IGNORED

FIFA considering bringing Russia back into football

Just now, 2015 said:

They'll probably have to play in Asia if they return as I doubt many in UEFA would be willing to play them.

Belarus would, probably Serbia & Hungary too, I wouldn’t put my house on the likes of Azerbaijan, Georgia or several others in that part of Europe saying no. Slovakia’s election result this week (a big concern for very many on here, I bet) makes them more likely to do so.

This could get really messy, several countries like Sweden & the 3 Baltic states have already said they would refuse & would withdraw rather play them.

Just extend the ban until the war is resolved.

• Like 3

This is an interesting and thought provoking thread. 
At first it seems obvious; what Russia is up to in Ukraine is abominable and the world should ban them from everything. 
However, sport is supposed to be non-political. Their players are playing football not attacking Ukrainian villages. 
I kind of agree with what UEFA are doing in this case - allowing the athletes to compete but not under the flag of an aggressive regime. 
Genuinely undecided on this but my initial thoughts are above.

Absolutely open to challenges. 

8 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

At first it seems obvious; what Russia is up to in Ukraine is abominable and the world should ban them from everything. 
However, sport is supposed to be non-political. Their players are playing football not attacking Ukrainian villages. 
I kind of agree with what UEFA are doing in this case - allowing the athletes to compete but not under the flag of an aggressive regime. 

It's supposed to be a punishment, despite playing under a neutral flag do you really think someone like Putrid won't use it as propaganda and say to the ordinary people of Russia look the world has forgiven us? at least at the moment, there is some kind of sanction for the abominable things they have done to a poor innocent country, what does this tell the people of Ukraine? 

• Like 5

Mixed views on this.

Other sports have already done similar and allowed Russian athletes to return.

I’d hope there would be no punishment for any team refusing to play them / refusing to travel to Russia.

Theres a part of me that thinks other countries have done things and not received such sanctions but that’s not for here.

Ultimately though if you’ve taken the decision to ban them because of the war then I don’t see the justification for going back on that while the war shows no signs of ending. What was the point?

On 04/10/2023 at 16:30, GrahamC said:

Belarus would, probably Serbia & Hungary too, I wouldn’t put my house on the likes of Azerbaijan, Georgia or several others in that part of Europe saying no. Slovakia’s election result this week (a big concern for very many on here, I bet) makes them more likely to do so.

This could get really messy, several countries like Sweden & the 3 Baltic states have already said they would refuse & would withdraw rather play them.

Just extend the ban until the war is resolved.

Georgia? Maybe do a bit more research before commenting. 

On 04/10/2023 at 17:08, bcfcredandwhite said:

I think lots of people would agree in principle that politics and sports should be separate and that the players and coaches don't deserve to be punished.

In practice it's a lot more messy.

It's important for the international community to make a clear message that military invasions will be punished with a comprehensive exclusion from the benefits of that community.

If you make exceptions the response isn't comprehensive and deterrent (this now setting the precedent).

So, I think it's fine to feel conflicted, but I see a justification here for many institutions to prejudice Russian participants, especially whereby they are given a platform to celebrate their nationalism, and potentially the war.

• Like 3

On 04/10/2023 at 18:18, Sir Geoff said:

I would hope we (England) refuse to play them. I also would hope that they don't receive a rouble from sponsorship or prize money. So we seem to have gone from Saudi sports washing to Russian war washing. Not for me.

Or me!

• Like 3

No from me too. OK so they play under a neutral flag as a non Russian team. Where do you think they would go to celebrate if they won a competition? They would be greeted as heroes by Putin and his administration.  The rest of the world would look like arseholes. End the war and then, and only then, let's talk about it

• Like 1