IGNORED

Cashley’s goal 50 years ago today

Jerseybean

Cashley scored in the Open End. I was 13 and behind the goal with my brother and two mates. I remember the momentary confusion before the rest of the team ran back to their own box to congratulate him.

I have a feeling that it was 4-1 to us. I also remember (it was definitely against Hull, but could have been another game) they had a very good centre forward called Stuart Pearson, who later played for Man Utd and England. He wasn’t the biggest. I remember a big kick from Wealands bouncing in front of him when he was marked by Dave Rodger’s (who was big). Rodger’s follows the flight of the ball looking over Pearson’s head, swung his leg and kicked him a couple of feet into the air. It could have been intentional, but at the time I thought Rodgers just hadn’t seen him. 

8 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Yep I was there. Right behind it in the East End.

You must have been stood next to me :drunk2: was 100% there in the EE but memory shot cant remember who it was against till I read this thread ?

Just now, redsquirrel said:

used to service their fleet of ford pool cars when i worked for bestcars in ridgeway lane. 10 years after the cashley goal

Blige, Bestcars, another blast from the past.  Is it still there?

Important question…what was the video rental place called on Gilda?  Bernco was Asda, what was the original name on Gilda, think it became an Enterprise???  Me and my mates were chatting about it the other day and none of us could remember it’s name.

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Important question…what was the video rental place called on Gilda?  Bernco was Asda, what was the original name on Gilda, think it became an Enterprise???  Me and my mates were chatting about it the other day and none of us could remember it’s name.

was the tv shop hr vision? im still friendly with rod baker  the senior technician,(when i see him) and regularly got shitfaced with him and a tall guy called paul from there over the yeoman after work?, (bestcars got knocked down for housing eons ago) i only ever knew gilda as gilda parade

Edited by redsquirrel

6 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

was the tv shop hr vision? im still friendly with rod baker  the senior technician,(when i see him) and regularly got shitfaced with him and a tall guy called paul from there over the yeoman after work?, (bestcars got knocked down for housing eons ago) i only ever knew gilda as gilda parade

Yes, Gilda parade….or “up the Gilda” to give it is proper name ???

4 hours ago, Brock said:

Cashley scored in the Open End. I was 13 and behind the goal with my brother and two mates. I remember the momentary confusion before the rest of the team ran back to their own box to congratulate him.

I have a feeling that it was 4-1 to us. I also remember (it was definitely against Hull, but could have been another game) they had a very good centre forward called Stuart Pearson, who later played for Man Utd and England. He wasn’t the biggest. I remember a big kick from Wealands bouncing in front of him when he was marked by Dave Rodger’s (who was big). Rodger’s follows the flight of the ball looking over Pearson’s head, swung his leg and kicked him a couple of feet into the air. It could have been intentional, but at the time I thought Rodgers just hadn’t seen him. 

3-1

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

50 years ago today Ray Cashley scored for City, with a long clearance from his own penalty area, against Hull City on a very gusty night.

Were you there? 

Yes cold windy rainy night, Hull City, one bounce and straight over Jeff Wealands (I think) and history I think Cash was only the 4th goalie ever to score in a league game 

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, Gilda parade….or “up the Gilda” to give it is proper name ???

Used to spend my Sunday mornings (early 70's) hanging round the Esso station forecourt (opp Gilda pde)  asking drivers filling up if I could have their world cup coins / Squelchers booklets etc 

• Like 2

On 18/09/2023 at 16:29, Jerseybean said:

50 years ago today Ray Cashley scored for City, with a long clearance from his own penalty area, against Hull City on a very gusty night.

Were you there? 

Sure was. I remember both of us posting on this a few months back. It was a very cold night and Ray throughout the match constantly kicked the ball to the other end of the ground. I remember the goal well as I saw the ball bounce in front of their goalie and over his head. I will always remember this as one of the best memorable occasions at Ashton gate.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

On the edge of the East End that night, having moved under cover from my usual spot near the back of the open terrace by the enclosure, to get out of the wind and rain.

Good view of the whole event and a mixture of shock and disbelief when the ball went in.

Chants were uncomplicated in those days, often little more than the player's name 'Tommmmmmmmmmmm Rit-chie', 'Super-Cheese,' 'Sir Geoffrey Merrick,' etc. and Cash's usual chant of, 'Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay Cash-ley' was belted out like never before, over and over again, and the excited hubbub in the crowd continued for several minutes.

Am I amazed it was 50 years ago? Well, actually no, I was 15 and that is a hell of a long time ago!

I was 11 years old and with my dad in the open end. You also mention some great players in your post, and they are true City legends. A fantastic era in our great club that not only Cashleys goal but then players then of that time were and will all ways be true legends for those of us lucky to have watched them play.

There will also be some great legends this season I hope as I have a good feeling it will be a good one.

12 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Norman Hunter had his shop on the Gilda ?

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He did, I was a regular in there, buying subbuteo teams.  Was either there or Sportscene for my boots.

On my last few visits back there was also a great Indian restaurant on the Gilda, from memory a pub just across the road as well.

14 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

That's going back nearly 50 years, can you remember City had a shop at the Broad Walk precinct during the '70s?

No, did not know that.

11 minutes ago, City oz said:

On my last few visits back there was also a great Indian restaurant on the Gilda, from memory a pub just across the road as well.

Paprika?  My bruv still lives in the area, he’s been in there.

The Yeoman?  Dunno if still there.

• Like 1