IGNORED

10 Game Assessment

mozo

What do we make of our season after 10 games? Good start? Bad? Average?

1.5 ppg isn't too bad, and it's amazing that we're only 1 point off playoffs.

I think it's fair to say we haven't looked like a top 6 side so far, but that doesn't mean to say we can't raise our game...?

Edited by mozo

More good than bad, but the bad has been BAD (Birmingham (H), Stoke (H), tonight pre TC). Defense has been tighter than in previous years (even on Saturday we only faced 4 shots on target, we just let most of them in). Attack growing into the season nicely. New players bedding in well.

Injuries and refs continue to hurt us, but that’s football… we do go get it bad though. 

Overall - B.

• Like 1

Most well drilled team we have had for a while IMO . Knight settling in well in midfield and we have cover in key positions we didn’t have last year (king playing centre back for example)

Just don’t look good enough in the final third for me. That will be the difference.

Good start to season for me 👍

• Like 2

All in all, not too bad a start. Blighted yet again by major injuries. 
An expensive signing McCrorie out ‘injured’ until new year with some nasty bug. Never seen him play, a £2.0m signing. Who knows what difference he will make.

Tommy out and missed, again huge benefit his return. Atkinson to return soon, as well as Zak….  All of a sudden with a change Lady Luck and injuries NP will have a match day squad headache who to leave out ? Nice to pick up something at Leeds.  After Saturday played 11..quarter of season as good as…

• Confused 1

45 minutes ago, watkins1983 said:

Most well drilled team we have had for a while IMO . Knight settling in well in midfield and we have cover in key positions we didn’t have last year (king playing centre back for example)

Just don’t look good enough in the final third for me. That will be the difference.

Good start to season for me 👍

True midfield also not feeding the strikers enough passing tonight was abysmal.

19 minutes ago, The Masked Man said:

If we hadn't dropped points to Stoke and Preston when winning we'd be in third place. We weren't one of the big spenders in the Summer so I think overall the team has been doing well. 

Spot on! Tbh, any complaining must see the progression at least.

Solid if inconsistent.

Solid enough for a signing or two in January at the minimum.

We can't hope that the squad won't pick up more injuries, so hopefully this start will be enough to loosen the purse strings.

Top ten finish would be fantastic after all the injuries and the late Scott transfer.

Plus another 2 years for NP.

• Like 2

Tonight was a test of character and we came through it, just. The mood change is tangible - now it feels like Stoke was a blip and 15 points really should've been 18. Had we lost tonight as we easily could've done, that's three defeats on the spin and a real bottom-half feel to things.

Agree above on the defence looking solid but the attack needing a bit more. Perfect time for Conway to return.

Get anything at Leeds on Saturday and we can be optimistic. It should be a bit of a free hit with the squad they've got, I think at the end of the next six up to QPR on November 11 we'll have a real idea of how this season is going to pan out.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

All in all, not too bad a start. Blighted yet again by major injuries. 
An expensive signing McCrorie out ‘injured’ until new year with some nasty bug. Never seen him play, a £2.0m signing. Who knows what difference he will make.

Tommy out and missed, again huge benefit his return. Atkinson to return soon, as well as Zak….  All of a sudden with a change Lady Luck and injuries NP will have a match day squad headache who to leave out ? Nice to pick up something at Leeds.  After Saturday played 11..quarter of season as good as…

Pretty sure it was Nice Brest, guess you don't have social media 

10 minutes ago, Ron W said:

Tonight was a test of character and we came through it, just. The mood change is tangible - now it feels like Stoke was a blip and 15 points really should've been 18. Had we lost tonight as we easily could've done, that's three defeats on the spin and a real bottom-half feel to things.

Agree above on the defence looking solid but the attack needing a bit more. Perfect time for Conway to return.

Get anything at Leeds on Saturday and we can be optimistic. It should be a bit of a free hit with the squad they've got, I think at the end of the next six up to QPR on November 11 we'll have a real idea of how this season is going to pan out.

I think tonight showed how 2 defeats on the trot can have an effect.  A battling defeat at Leicester, followed by a good performance and a sucker punch at home to Stoke, can dent morale.  And then you have to go to Rotherham, although lacking in quality, you know are gonna pump balls back to front and work their nuts off for the bits and pieces.  It was a tougher test than had we win on Saturday, because a poor result tonight and a tough game at Leeds coming up builds pressure.

We didn’t play well, we got dragged down first half, but we’re better second half, just very wasteful with our final ball.  We controlled possession a bit more and moved the Millers around the pitch, creating space for diags.

We will have much more confidence on Saturday now as a result of tonight.

• Like 3

I’ve felt much more entertained watching City than I have in recent seasons, and to me that’s just as important as our improved results.

I honestly think we’ve been great to watch in our games against Millwall, Hull, Swansea, WBA, Plymouth and Stoke (the latter absolutely robbed us). I’ve enjoyed watching Sykes and Knight in particular.

If the rest of the season continues in this manner, and we finish 11th then I’d be satisfied. I’m a bit more concerned about our long term prospects, with the vultures likely to be circling again next summer, and little sign that we are able to spend. Hopefully Tins and the academy can keep churning out bright young players.

• Like 1
  • Robin 2

Am reasonably happy.

A few less injuries would be a real help, both for the 1st XI and competition, depth- that can help to improve the overall picture.

A fully fit Conway for a long period, I think he can and will go up a level provided he remains fit for prolonged periods.

1.5 ppg is solid. The playing style generally quite enjoyable too.

Oh please, please, please back NP sensibly in the market, offer him a 3 year deal and offer him most of the power over the squad and transfer activity.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, mozo said:

I think it's fair to say we haven't looked like a top 6 side so far, but that doesn't mean to say we can't raise our game...?

I don't think it is fair to say that. 

I think we should be at least 5 points better off as we should have beat Hull and Stoke. 

That would have seen us with a points per game of 2 which is usually promotion form. 

I think the points we have got so far have been earned, only just tonight tho. 

• Hmmm 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

1.5 ppg is solid. The playing style generally quite enjoyable too.

This is the bit that excites me. We have achieved a 1.5 ppg without Conway who can be a 20 goal a season striker and without the likes of McCrorie and Atkinson. 

If Conway alone can help improve the ppg even just a little then we'll be in for a good season.

• Like 3

We're about where we should be. We've lost games we could have won, we've won or drawn games that we might've lost.

The numbers are ok but not spectacular. We're taking more shots than in previous years, but fewer are on target and the xG per shot has dropped from 0.13 after 10 games last season to just 0.1 this season. I said we're taking more shots but not quite enough to compensate, and so total xG for the first 10 games has dropped from 14.7 last season to 12.3 this season. So the attack is looking weaker and less potent than at this stage last term.

However, defence is tighter. We've allowed fewer shots, and fewer on target, and they've been lower quality. All very good.

The numbers are therefore good. Right now it's looking like we'll score roughly the same number of goals than last season (maybe a couple fewer), but we should probably concede fewer. That should mean we finish with better GD and a better points total.

We're not looking top 6 quality - the only way in which we are is in goals conceded - but any prediction of finishing 7th-12th is looking very fair.

It is looking like another season of improvement, but we're not going up this time imo.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Ron W said:

Nigel has the happy knack of winning when it matters most. 

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

7 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Pretty solid for the most part.

Stoke is the only really annoying result so out of kilter with the game. At least Birmingham deserved to win.

I think on balance we could have had a few more points.

Our defence is stronger this season 8/10 , as an attacking unit could be better 6/10

Think this is a fair assessment . 

We will finish higher this season I think - but only by a few places. I still don’t think we are good enough to mount a playoff push 

• Like 2

I think where we are right now is probably where we’ll end up.

Defensively we are much better this season but I feel we have missed Vyner recently, especially against Stoke. 

Going forward we can be outstanding at times but can also be so frustrating. Tommy Conway could end up being a catalyst but I worry about our lack of creativity. Obviously, Scott is irreplaceable but I really worry about the midfield three at the moment. 

All in all, I am the most enthusiastic about watching City since the 2017/18 season. Onwards and upwards! 

We just need to be in touch with the playoffs at this point for me, which we are.  We easily could/should be on more points as well which although annoying is positive.  It's all about the second half of the season which is where historically we seem to fall away.  If we are within 6 points of the playoffs in Jan then it's all to play for.  I think there are so many teams who are similar to us who have a chance, so hopefully the 3 years of Nige gives us a bit more?  Time will tell

• Like 1

6 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think we should be at least 5 points better off as we should have beat Hull and Stoke. 

That would have seen us with a points per game of 2 which is usually promotion form. 

I stand corrected!

I even very much doubt that Nige would claim that we've shown the quality of a top 6 side, but maybe you've seen something that I haven't?

6 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

On the other hand , I think we got three extra points against Preston (1) and Rotherham (2) than they might think we deserved. We've left some points behind but not five.

Edited by cidercity1987
  • Like 2