly not a good sign that he's struggling for gametime despite Weimann and Conway being injured. Forget the twitter comments and witch hunt stuff, the most important factor is that Nige doesn't see him as high up the pecking order. 

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s also possible the defender gets to it if he tries to go more for the far corner.

Its a good chance, it’s a good save, it can be both…as a fan of the team who has the chance, you want to say “he should score”.  But it’s a snapshot under pressure.

++++++++++++

According to xG (sofascore) it’s a 0.24 chance…the fact that he got it on target, increases the xGOT (xg on target) to 0.55.

There are obviously different ways to look at any situation but, to me, it’s a perfect example of why City has only scored 5 goals in 6 games. It’s not just Cornick. Overall, though there’s lots of good buildup, there there just aren’t goals in the team.  To push for the playoffs a team must have forwards, midfielders and defenders who chip in with a few goals. This just isn’t City at the moment. The stats for today’s game show City had 14 shots with only 3 on target. Of the 3 on target Cornick’s was the best chance. The rest were powderpuff efforts. A lot of the 11 shots that were off target were hopeless shots from good positions that should, at least, have tested the keeper. 

(Even worse for WBA - no shots on target even though they had some good possession / attacks in the second half) 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Let me make one thing clear, Cornick didn't do anything particularly wrong in that game.

I am amused however by some posters here who respond to any criticism of the man as if someone had insulted their own mothers.

Only Pearson provokes a greater circling of waggons response. 

Think it’s more people responding to others who come across as having clear agendas - to see that chance as a sitter is ludicrous in my view, whether assessing by own eyes or xG. Most games would end 9-7 based on the views of a fair few on here and we’d need a lot more threads about specific chances. 

• Like 1