IGNORED

View From the Lower Lansdown

Port Said Red

I sit in the Lower Lansdown and I often look down to the front and remember being at the very front when we beat Liverpool 1-0 (Royle)

There used to be a barrier just before the wall that a smallish person, child, could sit on and that’s where I was.

I can remember dropping my programme but by then it was so packed there was no way I could manoeuvre off the barrier to get it, so I waited until full time.

I’ve still got the programme and it still bears the scars of people treading on it. 

• Like 10
  • Robin 1

Old stagers like me can remember the Ringside seats in front of the Williams stand enclosure.  This was basically a bench that ran in front of the enclosure railings just by the side of the pitch. This gave a really different perspective of the match. I sat there once, next to the dugouts, and my overriding memory is of the awful pong of liniment from the players as they ran out of the tunnel 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

A change of scenery for me last night, my brother (77) was up from Plymouth for the game. I bought him his ticket in the Lower Lansdown and switched mine from Section 82 for the night. 

8 rows from the front affords you a superb view and I was struck by how much quicker the game felt and how you could almost feel the intensity of the tackling and jostling for the ball.

Although you lose a little perspective across the pitch it took me back to my younger days of sitting on the East End wall with my legs dangling through the railings. :)

My brother had a great time, though having travelled on occasions to Argyle away games with mates in the past, he was really disappointed to hear how quickly they turned on their team at half time.

He has been to 3 games in the last 7 years and seen 18 goals. (Hull 5-5, Coventry 2-1 and now 4-1) I wish he could come more often. :) I love to hear his stories of Atyeo, Boxley, Peacock, Williams etc from before I was born.

For what it's worth he said he hasn't seen a City team play with that level of intensity before, and was impressed that we looked equally as strong after the substitutions.

Thanks to the lads for providing  a great night for him, and "yah boo sucks" to the guys a few rows behind us who jokingly shouted at me to "act your age" when I joined in with the "stadium bounce". :)

Finally it was interesting to see Pearson having a little joke with Downsy and giving him a peck on the cheek as they were welcoming the players off the pitch at the end, perhaps not the pariah at the club that some think.

IMG_20230919_214023.jpg

IMG_20230919_192502.jpg

Glad you and your brother had a good evening - made better by the 4-1 score line ??

Yoo reddsss

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

He has been to 3 games in the last 7 years and seen 18 goals. (Hull 5-5, Coventry 2-1 and now 4-1) I wish he could come more often. :) I love to hear his stories of Atyeo, Boxley, Peacock, Williams etc from before I was born.

I haven’t seen a City win for about 18 games ? he’s seen some cracking games there 

The two highest scoring games I’ve witnessed are City 0-6 Cardiff and City 2–5 Doncaster

I'm a bloody curse 

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

A change of scenery for me last night, my brother (77) was up from Plymouth for the game. I bought him his ticket in the Lower Lansdown and switched mine from Section 82 for the night. 

8 rows from the front affords you a superb view and I was struck by how much quicker the game felt and how you could almost feel the intensity of the tackling and jostling for the ball.

Although you lose a little perspective across the pitch it took me back to my younger days of sitting on the East End wall with my legs dangling through the railings. :)

My brother had a great time, though having travelled on occasions to Argyle away games with mates in the past, he was really disappointed to hear how quickly they turned on their team at half time.

For what it's worth he said he hasn't seen a City team play with that level of intensity before, and was impressed that we looked equally as strong after the substitutions.

Thanks to the lads for providing  a great night for him, and "yah boo sucks" to the guys a few rows behind us who jokingly shouted at me to "act your age" when I joined in with the "stadium bounce". :)

Finally it was interesting to see Pearson having a little joke with Downsy and giving him a peck on the cheek as they were welcoming the players off the pitch at the end, perhaps not the pariah at the club that some think.

IMG_20230919_214023.jpg

IMG_20230919_192502.jpg

Good Luck to you and your Bro.................And WTF does "Act your Age" even mean?   You would have to be a complete "Cee U Next Tuesday" to make that kind of remark?  IMO

Edited by maxjak
  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

2 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Old stagers like me can remember the Ringside seats in front of the Williams stand enclosure.  This was basically a bench that ran in front of the enclosure railings just by the side of the pitch. This gave a really different perspective of the match. I sat there once, next to the dugouts, and my overriding memory is of the awful pong of liniment from the players as they ran out of the tunnel 

I sat on a ringside seat for my first ever game in 1966 versus Charlton Athletic!

15 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

IMG_20230919_214023.jpg

IMG_20230919_192502.jpg

Plymouth friend of mine was scathing about them booing at half time - entitled ***** was one phrase used. Quite right too!

4 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Plymouth friend of mine was scathing about them booing at half time - entitled ***** was one phrase used. Quite right too!

Yes. They went from "Argyle are magic everywhere they go" when they scored too "this is embarrassing" at 3-1 and they City winning every challenge. They didn't really have a go at lifting the team after half time either, no point in travelling in such great numbers if you are going to be that fickle.

• Like 1

Funny how you can form a mental picture of regular posters through their posts, or sometimes their avatar, and in reality - hardly surprisingly - they could hardly look more different.

Anyway, glad you and your brother had a great time PSR - if that's really you! :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

IMG_20230919_214023.jpg

IMG_20230919_192502.jpg

Just a word of warning I sat 11 rows back for the WBA game and when it was raining I was getting a sprinkling so bear that in mind if you go to the Lansdown again, sit at least 15 rows back to be sure of staying dry.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Funny how you can form a mental picture of regular posters through their posts, or sometimes their avatar, and in reality - hardly surprisingly - they could hardly look more different.

Anyway, glad you and your brother had a great time PSR - if that's really you! :thumbsup:

Tom Cruise Film GIF

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, pillred said:

Just a word of warning I sat 11 rows back for the WBA game and when it was raining I was getting a sprinkling so bear that in mind if you go to the Lansdown again, sit at least 15 rows back to be sure of staying dry.

I am in row 19, can confirm that over the last 2 or 3 seasons haven't been weather impacted at all. 

• Thanks 1

On 20/09/2023 at 21:47, Roger Red Hat said:

I've moved over from the Dolman, now in upper Lansdown, great view, comfortable and the leg room is excellent for a 6 footer!

Yes when zi used to take my two grandsons we used to go in the lower Lansdown and felt the view is good. We now go in the family blocks upper Lansdown as I saw loads with memberships . And if I on my own  I go into centre upper Lansdown from block . Cushioned seats and lots of keg room . 

Lansdown works all over for me ?

2 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Yes when zi used to take my two grandsons we used to go in the lower Lansdown and felt the view is good. We now go in the family blocks upper Lansdown as I saw loads with memberships . And if I on my own  I go into centre upper Lansdown from block . Cushioned seats and lots of keg room . 

Lansdown works all over for me ?

I might try that then, we are not even allowed a pint in our seats in the dolman let alone a keg!

• Haha 4