IGNORED

How far down the pecking order…

Silvio Dante

….is Anis Mehmeti now? 

There’s a case he could have been brought on for any number of players last night to give people a rest (Bell, Knight, Sykes) but he’s rooted to the bench. It seems he’s behind two players on each side of the three up top (Sykes/Cornick/Yeboah/Bell), and for the AM role Knight plays when Weimann is back. That’s without Benarous and Conway to also come into the equation, and the possible emergence of Nelson.

The positive side is that it does show depth up there, and it might be a case that Nige is waiting to bring him on to provide an “X factor” to a game, but right now he seems a long way down to me. I missed the Norwich game but understand (and I think these were his last minutes as an unused sub since) he did frustrate.

I’ve said before Anis needed, for me, to learn to play “in a team” - and that is one thing this group are now, a real collective who all work together. I’m not suggesting any unwillingness in Anis’ part to do that, but is he just struggling too much in this system and what, if anything, is the answer?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

….is Anis Mehmeti now? 

There’s a case he could have been brought on for any number of players last night to give people a rest (Bell, Knight, Sykes) but he’s rooted to the bench. It seems he’s behind two players on each side of the three up top (Sykes/Cornick/Yeboah/Bell), and for the AM role Knight plays when Weimann is back. That’s without Benarous and Conway to also come into the equation, and the possible emergence of Nelson.

The positive side is that it does show depth up there, and it might be a case that Nige is waiting to bring him on to provide an “X factor” to a game, but right now he seems a long way down to me. I missed the Norwich game but understand (and I think these were his last minutes as an unused sub since) he did frustrate.

I’ve said before Anis needed, for me, to learn to play “in a team” - and that is one thing this group are now, a real collective who all work together. I’m not suggesting any unwillingness in Anis’ part to do that, but is he just struggling too much in this system and what, if anything, is the answer?

One thing Nige will not do is give him minutes for the sake of it. He will give him minutes when he deserves them. 

• Like 2

Think last night was slightly circumstantial in terms of bringing on Roberts over Mehmeti.  Whittaker looked threatening and although Pring finally got tight, just like Saturday against West Brom, Bell didn’t really do his job off-the-ball second half.  So a bit of solidity from Roberts.

He just had to keep working hard and be ready for his chance.

• Like 1

Think he was really unlucky in that when he signed it was clearly to play on the Left side of the attack. Within days of him signing (or a few before) Bell scores at Swansea and then plays so well that he has cemented that Left side berth as his to lose. Mehmeti, instead of being a replacement for Semenyo suddenly found himself as understudy to Bell.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Think last night was slightly circumstantial in terms of bringing on Roberts over Mehmeti.  Whittaker looked threatening and although Pring finally got tight, just like Saturday against West Brom, Bell didn’t really do his job off-the-ball second half.  So a bit of solidity from Roberts.

Worked a treat as well from my view in Dolman E32. Closed that avenue off having 2 defensive minded players on our left side. 

• Like 2

Just now, Davefevs said:

Yep - and you know I’ve said before a Pring/Roberts left side wouldn’t be a bad thing on occasions. I intentionally left Roberts off the OP as I think that’s a close the game out tactic; it can’t be how anyone envisaged that he’d be in effect 7th choice for 3 positions absent that having joined in January.

Agree Nige won’t give him minutes for the sake of it - but even considering our stretched general resources, I’d be looking at giving him an hour in the 23s if possible to keep some kind of sharpness

Met some family friends, colleagues, family of the Couhig (WWFC) guy in a Chicago hotel this morning (I was wearing my brand spankers black City jacket with black badge). They were a bit surprised after they were telling me what a player he is to be told he isn’t getting in!

Is he getting any game time in the 21s or anywhere outside of training? He does seem to be well down the order now! 

• Admin

The one thing I'll say is that Nige is still keeping him in the squad so he isn't thought to be a lost cause. I presume that means his attitude is still good and if he has the right mindset, he will hopefully be learning a lot whilst watching the players ahead of him from that bench spot.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agree. Worth a mention though that Anis has looked pretty committed to his defensive duties when he's had gametime. Bizarrely, it's more the forward areas in which he's lacking. That said, Roberts was an understandable choice.

One of the players (Conway?) was saying that Anis is a superb trainer, does extra work and is very talented. It sounded legit. So I guess it's not a training issue. 

15 minutes ago, Ian M said:

The one thing I'll say is that Nige is still keeping him in the squad so he isn't thought to be a lost cause. I presume that means his attitude is still good and if he has the right mindset, he will hopefully be learning a lot whilst watching the players ahead of him from that bench spot.

Nige etc, think a lot of Mehmeti.

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

Worth a mention though that Anis has looked pretty committed to his defensive duties when he's had gametime.

Yep, he’s more aware and harder working w/o the ball than Bell.

• Like 1

I think Sam is getting the nod not only because of his goals, but he's much happier to go outside the fb than Anis.
I've read they are working with him on this but it may take a little longer to get totally comfortable. 
There was so much space in the FB positions last night it made sense getting a left footer out there. I did wonder if maybe he would have come on for Sykes last night, as he really put in a shift. 
I think his time will come as he gives us something different.