IGNORED

Jason Knight

Sandhurst Red

Having allowed the frustration from Saturday to have dwindled over the past 24 hours, I feel more able to post this. Apologies for making a thread on it's own, but was surprised to not see one about him TBH. 

Despite the avoidable and annoying nature of the result we saw, there was however something to take away from this game - and actually, this could be said for at least 4 other games already this season.

Jason Knight - what an absolutely outstanding footballer.

To think he is only 22, is quite extraordinary - as he for me was the stand out performer for both teams on Saturday.

Work rate, passing ability, passing vision, tackling to break up play, positioning in transition - his performance was simply superb and he deserves all the plaudits he will receive. I'm calling it now - he will be both Young Player and Player of the Season for us, should he stay fit and not get injured.

It helps Knight that alongside him, he has the cool and calm head of Matty James, meaning he can perhaps be a bit more free in role, but not since Brownhill have I seen a player dominate a midfield like Knight does.

Edited by Sandhurst Red
  • Like 13
  • Robin 1

53 minutes ago, Sandhurst Red said:

Having allowed the frustration from Saturday to have dwindled over the past 24 hours, I feel more able to post this. Apologies for making a thread on it's own, but was surprised to not see one about him TBH. 

Despite the avoidable and annoying nature of the result we saw, there was however something to take away from this game - and actually, this could be said for at least 4 other games already this season.

Jason Knight - what an absolutely outstanding footballer.

To think he is only 22, is quite extraordinary - as he for me was the stand out performer for both teams on Saturday.

Work rate, passing ability, passing vision, tackling to break up play, positioning in transition - his performance was simply superb and he deserves all the plaudits he will receive. I'm calling it now - he will be both Young Player and Player of the Season for us, should he stay fit and not get injured.

It helps Knight that alongside him, he has the cool and calm head of Matty James, meaning he can perhaps be a bit more free in role, but not since Brownhill have I seen a player dominate a midfield like Knight does.

Agree with a lot of that, really like him.

But passing ability and vision? Not seen enough of that yet and that’s what our midfield is missing.

Id have love to have sign a midfield three of Knight, Scott and James. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Henry said:

Agree with a lot of that, really like him.

But passing ability and vision? Not seen enough of that yet and that’s what our midfield is missing.

Id have love to have sign a midfield three of Knight, Scott and James. 

His ball for Sykes goal v Plymouth was outstanding and 2nd half v Stoke - everything was going via him and Pring that turned into genuine chances. The match highlights did him a disservice, in terms of his contribution

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Sandhurst Red said:

His ball for Sykes goal v Plymouth was outstanding and 2nd half v Stoke - everything was going via him and Pring that turned into genuine chances. The match highlights did him a disservice, in terms of his contribution

I thought it was a decent assist, more so for composure, rather technical ability. Look at the defending. It’s awful and the LB had disappeared. It was a fairly easy pass to make.

Hes very valuable to us but he certainly isn’t a playmaker.

39 minutes ago, spudski said:

I was surprised to see he had by a considerable margin, the worse pass accuracy of our outfield players against Stoke. 45% accurate. 

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1732132/LiveStatistics/England-Championship-2023-2024-Bristol-City-Stoke

Genuinely shocked by that - and makes my original post look a tad daft - albeit on only one area. His overall game I felt was very good, and as ever, stats can be manipulated and presented to distort the reality of the situation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, spudski said:

I was surprised to see he had by a considerable margin, the worse pass accuracy of our outfield players against Stoke. 45% accurate. 

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1732132/LiveStatistics/England-Championship-2023-2024-Bristol-City-Stoke

It’s always the debate though. I would rather it was a lower percentage because he’s trying to play a pass/through ball that nobody else can see or is capable off rather than having a 90+ percentage just passing a ball 10 yards left or right 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

His best game for me on Saturday as was brilliant.  The balance in midfield not quite right for me as we lack creativity but Knight/James are certain starters with the other place up for grabs.

Yep. I am looking forward to the time that we have enough CBs available to allow Naismith to move back into midfield.

Knight / James / Naismith would be a very decent midfield.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, onlyotib said:

It’s always the debate though. I would rather it was a lower percentage because he’s trying to play a pass/through ball that nobody else can see or is capable off rather than having a 90+ percentage just passing a ball 10 yards left or right 

Finding a balance I guess. 

As long as the misplaced pass doesn't lead to the team being under threat or considerably out of defensive shape. 

Fine margins with decision making on passing. 

This is why you see so many passes going short or across the defensive line...so as not to lose possession and automatically put yourself under pressure. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Got a lot of Josh Brownhill about him, which is a very good thing.

Ah Brownhill, we were never going to miss him were we......

Completely agree @GrahamC, he does seem a very well rounded and influential player, and one that will become integral to the way that we play.

The Brownhill comparison is a good one actually, because he just made the midfield tick over. It amazes me  that even to this day, there are so many that didn't, and still don't rate him. Think people have the opinion that because he didn't pop in with goals every few games that he "went missing", when in actual fact it couldn't be further from the truth.

If Knight turns out to be 80% of the player that Brownhill was, then we have a hell of a player on our hands.

• Like 6

I'm very much in the agreement camp on Knight being a talent and that makes me feel like our best midfield has to be Knight, James and Naismith. Naismith offers that technical passing ability when coming forward as well as the confidence to carry the ball forward where many of our other players just play it long. James offers that calm cool head and the ability to read the game and do all the parts that are seriously over looked and then Knight, well, as the thread says, a quality player. 

So I have a question, would anyone change that midfield 3? Naismith coming out would allow us someone who is better suited to the pace we play at but would come at the expense of that ability to go direct from a deep position and I can't think of another player in the midfield who offers that. I don't think James or Knight can be dropped based on the season so far as they've both given 100% and look driven. It's an interesting discussion imo. 

1 hour ago, Taz said:

Ah Brownhill, we were never going to miss him were we......

Completely agree @GrahamC, he does seem a very well rounded and influential player, and one that will become integral to the way that we play.

The Brownhill comparison is a good one actually, because he just made the midfield tick over. It amazes me  that even to this day, there are so many that didn't, and still don't rate him. Think people have the opinion that because he didn't pop in with goals every few games that he "went missing", when in actual fact it couldn't be further from the truth.

If Knight turns out to be 80% of the player that Brownhill was, then we have a hell of a player on our hands.

Exactly this. Spot on. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sandhurst Red said:

Very much what I was getting at on the matchday thread when I said some very good individual performers didn't deserve to be on the losing side. 

Knight seems to have the ability to rob anyone lingering on the ball.   Did it v Plymouth and - particularly in the first 15 minutes - did it v Stoke.  Made a number of players look silly. 

2 hours ago, Sandhurst Red said:

Genuinely shocked by that - and makes my original post look a tad daft - albeit on only one area. His overall game I felt was very good, and as ever, stats can be manipulated and presented to distort the reality of the situation. 

The stats can be misleading ,as @Derek says, it depends what type of pass.
Early in his Man City Career  I read that Kevin De Bruyne had quite low pass completion rates. Shocked me then as he's clearly a hell of a player. The article went on to explain that, how he played always trying to set forwards up , meant he was trying many more expansive and difficult passes. Obviously that means a lower completion rate. 

2 hours ago, Derek said:

You need to analyse the types of passes being made.

Anyone can pass the ball 5 yards sideways. 

Yes, but the 5-yard sideways pass is often (if not usually) the right pass.  The player who plays the 5-yarder rather than going for the killer pass is likely to be doing the right thing.  Good football is based on the 5-yard pass.

Yes, but the 5-yard sideways pass is often (if not usually) the right pass.  The player who plays the 5-yarder rather than going for the killer pass is likely to be doing the right thing.  Good football is based on the 5-yard pass.

Are you Lee Johnson?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Derek said:

Yes, but the 5-yard sideways pass is often (if not usually) the right pass.  The player who plays the 5-yarder rather than going for the killer pass is likely to be doing the right thing.  Good football is based on the 5-yard pass.

Are you Lee Johnson?

It's pass, move, work way through the pitch. Not at all times but it does underpin a certain amount of high level football.

What we had under Lee Johnson was not really that.

8 hours ago, Lew-T said:

I really like him. 

Fantastic player for us and suits our game perfectly. So good in the air too considering his size!

Like him too but our midfield failed to win enough 50 50s after their goal. Not sure we won much in the air either throughout the whole team. 
When we get the ball down and play we look good but did we earn that right enough? Perhaps that’s where Knight needs another calm head ball winner alongside him rather than a somewhat frantic Williams.

12 hours ago, spudski said:

This is where stats are very misleading,a sideways or pass backwards are considered completed and don’t get me started on expected goals