IGNORED

Stoke fans

22A

Most teams now seem to have decent away support including us , Only Hull that we haven’t sold out ( understandably) Friday night etc but still decent numbers , Cardiff & Leeds coming up no doubt sell outs , then there Rotherham ( won’t take many there at night and Southampton on a night game be interesting if we sell out there , qpr always take a near sell out , in my opinion the real test of have much our away support has improved will be Huddersfield 9th December Saturday game , been there a few times never taken very big numbers my memory serves me correctly 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

In 2002 we played them on the final day of the season, and they were due to meet Cardiff in the playoffs, so as I was leaving the stadium, I wished good luck to a passing Stoke supporter, who promptly told me to "**** off". Pretty much sums up their supporters really.

Your good wishes worked. It was a classic Playoff semi with Stoke coming back from 1-2 down after the first leg at home to win in extra time at Cardiff.

They won a very one sided final v Brentford 2-0, back in Cardiff. I was at that game. 

2 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Stoke are a good example of why you should be more like Nige and rarely if ever use the loan system.

Last season they started to have a good run, then a few of their loan players were showing signs of not being bothered, one even tweeting how he was looking forward to getting back to his parent club

This season they start afresh all over again. 

Bet he was looking forward to getting back to his parent club ( wherever that may be ) 

1. it has to be the coldest ground ( along with Oldham ) that I have been to 

2.Stoke compared to a lot of other places I have visited ( work related ) is a shitehole ( as is Hull & Boro )

15 minutes ago, redkev said:

Bet he was looking forward to getting back to his parent club ( wherever that may be ) 

1. it has to be the coldest ground ( along with Oldham ) that I have been to 

2.Stoke compared to a lot of other places I have visited ( work related ) is a shitehole ( as is Hull & Boro )

I’ve had some bitter days there, one time my father in law needed treatment from St. John’s as he was getting hyperthermia.

Oddly our last 2 games and the one before covid have been warm balmy days.

Sadly it is a place badly in need of some money being spent.

1 minute ago, ralphindevon said:

I’ve had some bitter days there, one time my father in law needed treatment from St. John’s as he was getting hyperthermia.

Oddly our last 2 games and the one before covid have been warm balmy days.

Sadly it is a place badly in need of some money being spent.

Money spent or bombing ,

the one thing I have noticed in Stoke mainly around Burslem ( port vale territory) there are a lot of old fashion proper pubs ( not saying there decent inside ) but look the part on passing 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, redkev said:

Money spent or bombing ,

the one thing I have noticed in Stoke mainly around Burslem ( port vale territory) there are a lot of old fashion proper pubs ( not saying there decent inside ) but look the part on passing 

I’ve been in one there for Sunday lunch, very traditional. Others are just like being in someone’s living room. Nice Oatcakes though.

1 minute ago, TV Tom said:

Would of thought that lunatic Tory MP that Stoke have would of sorted that out

Well, they’ve themselves to blame for that fiasco.

5 hours ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

English football's angriest fans:

Everton 

Leeds

Millwall

Stoke

Amongst others ....

I agree apart from Millwall. Nasty maybe but not angry. 

I think the anger comes from those who have known greatness but lost it.

For that reason, I'd add Notts Forest (that really winds them up). And, in a couple of years, Manchester Red. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, redkev said:

Most teams now seem to have decent away support including us , Only Hull that we haven’t sold out ( understandably) Friday night etc but still decent numbers , Cardiff & Leeds coming up no doubt sell outs , then there Rotherham ( won’t take many there at night and Southampton on a night game be interesting if we sell out there , qpr always take a near sell out , in my opinion the real test of have much our away support has improved will be Huddersfield 9th December Saturday game , been there a few times never taken very big numbers my memory serves me correctly 

My birthday.............but, at the end of the day I suppose it depends on where we are and how we're playing whether we get a really decent following ?

2 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Impressive following, especially as there’s no trains Saturday? 

Stoke provide free coach travel, to every away game. Imagine that? They've done this for ten years. Imagine that?

I suppose Steve did pay for his whopping great big Steve Lansdown Stand, which he charges anything up to £40 odd quid to sit in, so we shouldn't whinge and moan that he has never laid on any free travel in his time here (afaik), not even up Horfield to the Mem. And why would he? What's in it it for him/us? Free travel to an away game thereby ensuring the opposition a bumper pay day (we could always promise to trash the toilets, Steve, if you would be prepared to pay for us to go by coach to Plymuff, Cov, Stoke, somewhere).

Funnily enough, Stoke's away support was dismal in the Prem, after a few years, when their away form was dismal. They stopped going. So the club decided to do something about it, and years later, they still have people travelling in numbers a division lower when they're still dismal.

Owners that "get" supporters, and football, and can see beyond pounds, shillings and pence. 

• Thanks 2
  • Robin 1

3 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Can’t stand Stoke, ever since the Wembley game. Hope we batter them and turn the screw further on their manager. 

We were destined to lose that, Sir Stanley Matthews had just passed away and SL made a pigs ear of the pre game club song etc.

Yeah, we lost but it felt like we were supposed to to me.

• Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Stoke provide free coach travel, to every away game. Imagine that? They've done this for ten years. Imagine that?

I suppose Steve did pay for his whopping great big Steve Lansdown Stand, which he charges anything up to £40 odd quid to sit in, so we shouldn't whinge and moan that he has never laid on any free travel in his time here (afaik), not even up Horfield to the Mem. And why would he? What's in it it for him/us? Free travel to an away game thereby ensuring the opposition a bumper pay day (we could always promise to trash the toilets, Steve, if you would be prepared to pay for us to go by coach to Plymuff, Cov, Stoke, somewhere).

Funnily enough, Stoke's away support was dismal in the Prem, after a few years, when their away form was dismal. They stopped going. So the club decided to do something about it, and years later, they still have people travelling in numbers a division lower when they're still dismal.

Owners that "get" supporters, and football, and can see beyond pounds, shillings and pence. 

Fair play to Stoke but 91 other teams in the football pyramid don't provide free coach travel

2 hours ago, stephenkibby. said:

Dose anyone stay anywhere apart from a City center?

No one comes to Bristol and stays in   Withywood or Hartcliffe or even gets anywhere near when   visiting the City.

From Hartcliffe by the way.

I’m only jesting , I work all over the country and know there’s good and bad everywhere ,

generally away teams stay at Aztec west hotel when playing city , not all but a fair few 

I'm flying over for this game and staying in Stoke but travelling down with an exiled Red...and a few Stokies. It is a tradition of ours ever since we moved to Norn Iron.

I used to work in Stoke as a radio presenter having moved up from Bristol. Our only son was born there and I have some great Potter friends who I'm still very much in touch with. There are 7 of us travelling down on Saturday and a pub has been booked for a pre-match meal with my Bristol mates. 

Stoke might be a bit of an eyesore especially Hanley (main shopping area) but the people are great. It also has the A50 (D road) which gets you out into amazing countryside in record quick time! 

Whilst I have a great affinity to the hyphened city, it will cease for a couple of hours from 3pm.

See you at the Gate.

• Like 5
  • Robin 5

14 hours ago, TV Tom said:

Fair play to Stoke but 91 other teams in the football pyramid don't provide free coach travel

Chelsea did, but they've stopped it this season, so they can buy some more players. Man City have done it. Hull, QPR and Brum did this last season, Hull to every away game after Christmas. 

Multiple clubs have done it for the occasional big day out, in the time SL has been here. The only time we have done it under Steve, tbf, and afair,  is when we lost 0:5 at Preston and Lee chucked Mags under a bus but you only found out about it the day after getting back from Preston.

27 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Chelsea did, but they've stopped it this season, so they can buy some more players. Man City have done it. Hull, QPR and Brum did this last season, Hull to every away game after Christmas. 

Multiple clubs have done it for the occasional big day out, in the time SL has been here. The only time we have done it under Steve, tbf, and afair,  is when we lost 0:5 at Preston and Lee chucked Mags under a bus but you only found out about it the day after getting back from Preston.

We did it away against QPR in October ‘77

• Like 1
  • Haha 1