IGNORED

Bristol City is now a big part of my life

The Original OTIB

On 23/09/2023 at 20:38, BUTOR said:

He’s not speaking like a man whose future is up in the air. That’s been the case for a few weeks now. 

I think something is imminent.

I've been thinking that for a few weeks, he seems more relaxed these days.

Maybe reading too much into it and SL will get his chopper out before the end of the season.......maybe I could've phrased that better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Ian Gay says we should wait til Xmas and then only give him a 12 month rolling contract. 

For me that would be an insult to Pearson and the work he has done. 

How is a 12 moth rolling contract an insult.?

It's the most sensible type of contract & basically runs indefinitely - it just means that at any point, there is a year left on the contract. 

• Hmmm 2

On 24/09/2023 at 09:40, One Team said:

That was great to hear. 

As I’ve said elsewhere, a Pearson version of the West Ham chant (one more year, two more years etc.) for Rice at the next few games would be good! 

The last time SL listened to the AG crowd he ended up giving Tomlin a three year contract 😗

• Haha 4

20 hours ago, TV Tom said:

The last time SL listened to the AG crowd he ended up giving Tomlin a three year contract 😗

Not quite. After this, he listened to the AG crowd giving LJ some stick - in the middle of LJ setting a new club record for consecutive league defeats - and suggesting Steve get his "Johnson" out, and thought: sod you lot, my money my club, I'm extending Lee's contract.

On 24/09/2023 at 11:44, And Its Smith said:

Not a huge surprise for him to say this. He’s managed about a dozen sides and we are the second longest spell he’s had at a club. 

And, dare I say it - because there seem to plenty on here who won’t hear a word of good about SL - that has to be a reflection on SL too. Whatever else you can say about him, he has realistic expectations and sets realistic targets for managers. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

How is a 12 moth rolling contract an insult.?

It's the most sensible type of contract & basically runs indefinitely - it just means that at any point, there is a year left on the contract. 

Because he deserves a long term contract. 

I don't like rolling contracts. You give them to the likes of Dean Holden, not Nigel Pearson. 

• Like 1

On 26/09/2023 at 15:13, Sheltons Army said:

It’s not long back that all three musketeers wanted Pearson sacked

Sometimes I listen to the waffle they come out with and think wtf. 

I'm no expert but I'm sure if a club gave a manager a 3 year contract, there will be plenty of clauses within that contract. So for example, if a club gets relegated then only X amount of compensation would be due. 

I think it would be very rare for a club to pay out on the entirety of a contract. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Sometimes I listen to the waffle they come out with and think wtf. 

I'm no expert but I'm sure if a club gave a manager a 3 year contract, there will be plenty of clauses within that contract. So for example, if a club gets relegated then only X amount of compensation would be due. 

I think it would be very rare for a club to pay out on the entirety of a contract. 

If we want to keep NP , I’d estimate that more than anything he would appreciate ‘being ‘appreciated ‘ 

The manner of an approach to him re a new contract , and the ‘message’ in a say 3 year contract would reinforce that

You are correct in that Contract could and would almost certainly contain clauses , but you (ie They - Lansdown and Son) either recognise the job he’s done and back him or they don’t

We should be doing everything we can to keep him IMHO

Cue Lansdowns biggest **** up under his ownership, which would be some feat considering the contenders

• Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

48 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I’m sure I have a memory of one of Nigel’s first interviews, when asked about his contract he said he had a 12 month rolling contract which suited him and was what he was used to. 

Well that isn’t true as he signed a 3 year deal.

Maybe you’re thinking of Sean O’Driscoll?

• Flames 1

22 minutes ago, Henry said:

Well that isn’t true as he signed a 3 year deal.

Maybe you’re thinking of Sean O’Driscoll?

It might have been when he first joined us, which was on a short term deal but I’m sure he said in an interview, that he didn’t mind rolling contracts. Maybe he said he’d had them before? 

Then in the April he signed the 3 year deal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

I’m sure I have a memory of one of Nigel’s first interviews, when asked about his contract he said he had a 12 month rolling contract which suited him and was what he was used to. 

Think that was when he first came he signed til the end of the season, then signed a 3-Yr deal.

• Robin 1

2 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

If we want to keep NP , I’d estimate that more than anything he would appreciate ‘being ‘appreciated ‘ 

The manner of an approach to him re a new contract , and the ‘message’ in a say 3 year contract would reinforce that

You are correct in that Contract could and would almost certainly contain clauses , but you (ie They - Lansdown and Son) either recognise the job he’s done and back him or they don’t

We should be doing everything we can to keep him IMHO

Cue Lansdowns biggest **** up under his ownership, which would be some feat considering the contenders

You're bang on the money there.

It's about the message it sends to the fanbase and more importantly it shows the commitment from Lansdown to Nigel. Nige is big on those sort of things. 

The clauses will ensure no massive pay out is required if things went belly up. Probably 6-12 months of wages which is exactly the same as a 12 month rolling contract.