IGNORED

James - Williams - Knight (and Naismith)

hinsleburg

Feels like this has really started to click and we are seeing all of their respective skills and positive attributes enhance the team and the other 2 members.

Williams and Knight as the 'busy bees' have been relentless and helped us win the ball a lot higher up the pitch especially first half West Brom and last night. Allows James to sit deeper and dictate the tempo of the play however it's worth noting that with Naismith's distribution James doesn't need to stand on the toes of the CB and helps gets him 10 yards further up the pitch as well.

All of them are willing to cover and get stuck in which is evidenced by James goal last night, how often did we see him in that position last season? Once again, Naismith at CB enables a lot of this and is huge in getting the whole team up the pitch, we have fullbacks who are comfortable on the ball and can also tuck in as cover if needed.

Whilst you could argue it's missing the creativity of a Scott/Palmer/Paterson type player I think the 3 players at the moment give us a really good balance, makes us really tough to beat and allows the front 3 to be our creative output. 

Thought there was a good cameo last night from TGH and showed what he can offer in that 3 as well, I worry what happens if James and/or Naismith get injured as think they're probably our two most important players in this system (whether in Midfield or Defence). 

Ultimately though at the moment, we're tough to beat, we work hard and we're getting bodies in both boxes when needed, feels like we can set up at home to win the ball high and put pressure on that way and Away can be more effective on the counter. There's going to be ups and downs throughout the season and not sure we'll be the most prolific of scorers but feel like we're doing everything we can and still going in the right direction.

• Like 12
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, hinsleburg said:

however it's worth noting that with Naismith's distribution James doesn't need to stand on the toes of the CB and helps gets him 10 yards further up the pitch as well.

This was something I’d started to consider in the article I wrote during the international break:

https://medium.com/@davefevs/the-article-i-didnt-want-to-write-c0b4e1f38f94

In many respects why I’m keen to avoid moving Kal into midfield.

There are still some bits of tidying up for Zak and Kal to do as a defensive partnership, but just like last season in a back three, for me, the benefits of Kal outweigh the negatives.
image.thumb.png.1c02ee8c2e661cca552ca1613be50393.png

• Like 1

Williams has impressed me so far this season, although I thought his levels dropped slightly last night. He looks more like the player who impressed while playing for Bolton and Wigan. 

Naismith and James are indispensable. James’ influence is vital and Naismith’s wand of a left foot is crucial to getting us on the front foot. 

The midfield three are gelling as a unit, but the lack of depth worries me if injuries and suspensions begin to bite and that boils down to SL. 

Pretty sure James and Williams are in the final year of their contracts. I’d be extending James right now if he’s keen. Jury’s out on Williams IMO, but he’s doing his case no harm. 

• Like 1

I considered starting a new thread - ‘our best chance since 17/18’ - then realised I’d be going way too early. 

But what’s really filling me with confidence isn’t the many chances we’re creating (granted before last night we were missing them!) - it’s at the other end of the pitch. 

In Dickie (the ‘big wall’ type), Naismith (the passer who can certainly put a tackle in when needed) and Vyner MkII (what’s even left to say about Zak - what a defender), as well as industrious hard working full backs and Jamo shielding the lot of them… we’re keeping the ball out our net. This is the best defence we’ve had, imo, since Kalas/Webster. If they maintain this level, who knows where we land come May.

Good strikers win games… good defenders win trophies.

4 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

I considered starting a new thread - ‘our best chance since 17/18’ - then realised I’d be going way too early. 

But what’s really filling me with confidence isn’t the many chances we’re creating (granted before last night we were missing them!) - it’s at the other end of the pitch. 

In Dickie (the ‘big wall’ type), Naismith (the passer who can certainly put a tackle in when needed) and Vyner MkII (what’s even left to say about Zak - what a defender), as well as industrious hard working full backs and Jamo shielding the lot of them… we’re keeping the ball out our net. This is the best defence we’ve had, imo, since Kalas/Webster. If they maintain this level, who knows where we land come May.

Good strikers win games… good defenders win trophies.

And that is even before you consider Atkinson.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

27 minutes ago, tin said:

Williams has impressed me so far this season, although I thought his levels dropped slightly last night. He looks more like the player who impressed while playing for Bolton and Wigan. 

Naismith and James are indispensable. James’ influence is vital and Naismith’s wand of a left foot is crucial to getting us on the front foot. 

The midfield three are gelling as a unit, but the lack of depth worries me if injuries and suspensions begin to bite and that boils down to SL. 

Pretty sure James and Williams are in the final year of their contracts. I’d be extending James right now if he’s keen. Jury’s out on Williams IMO, but he’s doing his case no harm. 

I don’t worry too much about the depth with TGH, who I think will be a lovely fit personally, Sykes or Weimann can play AM/10, Naismith into MF if need be.

I posted this earlier.

They cover the whole pitch in one way or another.

30 minutes ago, Not Banksy said:

Was going to start a separate thread about this last night but the page was down...

Havn't seen a City player run games in years the way Matty James does. Quality.

So true.

I remember a certain podcast claim our midfield was (Scott aside) a “collection of mediocrity”. Truly clueless.

Matty James is right up there with any midfielders we have had who play his role, his awareness, touch, pass completion rate of about 99% & the way he nearly always gives a team mate the ball exactly where they’d want it, just so good.

Imagine being that good at playing the game, he’s a gem.

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

Knight looks a great signing and as someone that would have been happy for Williams to move on this summer I think he’s started the season really well.

As for James, for the type of midfielder he is and the job he does I think he’s probably the best I’ve seen play for City. An absolute class act, I find it truly remarkable that it took so many so long to see how good he is. I was still reading on here a year after signing that he was ‘Pearson’s mate’, absolutely ridiculous. Even if you didn’t notice how good he was you should have been able to see how performances dropped off when he was missing.

In fact, and I’ve stolen this from someone on Twitter, but if somebody doesn’t appreciate James it’s safe to ignore their views on football to be honest.

• Like 5
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, Not Banksy said:

Was going to start a separate thread about this last night but the page was down...

Havn't seen a City player run games in years the way Matty James does. Quality.

This. I said similar on Saturday. He’s always been a top player, but for me the big difference at present that he is fully fit and at his sharpest. Vital to us that we don’t lose him to injury at any point. 

7 hours ago, hinsleburg said:

Feels like this has really started to click and we are seeing all of their respective skills and positive attributes enhance the team and the other 2 members.

Williams and Knight as the 'busy bees' have been relentless and helped us win the ball a lot higher up the pitch especially first half West Brom and last night. Allows James to sit deeper and dictate the tempo of the play however it's worth noting that with Naismith's distribution James doesn't need to stand on the toes of the CB and helps gets him 10 yards further up the pitch as well.

All of them are willing to cover and get stuck in which is evidenced by James goal last night, how often did we see him in that position last season? Once again, Naismith at CB enables a lot of this and is huge in getting the whole team up the pitch, we have fullbacks who are comfortable on the ball and can also tuck in as cover if needed.

Whilst you could argue it's missing the creativity of a Scott/Palmer/Paterson type player I think the 3 players at the moment give us a really good balance, makes us really tough to beat and allows the front 3 to be our creative output. 

Thought there was a good cameo last night from TGH and showed what he can offer in that 3 as well, I worry what happens if James and/or Naismith get injured as think they're probably our two most important players in this system (whether in Midfield or Defence). 

Ultimately though at the moment, we're tough to beat, we work hard and we're getting bodies in both boxes when needed, feels like we can set up at home to win the ball high and put pressure on that way and Away can be more effective on the counter. There's going to be ups and downs throughout the season and not sure we'll be the most prolific of scorers but feel like we're doing everything we can and still going in the right direction.

I suppose if James got injured then Naismith could play in James role and Dickie brought back in to the defence 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

Knight looks a great signing and as someone that would have been happy for Williams to move on this summer I think he’s started the season really well.

As for James, for the type of midfielder he is and the job he does I think he’s probably the best I’ve seen play for City. An absolute class act, I find it truly remarkable that it took so many so long to see how good he is. I was still reading on here a year after signing that he was ‘Pearson’s mate’, absolutely ridiculous. Even if you didn’t notice how good he was you should have been able to see how performances dropped off when he was missing.

In fact, and I’ve stolen this from someone on Twitter, but if somebody doesn’t appreciate James it’s safe to ignore their views on football to be honest.

I’ve always seen James as a top quality midfielder and he’s got team mates around him now which help bring out his quality

As for Williams, I thought he did well last night but seems half a yard off it at times and his injuries has maybe taken its toll on his sharpness

As for Knight, this guy is a machine and sets the tone of the press. I was amazed how much work he got through and his stats must be off the scale 

I did feel slightly sorry for Nakhi as he works so hard but just can’t seem to find his scoring touch 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t worry too much about the depth with TGH, who I think will be a lovely fit personally, Sykes or Weimann can play AM/10, Naismith into MF if need be.

I posted this earlier.

They cover the whole pitch in one way or another.

Wow on Yeboah's stats in those pics! I knew he had plenty of duels but can't believe he nearly topped the stats in duels with that 30 odd minute appearance..

Maybe he can rotate in midfield if needed ?

At this time in question I think the starting 11 just about picks itself ( with good support which is needed in todays game from the bench ) my only slight concern is Tanner who I really like , committed aggressive ideal for Cardiff but he just seems to be lacking a bit of confidence and at this moment seems a bit limited . I know it’s a hard act to follow but would be 2 great full backs if he could be the right back equivalent of Cam pring who must opposing teams so many problems with his direct powerful marauding bursts 

5 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Wow on Yeboah's stats in those pics! I knew he had plenty of duels but can't believe he nearly topped the stats in duels with that 30 odd minute appearance..

I’d not picked that up, ta.

Gutsy performer isn’t he?

I’ve gotta be honest and say that about 18 months back, I was one that said I wasn’t sure on James. He didn’t look match fit to me and I know that’s only a matter of opinion, but I know he suffered minor injuries during that time.

But he’s so important for us. Absolute diamond of a midfielder.

Sorry MJ.

Went to the game with a mate who coaches at the academy. He had coached Yeboah, and said he had never come across a young player who was so competitive and so determined.

He was in danger of being released after Christmas last year, but basically said no way, and played the end of the season as if his life depended on it and silenced the doubters. That was basically 18/20 months ago.

He really really wants it. We might’ve found another gem.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

I thought he was excellent when he came on, for such a young player his hold up play was fantastic. Also pace allowed him to cover a lot of the pitch very quickly. I think we have a gem there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

So true.

I remember a certain podcast claim our midfield was (Scott aside) a “collection of mediocrity”. Truly clueless.

Matty James is right up there with any midfielders we have had who play his role, his awareness, touch, pass completion rate of about 99% & the way he nearly always gives a team mate the ball exactly where they’d want it, just so good.

One of those players that seems to have longer on the ball than anyone else.

So true.

Said last night, he could’ve played the game holding a full glass of wine and not spill a drop. So composed it’s crazy. 

• Like 1

So true.

I think where it really struck me exactly how good James was and how important he was to the team was last Autumn when he got injured and our form immediately dropped off a cliff. I think we've got better depth this year but I nonetheless agree with the OP that he and Naismith are the two most crucial cogs in terms of making our system work.. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think where it really struck me exactly how good James was and how important he was to the team was last Autumn when he got injured and our form immediately dropped off a cliff. I think we've got better depth this year but I nonetheless agree with the OP that he and Naismith are the two most crucial cogs in terms of making our system work.. 

good correlation between results being poor when James AND Naismith out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, redkev said:

At this time in question I think the starting 11 just about picks itself ( with good support which is needed in todays game from the bench ) my only slight concern is Tanner who I really like , committed aggressive ideal for Cardiff but he just seems to be lacking a bit of confidence and at this moment seems a bit limited . I know it’s a hard act to follow but would be 2 great full backs if he could be the right back equivalent of Cam pring who must opposing teams so many problems with his direct powerful marauding bursts 

I think Tanner’s developing nicely. He’s a solid RB who’s got the technique to offer more going forward with, as you said, a bit of confidence. 

My only concern is O’Leary, and there’s no back up for him. At least with Tanner there’s Gardner-Hickman and, in time, McCrorie.

1 minute ago, tin said:

I think Tanner’s developing nicely. He’s a solid RB who’s got the technique to offer more going forward with, as you said, a bit of confidence. 

My only concern is O’Leary, and there’s no back up for him. At least with Tanner there’s Gardner-Hickman and, in time, McCrorie.

Mcwho ??

• Haha 1