IGNORED

U21s v Ipswich

Northern Red

22 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

My guess would be not looking at his career history, the fact he was hooked at half time and Niges prior statements about when he expects players to be in or around the first team. I’d be surprised if this was a goer.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

image.png

Which is why I get so defensive and over zealous about how absolutely crazy our academy to first team effectiveness has been since Pearson came in.

Benarous 20, Bell 21, Conway 21, Yeboah 17….all making/made huge strides in the first team already - we are almost just getting used to it because of how regularly a new name pops up and fits in so seamlessly, but it really really isn’t ‘normal’ - especially not for us. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Which is why I get so defensive and over zealous about how absolutely crazy our academy to first team effectiveness has been since Pearson came in.

Benarous 20, Bell 21, Conway 21, Yeboah 17….all making/made huge strides in the first team already - we are almost just getting used to it because of how regularly a new name pops up and fits in so seamlessly, but it really really isn’t ‘normal’ - especially not for us. 

I 100% agree, and this is where I think SL has shown a real blind spot (yes, back to the “nest egg” comment).

The pathway to the first team of younger academy players - and improvement in players like Zak - under Nige is insane. When you see so many coming through, there is a tendency to think “well this is the norm” - so in Steve’s eyes, Semenyo for £10m, Scott for £25m - well we then have Conway who can go for £x, Bell who can go for £y and Yeboah who can go for £z. And that leads to his “we can sell one a year” comment - he’s now become used to players coming from £0 and potentially being sold for millions, both in the actual and potential sales.

If anything, and this is an angle I’ve not considered before, has Nige done too well and our owner now considers an exception normal because of how well NP has brought players through?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

I 100% agree, and this is where I think SL has shown a real blind spot (yes, back to the “nest egg” comment).

The pathway to the first team of younger academy players - and improvement in players like Zak - under Nige is insane. When you see so many coming through, there is a tendency to think “well this is the norm” - so in Steve’s eyes, Semenyo for £10m, Scott for £25m - well we then have Conway who can go for £x, Bell who can go for £y and Yeboah who can go for £z. And that leads to his “we can sell one a year” comment - he’s now become used to players coming from £0 and potentially being sold for millions, both in the actual and potential sales.

If anything, and this is an angle I’ve not considered before, has Nige done too well and our owner now considers an exception normal because of how well NP has brought players through?

You need to get out more!

4 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Just further evidence of how little SL understands about football.

When you consider how long he’s been involved with us this is both incredible & depressing.

• Like 3
  • Flames 3
  • Robin 2

19 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Is it not Nige's remit, set by SL, that we need to rely more on the pathway? 

We don't who set the expectation here?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mozo said:

Is it not Nige's remit, set by SL, that we need to rely more on the pathway? 

We don't who set the expectation here?

I agree, and I think he’s been delivering in spades.

My point is that he’s delivered a pathway that is beyond expectations. As a result, the owner has now seen exceptional as normal - hence “expecting” a sale akin to Semenyo or Scott every year with equal quality coming through to replace.

Put simply, if Nige (and Tinns) hadn’t brought through the players they have I’d bet Lansdowns hand would be in his pocket willingly at this stage. Had it just been Scott, he’d have seen it as a one off. He now seems to expect a new £10m academy player every year from his comments.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

What owners don’t understand / think about is when you sell a Scott or Semenyo, who replaces them.  If you replace them with Academy, then the conveyor belt keeps on rolling.  However if you replace with signings, even ones like Knight, that’s 1) one less off the conveyor belt and 2) it’s not all profit either.

The good thing is to have a nice balance.

Achieving that is difficult.

Even with 20 man match days squads we are actually naming less Academy players this season.  Some of that due to injury (Conway) some due to sales (Scott).

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I agree, and I think he’s been delivering in spades.

My point is that he’s delivered a pathway that is beyond expectations. As a result, the owner has now seen exceptional as normal - hence “expecting” a sale akin to Semenyo or Scott every year with equal quality coming through to replace.

Put simply, if Nige (and Tinns) hadn’t brought through the players they have I’d bet Lansdowns hand would be in his pocket willingly at this stage. Had it just been Scott, he’d have seen it as a one off. He now seems to expect a new £10m academy player every year from his comments.

Yeah, agree, was just playing devil's advocate.

Bit of a tangent but surprised no one has highlighted that young Nelson is on the bench for the first team but doesn’t ever play for the 21s.

He’s not injured but I was told there is a specific reason for this.

With Zak now injured & Weimann back far more logical to me to have Knight-Lebel on the bench instead as defensive cover but Nige clearly has his own reasons.

On 27/09/2023 at 07:26, GrahamC said:

Bit of a tangent but surprised no one has highlighted that young Nelson is on the bench for the first team but doesn’t ever play for the 21s.

He’s not injured but I was told there is a specific reason for this.

With Zak now injured & Weimann back far more logical to me to have Knight-Lebel on the bench instead as defensive cover but Nige clearly has his own reasons.

Can you reveal the specific reason?