IGNORED

Cashley’s goal 50 years ago today

Jerseybean

On the edge of the East End that night, having moved under cover from my usual spot near the back of the open terrace by the enclosure, to get out of the wind and rain.

Good view of the whole event and a mixture of shock and disbelief when the ball went in.

Chants were uncomplicated in those days, often little more than the player's name 'Tommmmmmmmmmmm Rit-chie', 'Super-Cheese,' 'Sir Geoffrey Merrick,' etc. and Cash's usual chant of, 'Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay Cash-ley' was belted out like never before, over and over again, and the excited hubbub in the crowd continued for several minutes.

Am I amazed it was 50 years ago? Well, actually no, I was 15 and that is a hell of a long time ago!

• Like 2
  • Robin 2

2 hours ago, Homer Simpson said:

Bloody hell is it that long ago? I was there, if I remember rightly it chucked it down as well.

Too true. I decided to try out some new waterproof trousers before going on a Winter camp, so wore them that night standing on the Open End. We had a clear view of the ball going in, but didn't realise who had hoofed it upfield.

• Like 1