IGNORED

Stoke fans

22A

23 hours ago, redkev said:

Bet he was looking forward to getting back to his parent club ( wherever that may be ) 

1. it has to be the coldest ground ( along with Oldham ) that I have been to 

2.Stoke compared to a lot of other places I have visited ( work related ) is a shitehole ( as is Hull & Boro )

I can vouch for it being cold up there as I recall freezing my nuts off when Tinnion scored from the halfway line many years ago. What a goal that was, mind.

I’ve never had any time for Stoke. The LDV Final, bottles flying outside the Ship and Castle, scrapping before we lost up there under GJ. Horrible club in a hovel. 

2 minutes ago, tin said:

I can vouch for it being cold up there as I recall freezing my nuts off when Tinnion scored from the halfway line many years ago. What a goal that was, mind.

I’ve never had any time for Stoke. The LDV Final, bottles flying outside the Ship and Castle, scrapping before we lost up there under GJ. Horrible club in a hovel. 

Horrid club who’s fans we tend to clash with quite often ( bit of history with them down the years ) 

5 minutes ago, tin said:

Waiting for Stoke having a quiet drink outside the Ship and Castle, I seem to remember fireworks being thrown as they passed.  I also remember it because the police rocked up with dogs, and these weren’t the German Shepherd types I was used to, but big Dobermans* - never seen so many blokes take a step back so quickly.

*could have been something else, it was a long time ago now. 

• Flames 1

8 minutes ago, redkev said:

Horrid club who’s fans we tend to clash with quite often ( bit of history with them down the years ) 

If memory serves me when we played them at home about 2000 is is was still kicking off with them in the park about a hour after the game ,also the cup game about then was again quite lively. 

12 minutes ago, sticks 1969 said:

If memory serves me when we played them at home about 2000 is is was still kicking off with them in the park about a hour after the game ,also the cup game about then was again quite lively. 

Yes your correct sticks , I wouldn’t go to The gate at around that time as Pulis was in charge and I couldn’t stand him or the dross football him and that other gas head Lynsey parsons were serving up . 
it was at the time you could park up on the Cumberland basin . I had dropped the 2 boys down then would pick them up about 10 mins after the end as all the parked cars would have gone and the 2 lads would wait for me there then I could just pitch up pick them up and be off . That day couldn’t get nowhere near the place as they were fighting on both sides of the road on Cumberland basin old bill everywhere , what I did see was proper fighting both sets of fans going for it , no pavement dancers that day 

31 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Waiting for Stoke having a quiet drink outside the Ship and Castle, I seem to remember fireworks being thrown as they passed.  I also remember it because the police rocked up with dogs, and these weren’t the German Shepherd types I was used to, but big Dobermans* - never seen so many blokes take a step back so quickly.

*could have been something else, it was a long time ago now. 

Just looked it up, I think that was in March 2000 - 23 years ago! I remember those big bastard dogs as well while also having a quiet drink out the front of the Ship that night!

• Like 2

I'm going to defend Stoke fans. I used to live there and they are really passionate about their club (and to be fair, Vale fans are equally committed). It is a deprived area, but the people are genuine, friendly and will help anyone out. It is very cold, I'm not going to lie and it certainly doesn't have the appeal of Bristol - but let's be fair, few cities in England do have.

As regards the N40, many clubs have/had hooligan firms, so it is a bit rich us criticising Stoke for having a pretty active and 'successful' firm.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Their forum (Oatcake) at the moment is an interesting read. The feeling against both Neil and the Coates is very strong.

You sense it is a good time to play them. Famous last words. Let’s hope he isn’t sacked tomorrow.

Neil I get I'm even if I think it's too soon. 17 players, takes time but brings with it its own pressure.

Feels like more of a 2-3 year plan to me, rather than promotion now or here and now..that sort of overhaul. Then you incrementally strengthen and tweak after the big push in the first summer.

Coates family however? I'm a critic of the gambling industry link and the FFP stuff which incidentally I still hope is being investigated!

However free travel, season ticket prices held at something akin do many years ago and they had a fun decade or so, while nobody is above criticism or should be, they are in many respects very good local owners.

Best will in the world, who is going to come into Stoke City FC and invest as much as them with seemingly no great hope or expectation of a financial return.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

I'm going to defend Stoke fans. I used to live there and they are really passionate about their club (and to be fair, Vale fans are equally committed). It is a deprived area, but the people are genuine, friendly and will help anyone out. It is very cold, I'm not going to lie and it certainly doesn't have the appeal of Bristol - but let's be fair, few cities in England do have.

As regards the N40, many clubs have/had hooligan firms, so it is a bit rich us criticising Stoke for having a pretty active and 'successful' firm.

Deprived area = shite hole , bit like Hull & Boro total lack of investment in the city , but totally agree about the people as in a lot of Northern towns very approachable and much more sociable than us in the south , my job takes me all around the country and I find people from up north & south wales are much more down to earth and sociable than us Home Counties , Kent , London & the south coast these places all want to seem to be better than the joneses so to speak , don’t even get me onto Cornish people they really are another breed in my eyes .

Another funny lot are scousers get them talking about football politics or the government and they do my head in but generally are very welcoming every time I have been there . Best in my eyes though are People from the North east generally very good people 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Neil I get I'm even if I think it's too soon. 17 players, takes time but brings with it its own pressure.

Feels like more of a 2-3 year plan to me, rather than promotion now or here and now..that sort of overhaul. Then you incrementally strengthen and tweak after the big push in the first summer.

Coates family however? I'm a critic of the gambling industry link and the FFP stuff which incidentally I still hope is being investigated!

However free travel, season ticket prices held at something akin do many years ago and they had a fun decade or so, while nobody is above criticism or should be, they are in many respects very good local owners.

Best will in the world, who is going to come into Stoke City FC and invest as much as them with seemingly no great hope or expectation of a financial return.

The parallels with OTIB debates about the Lansdowns are very clear.

Wealthy local owners, well intentioned, spend money on the club, yet the recent track record is abysmal. The choice of managers - a succession of cautious British ones - seems to be the heart of the complaints. Familiar?

I don't really know what they are moaning about on a deep level. Frustrating start to the season yes given the amount they have spent.

They had a nice run in the Prem, which we haven't, but ultimately they are a club of similar resources to us, same fanbase, so without parachute payments like us, they need all the stars aligned for a promotion run.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Leveller said:

The parallels with OTIB debates about the Lansdowns are very clear.

Wealthy local owners, well intentioned, spend money on the club, yet the recent track record is abysmal. The choice of managers - a succession of cautious British ones - seems to be the heart of the complaints. Familiar?

Yes some significant parallels albeit very happy with NP and frankly he deserves a new 2-3 year deal.

However Stoke 2007 to 2018, no real cause for complaint. Even since coming down among the bigger spenders at this level in some respects, some sharp practice with FFP and Covid which SL never did which is to his credit.

Then there is the free travel etc. I see no real cause for complaint.

*Promotion in 2008

*Decade in the top flight

*Cup final

*Cup semi final

*A season in Europe.

*Some notable and famous wins vs the big 5 or 6.

*Under Hughes played some great football for a time.

Plus as I say free travel to away games.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

I don't really know what they are moaning about on a deep level. Frustrating start to the season yes given the amount they have spent.

They had a nice run in the Prem, which we haven't, but ultimately they are a club of similar resources to us, same fanbase, so without parachute payments like us, they need all the stars aligned for a promotion run.

Promotion run? In the five seasons since being relegated to the Championship, they haven’t finished in the top half. That’s the issue. Despite having rich owners, they’re not competitive and are showing no signs of improvement. You can’t live on past glories forever.