IGNORED

If ( a big if )

redkev

5 minutes ago, redkev said:

We are around or possibly in the play off positions would Lord Steven open thee old wallet a little if needed ?

I get the feeling that he thinks he's put enough money into the football club already and doesn't intend to put any more in. Also bear in mind the HL shares he has left are only worth about a third of what they were a few years back.

Is it just my imagination or haven't we seen a lot of him or his son lately either.

8 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I get the feeling that he thinks he's put enough money into the football club already and doesn't intend to put any more in. Also bear in mind the HL shares he has left are only worth about a third of what they were a few years back.

Is it just my imagination or haven't we seen a lot of him or his son lately either.

👀👀👀🤷

I mentioned this on a thread recently...I honestly don't believe SL would spend. 

I look at Luton and Sheff Utd and see them struggle now promoted. 

I fear we would fair even worse. 

Whilst people say we are a premier team in waiting with great infrastructure, training facilities, good manager... I wouldn't trust the owner to spend or make the right decisions to stay up. 

How much do you make when getting promoted...

https://metro.co.uk/2023/05/11/championship-play-offs-2023-how-much-winners-earn-for-premier-league-promotion-18766573/

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, spudski said:

I mentioned this on a thread recently...I honestly don't believe SL would spend. 

I look at Luton and Sheff Utd and see them struggle now promoted. 

I fear we would fair even worse. 

Whilst people say we are a premier team in waiting with great infrastructure, training facilities, good manager... I wouldn't trust the owner to spend or make the right decisions to stay up. 

How much do you make when getting promoted...

https://metro.co.uk/2023/05/11/championship-play-offs-2023-how-much-winners-earn-for-premier-league-promotion-18766573/

Agree, apart from the fairing worse bit.

Both are going to really struggle & are nailed on to return.

If we did get there (not expecting that in my lifetime) realistically we’d probably do equally badly but it is unlikely we could do any worse than losing 8-0 at home like Sheff U did or relying on penalties & getting opposition players sent off, like Luton do.

10 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

norwich seem to do alright,up and down like irenes knickers

Good old Parachute Payments and PL cash. The key question  is what happens if they don't go up this year- as this is their 2nd and final season. As far as these clubs go they cut their cloth quite well but their model has not truly been tretrd yet. See also Fulham and Bournemouth who usually get up in time plus spend big.

Indeed to add, for them and Watford they currently are on the £61m 3 year loss limit plus allowables and in their 2nd and final year of Parachute Payments.

Should they stay down, that falls to £39m...and their Parachute Payments plus Championship TV cash falls to Solidarity Payments plus Championship TV cash.

By way of example Norwich, following their 2010-11 promotion.

2011-12...PL cash

2012-13...PL cash

2013-14...PL cash- Relegated

2014-15...Championship cash plus Parachute Payments- Won playoffs, instant return.

2015-16...PL cash- Relegated.

2016-17..Championship cash plus Parachute Payments.

2017-18..Championship cash plus Parachute Payments.

2018-19...Championship cash plus Solidarity Payments- Promoted! As Champions.

2019-20- PL cash- Relegated

2020-21- Championship cash plus Parachute Payments- Promoted! As Champions.

2021-22- PL cash- relegated.

2022-23- Championship cash plus Parachute Payments.

2023-24- Championship cash plus Parachute Payments- ??

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

54 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It's a valid question, capitalise when the going is good or not.

In 2007-08 we did not. At other times we have spent freely and possibly without an overarching strategy.

2017-18 also - playing well but a thin squad and awful form in january. we reacted by signing a goalless striker and an unproven winger.

25 minutes ago, jbcfc said:

2017-18 also - playing well but a thin squad and awful form in january. we reacted by signing a goalless striker and an unproven winger.

On paper at time of signing they didn't seem terrible signings.

There were FFP considerations in 2018 because they did check Projected Accounts added to the actual 2 last seasons accounts in March for all clubs and we had to stay within that £39m.

What we did spend we could have spent better.. but again hindsight to an extent as on paper a PL loanee wide player, a Ligue 1 striker and a young PL midfielder with promise looked okay.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Good old Parachute Payments and PL cash. The key question  is what happens if they don't go up this year- as this is their 2nd and final season. As far as these clubs go they cut their cloth quite well but their model has not truly been tretrd yet. See also Fulham and Bournemouth who usually get up in time plus spend big.

Indeed to add, for them and Watford they currently are on the £61m 3 year loss limit plus allowables and in their 2nd and final year of Parachute Payments.

Should they stay down, that falls to £39m...and their Parachute Payments plus Championship TV cash falls to Solidarity Payments plus Championship TV cash.

By way of example Norwich, following their 2010-11 promotion.

2011-12...PL cash

2012-13...PL cash

2013-14...PL cash- Relegated

2014-15...Championship cash plus Parachute Payments- Won playoffs, instant return.

2015-16...PL cash- Relegated.

2016-17..Championship cash plus Parachute Payments.

2017-18..Championship cash plus Parachute Payments.

2018-19...Championship cash plus Solidarity Payments- Promoted! As Champions.

2019-20- PL cash- Relegated

2020-21- Championship cash plus Parachute Payments- Promoted! As Champions.

2021-22- PL cash- relegated.

2022-23- Championship cash plus Parachute Payments.

2023-24- Championship cash plus Parachute Payments- ??

I would really like to see tWatford have to compete without parachute payments.

Their Italian owners have got away with enough of circumnavigating some of the transfer rules, IMO.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

I would really like to see tWatford have to compete without parachute payments.

Their Italian owners have got away with enough of circumnavigating some of the transfer rules, IMO.

Yes agreed. Fulham kinda irk me more in one way as they brought their way up under Al Fayed and since then have had PL or Parachute cash unbroken from 2001-02 to present. Bournemouth given  the nature of their 2015 promotion.

Those two without Parachute Payments would also be excellent or onto a year whereby the FFP margins close sharply.

Albeit Watford have also sold some to the benefit of Udinese- I would argue most notably Pererya and Deulofeu in 2020. They are also under investigation for their 2022 transaction of a sale and loan back of Kamara.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pillred said:

I was wondering with the power of hindsight and probably now realising it was a big mistake in 2008 not to push the boat out would he want to make the same mistake again? I'm not so sure he would.

I agree about 2008 and hope you are correct if we are in a strong position come January.

• Like 1

On 28/09/2023 at 23:56, phantom said:

Sadly the very vast majority don't use the search facility either

You’re suggesting that before anyone starts any topic about anything, they should do a search to see if something similar has been posted before? I don’t think most people operate that way, and as a forum moderator, I don’t think it’s appropriate for you to make passive aggressive comments towards users. You seem to do this often.

Edited by Wanderingred