IGNORED

Thanks from Oxford United

Col The Ox

38 minutes ago, Col The Ox said:

Back in July I posted on here asking for support for our new stadium proposal. 

To those of you who responded to our County Council survey I'd like to pass on the thanks of all Oxford United fans, as yesterday Oxfordshire County Council agreed to let us have the land. It's a massive step for us, as there has been a concerted campaign from local NIMBYS, Green Party activists, and yesterday even some loon who spoke at the council meeting saying it shouldn't be built as nuclear warheads are transported past the site and we could all die! 

Hopefully you won't mind if I come back again asking for help, if it's needed during the planning stage, as our campaign to get other football fans involved was a great success. Thanks again.

Glad we have helped!

42 minutes ago, Col The Ox said:

To those of you who responded to our County Council survey I'd like to pass on the thanks of all Oxford United fans, as yesterday Oxfordshire County Council agreed to let us have the land. It's a massive step for us, as there has been a concerted campaign from local NIMBYS, Green Party activists, and yesterday even some loon who spoke at the council meeting saying it shouldn't be built as nuclear warheads are transported past the site and we could all die! 

Hopefully you won't mind if I come back again asking for help, if it's needed during the planning stage, as our campaign to get other football fans involved was a great success. Thanks again.

We had Mark Sykes off you for nothing, lending you a hand with your new stadium seems like the least of what we can do. 

• Like 7
  • Robin 2

• Admin
33 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

We had Mark Sykes off you for nothing, lending you a hand with your new stadium seems like the least of what we can do. 

That signing is absolutely nuts mind. He delivered more than I expected last season and this term he seems to have upped his game another level.

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Col The Ox said:

Good news. 

Just shows how ill informed some people are…

As someone who worked for a fair time at Aldermaston, I can assure you there are no live ‘warheads’ on the missile at the time it leaves the site to harm anyone, until it gets armed elsewhere, let alone be actually ready for use (God forbid!) by adding in the firing codes by the Government of the day.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Col The Ox said:

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

In no particular order just a brief reply to a few of the things you've mentioned:

The reason Mark Sykes was available on a free is because our idiot of a previous manager (Karl Robinson) threw him under the bus a few times in his penultimate season with us. Sykesy dared to answer back to him and Robinson slagged him off in public. So when he entered his last season with us Sykesy refused to even contemplate signing a new contract and was able to leave on a free. Very much our loss and your gain. The irony is that Robinson was sacked last season and our new manager, Liam Manning, is the sort of progressive manager that I'm sure would have got the best out of Mark Sykes. Anyway, good luck to him, there's no hard feelings from our side.

The amount of crap that the NIMBYS came out with was mind blowing in its ignorance and arrogance, and there was a real class aspect to a lot of it too. But they made the mistake of assuming all football fans were thick hooligans (most of us are intelligent hooligans!!!) and they very much under estimated the response from the fans. 

Yes, we've very much already stuck two fingers up to Kassam, as a fanbase, although we still have to play at his shit stadium for another three years. I absolutely despise the man for what he's done to my football club, robbing us of the best part of 25 years, that we'll never get back.

Just to close, I was a bit disappointed with the team we fielded against you in the Carabao Cup game, there were too many changes for us to do ourselves justice really, and you certainly took full advantage. Since then we've really gelled and are currently one point off the top, with a game in hand, so promotion is certainly the aim this year. Hopefully we'll meet again next season, unless you can go one better and get promotion yourselves. I see no reason why you can't be in the discussion at the end of the season.

I don't want to outstay my welcome, so will leave it for now, but may pop back with an update in the future if people are interested in hearing it?

Keep us informed mate and good luck.

• Like 2

One of the funniest moments I've witnessed, which is not at all in the spirit of the game, happened at the old Manor Ground.

This was the game (September 1993?) when Dave Penney did a sliding tackle on Junior Bent that had Vinnie Jones seen it, he would have winced.

Anyway, we had a fairly packed open end which wasn't exactly huge due to the limited terracing. Oxford had a corner and as their strikers rose to head the ball, they also had to deal with a hail of sugar cubes. The 6 yard box looked as if snow had fallen! The reason for sugar cubes? There was a hut at the rear of the terracing for snacks. If you needed sweetening your hot beverage, plates of sugar cubes were placed on the ledge underneath the serving hatch. The servers must have thought that a lot of City fans has a very sweet tooth!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Col The Ox said:

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

In no particular order just a brief reply to a few of the things you've mentioned:

The reason Mark Sykes was available on a free is because our idiot of a previous manager (Karl Robinson) threw him under the bus a few times in his penultimate season with us. Sykesy dared to answer back to him and Robinson slagged him off in public. So when he entered his last season with us Sykesy refused to even contemplate signing a new contract and was able to leave on a free. Very much our loss and your gain. The irony is that Robinson was sacked last season and our new manager, Liam Manning, is the sort of progressive manager that I'm sure would have got the best out of Mark Sykes. Anyway, good luck to him, there's no hard feelings from our side.

The amount of crap that the NIMBYS came out with was mind blowing in its ignorance and arrogance, and there was a real class aspect to a lot of it too. But they made the mistake of assuming all football fans were thick hooligans (most of us are intelligent hooligans!!!) and they very much under estimated the response from the fans. 

Yes, we've very much already stuck two fingers up to Kassam, as a fanbase, although we still have to play at his shit stadium for another three years. I absolutely despise the man for what he's done to my football club, robbing us of the best part of 25 years, that we'll never get back.

Just to close, I was a bit disappointed with the team we fielded against you in the Carabao Cup game, there were too many changes for us to do ourselves justice really, and you certainly took full advantage. Since then we've really gelled and are currently one point off the top, with a game in hand, so promotion is certainly the aim this year. Hopefully we'll meet again next season, unless you can go one better and get promotion yourselves. I see no reason why you can't be in the discussion at the end of the season.

I don't want to outstay my welcome, so will leave it for now, but may pop back with an update in the future if people are interested in hearing it?

Please do keep us updated and the best of luck getting your new stadium.

PS, to return the favour, could you smash the BS7 minnows please? 

• Like 1

On 20/09/2023 at 17:28, Col The Ox said:

Really pleased about that, having lived in Oxford I have a soft spot for your lot.

On 20/09/2023 at 17:29, Dollymarie said:

Ours got held up for several months because of some flipping newts! 
No I am not joking! 

Dolly, I work on major developments and newts are only one of a number of potential problems for developments to overcome (see also Bats, Badgers, Japanese Knotweed, archaeological finds...). Newts can actually be dealt with relatively 'easily' by rehoming. 

It's not a trivial thing, protecting our wildlife. Yes, it's a pain, but there are valid reasons for it.

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, SecretSam said:

Dolly, I work on major developments and newts are only one of a number of potential problems for developments to overcome (see also Bats, Badgers, Japanese Knotweed, archaeological finds...). Newts can actually be dealt with relatively 'easily' by rehoming. 

It's not a trivial thing, protecting our wildlife. Yes, it's a pain, but there are valid reasons for it.

I’m not saying that wildlife isn’t important, but the nimbys only seemed to want to look after them once they realised it helped their case :) (as in it wasn’t out of genuine concern)

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, SecretSam said:

Newts can actually be dealt with relatively 'easily' by rehoming. 

We are assured that newts are an endangered species. Despite that, all across the country developments are stopped because someone claims to have seen newts in that area.

3 hours ago, 22A said:

We are assured that newts are an endangered species. Despite that, all across the country developments are stopped because someone claims to have seen newts in that area.

They are and it's not because "someone claims", there are surveys for any development. Source: facts