IGNORED

PA system - especially Downsey's microphone

Denbury Red

4 hours ago, Roe said:

The sound system itself is awful but it doesn't help when the guy behind the microphone doesn't have a clue either

The referee would have told him quite clearly that the game was stopped for a moment while he was sorting the technical issues with his goal line technology. Downsey then mumbles it back over the mic with no clarity at all. It should have been simple. 

At the end of the game he kept saying "see you on Saturday" as if we were playing at home this weekend and not the next

And he made a mess of announcing the substitutions again. He has no idea who plays for us and what their squad number is. I bet he knows all the egg chasers off by heart though…

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, myol'man said:

At least display the substitutions on the big screen 

We half heartedly did on Tuesday. 
Of the triple sub, maybe 4 of the players had their details up but it wasn’t clearly shown who was on/off. 
And at least put up the away team pre match and their subs on the screen as well since the audio is awful

45 minutes ago, myol'man said:
Edited by t_b
Double
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, phantom said:

May sound bizarre but it would appear so obvious you'd notice 

I would imagine it'd be displayed on the boards around the pitch too 

The stadium HSE would have regular tests (like fire drills in an office) to ensure it works. 

Thinking about it it's a surprise it's not even been mentioned on one of the various clubs websites as in what to look / listen out for 

This ⏫⏫

Everything would kick in on different systems 

Fair enough: on the safety side I take what you say on board.

But on the more day to day announcements side of things, do you not think it’s unacceptable that we have a PA system that no-one can hear, and a screen that no-one can read?

Apart from the teams, subs etc, the other time it’s been really frustrating has been when there’s some kind of pre-match or half time presentation/event. There have been times when this has all been going on and no-one around me has a clue what’s happening or why. 

• Like 1

• Admin
3 hours ago, italian dave said:

Fair enough: on the safety side I take what you say on board.

But on the more day to day announcements side of things, do you not think it’s unacceptable that we have a PA system that no-one can hear, and a screen that no-one can read?

Apart from the teams, subs etc, the other time it’s been really frustrating has been when there’s some kind of pre-match or half time presentation/event. There have been times when this has all been going on and no-one around me has a clue what’s happening or why. 

I'll add this to questions that I will raise with the club at the next SC&T meeting

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think he must read from a card and doesn't have the nouse to adjust to what is actually happening around him. Take the Lisa Fillingham tribute. As soon as her photo appeared on the screen, everyone, fans, players and ref began clapping and continued for around the two minutes it took for her life story to be read out. Downsy then said 'there will now be a minutes applause which will begin and end on the referees whistle" Ref blows his whistle and that roar goes up that signifies the end of such a tribute and the players break away to prepare. Not necessarily his fault but it happened with the Chris Garland one exactly the same.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, CrackingCheeseGromit said:

When the ref left the field after Bellys goal, and it was obvious something had happened to stop play, an announcement was made over the PA and I honestly did not understand a word of it from the South Stand. It struck me then that if this had been an emergency of any sort, we would all be none the wiser. The club should be very concerned at this.

That was an announcement?

.... genuinely thought he'd left the mic unmuted and was talking to somebody on the side of the pitch.

Edited by Fuber
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CrackingCheeseGromit said:

I think he must read from a card and doesn't have the nouse to adjust to what is actually happening around him. Take the Lisa Fillingham tribute. As soon as her photo appeared on the screen, everyone, fans, players and ref began clapping and continued for around the two minutes it took for her life story to be read out. Downsy then said 'there will now be a minutes applause which will begin and end on the referees whistle" Ref blows his whistle and that roar goes up that signifies the end of such a tribute and the players break away to prepare. Not necessarily his fault but it happened with the Chris Garland one exactly the same.

The same happened around the 11th of November too, when some people decided to take up clapping instead of being silent, the ref did the same then too.

Whenever he starts babbling, I just count down the mins to kick off. He really does my head in. It's so hard to be able to chat to people next to you with him banging on about something or other. He's too loud and most of what he says is just inane. Never liked him as our PA announcer from day 1 and still don't. I'm sure he's a lovely bloke but I find him an irritation. Sorry. I'm 44 and all I want to hear before ko is the odd good tune and the sound of the fans finding their voice. Not a commercial radio DJ. 

• Like 5
  • Flames 5

• Admin
3 hours ago, Fat Cigar said:

Whenever he starts babbling, I just count down the mins to kick off. He really does my head in. It's so hard to be able to chat to people next to you with him banging on about something or other. He's too loud and most of what he says is just inane. 

I don't arrive until the teams are entering the field, but I'm confused as you are saying that he's too loud, but I got the impression others are saying they can't hear him? 

3 hours ago, phantom said:

I don't arrive until the teams are entering the field, but I'm confused as you are saying that he's too loud, but I got the impression others are saying they can't hear him? 

Having started this thread - it seems the overwhelming opinion is that the pa system is just not fit for purpose - whether or not Downsey is the one to do the job is a different issue!

Can someone take this forward to the club and get it sorted once and for all - it’s been going on far too long!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Denbury Red said:

Having started this thread - it seems the overwhelming opinion is that the pa system is just not fit for purpose - whether or not Downsey is the one to do the job is a different issue!

Can someone take this forward to the club and get it sorted once and for all - it’s been going on far too long!

Denbury, for a start it’s not the club as they don’t own the ground and two Ashton gate limited won’t bother doing it due to the costs involved. 

• Like 1

• Admin
11 hours ago, Denbury Red said:

As above, I'll raise it at the next applicable meeting ?

11 hours ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

Denbury, for a start it’s not the club as they don’t own the ground and two Ashton gate limited won’t bother doing it due to the costs involved. 

I'm sure this will be the reply sadly 

51 minutes ago, Oldland2 said:

Just got back from Leicester game, Pa much clearer than ashton gate, can even read what’s on the tv screen clearly as well, brilliant considering it’s at the opposite end of the stadium, Bristol City sit up and take note 

I didn't go to Leicester, but at a guess, I'm gonna say....

'They haven't set their screen up like a 90s Web page with frames, and aren't trying to sell advertising spaces like the 'million dollar webpage' from the same period'.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oldland2 said:

Just got back from Leicester game, Pa much clearer than ashton gate, can even read what’s on the tv screen clearly as well, brilliant considering it’s at the opposite end of the stadium, Bristol City sit up and take note 

It’s almost like they have had access to a lot more money the past few years….

1 hour ago, Oldland2 said:

Yep a decent set up with "CLARITY" Ashton gate needs investment in this its not just about hearing it and safety it adds to the atmosphere as well it doesn't need companies coming out and doing a quick fix.

Edited by Street red

2 minutes ago, Street red said:

Yep a decent set up with "CLARITY" Ashton gate needs investment in this is not just about hearing it and safety it adds to the atmosphere as well it doesn't need companies coming out and to doing a quick fix 

The Fewers were selling their big screen, likely to be a couple of years newer than ours! Maybe Steve should offer a buy-back option. ?

6 hours ago, Denbury Red said:

Just to mention a PA system closer to home that is superb …

I went to the County Ground (Glos cricket) in Bristol on Tuesday to watch England v Ireland - until the rain came - and my goodness, how good was their system - so clear and loud!

So there are some good systems out there!

Most stadiums are that's why I'm confused to why Ashton gate is so poor it's one of the most important elements of stadiums.

• Like 2

I think he is trying to resolve the issue by getting as close to the mic as possible which does nothing for clarity.

My thinking is they cant get the volume up in the Lansdown because he stands in the tunnel area and it feeds back when they try to raise it, meaning that to get it louder he has to raise his voice which isnt working and is distorting. It could also be that they are stretching the limits of the wireless mic which can also result in bad sound.

They need a high pass filter at 90-100k as we dont need to hear the low end of his voice, they also need a compresser to catch his vocal when it exceeds a set volume so that clarity and quality is preserved. (They may have an EQ on the mic but whoever has done it needs re training)

Do we gain much from having him on a wireless mic, walking around? A static mic in a controlled area like a box would be much easier to control in terms of clarity and he could be given any information about subs etc, its not like hes walking round the stadium like they used to.

I dont have much faith in them to resolve the issue, theyve struggled to get the PA in the Lansdown hospitality right since it opened, and thats just a simple powered speaker set up (Because the speakers in the ceiling presumably feed back when they try to use them for guest speakers). Theyve resorted to having the guest walking between the tables being followed by a dinner trolly with a speaker on it so that section can hear, its embarrassing to watch every week and this is in an areas where the club should be trying to excel and upsell.

They must have engaged a company to organise and resolve the issues regarding sound in all areas of the stadium but I wonder who is resposible for the audio around the stadium and in the hospitality areas on a day to day basis? Do they actually have a trained technician or is this somebody from hospitality moonlighting?

Ive done sound and lighting for indoor and outdoor events for 15 years and if anyone from the club wants some free help im more than happy to offer it.

Sorry for the essay :)

Edited by Redfest
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 2

5 minutes ago, Redfest said:

I think he is trying to resolve the issue by getting as close to the mic as possible which does nothing for clarity.

My thinking is they cant get the volume up in the Lansdown because he stands in the tunnel area and it feeds back when they try to raise it, meaning that to get it louder he has to raise his voice which isnt working and is distorting. It could also be that they are stretching the limits of the wireless mic which can also result in bad sound.

They need a high pass filter at 90-100k as we dont need to hear the low end of his voice, they also need a compresser to catch his vocal when it exceeds a set volume so that clarity and quality is preserved. (They may have an EQ on the mic but whoever has done it needs re training)

Do we gain much from having him on a wireless mic, walking around? A static mic in a controlled area like a box would be much easier to control in terms of clarity and he could be given any information about subs etc, its not like hes walking round the stadium like they used to.

I dont have much faith in them to resolve the issue, theyve struggled to get the PA in the Lansdown hospitality right since it opened, and thats just a simple powered speaker set up (Because the speakers in the ceiling presumably feed back when they try to use them for guest speakers). Theyve resorted to having the guest walking between the tables being followed by a dinner trolly with a speaker on it so that section can hear, its embarrassing to watch every week and this is in an areas where the club should be trying to excel and upsell.

They must have engaged a company to organise and resolve the issues regarding sound in all areas of the stadium but I wonder who is resposible for the audio around the stadium and in the hospitality areas on a day to day basis? Do they actually have a trained technician or is this somebody from hospitality moonlighting?

Ive done sound and lighting for indoor and outdoor events for 15 years and if anyone from the club wants some free help im more than happy to offer it.

Been out of the PA game for a long time. Used to look after Ashton Gate pre Dolman stand. Wide open spaces to cover in the Open end etc, etc. The legend Dennis Langley on the mic and for Hospital Broadcast. Announcer needs to be just that not a bloody DJ. Oh and we did manage to use frequency shifters in event rooms where a mic needed to be in indoor areas with speakers. Probably old hat now.

1 hour ago, Redfest said:

If they take you up on your offer, don't forget the Dolman Stand. As has been stated many times, the PA and Downsey are inaudible, and for some reason, the club are unwilling to put it right.