IGNORED

Those who have sadly just died and in the public eye - 2023

Norn Iron

Just found out that at the end of September founder member of the brilliant U S band The Association, Terry kirkwood passed away aged 83. A multi-instrumentalist and song writer , he composed their mega hit Cherish.     I loved them back in the day, yeah they weren't that cool but their close harmony work was every bit a good as the Beach Boys . RIP Terry .

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Super said:

Tributes have flooded in for the The Windsors and Drop the Dead Donkey actress Haydn Gwynne, who has died aged 66.

Shocked. She was meant to be in a Sondheim concert at the moment, only pulled out a few weeks ago. Awfully sad.

14 minutes ago, downendcity said:

For cricket fans of my generation, Bishen Bedi has died aged 77.

Part of a fantastic Indian spin attack in the 60s.

No! One of my early heroes as a youngster I wanted to spin the ball like him or Derek Deadly Underwood. I was a leftie as well!

Edited by Norn Iron
Two posts merged. Wanted separate

6 hours ago, downendcity said:

For cricket fans of my generation, Bishen Bedi has died aged 77.

Part of a fantastic Indian spin attack in the 60s.

Some of my earliest memories of international cricket are the West Indies superb fast bowlers - too numerous to mention - plus Lance Gibbs, whilst India had their great spinners, Bishen Bedi,Chandrasekhar (I can't remember his first name) and Venkat.

I used to be glued to the BBC for days, whereas today I find it hard to even watch the current World Cup, let alone The 100. 

53 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Some of my earliest memories of international cricket are the West Indies superb fast bowlers - too numerous to mention - plus Lance Gibbs, whilst India had their great spinners, Bishen Bedi,Chandrasekhar (I can't remember his first name) and Venkat.

I used to be glued to the BBC for days, whereas today I find it hard to even watch the current World Cup, let alone The 100. 

Was Chandrasekhar the bowler who had a withered arm as a result of childhood polio?

38 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Was Chandrasekhar the bowler who had a withered arm as a result of childhood polio?

That's him.

Quite amazing that he became such a great bowler, despite his arm injury.

Mind you, Fred Titmus carried on playing Test Cricket after he lost some his toes following a boating accident in Barbados, and Colin Milburn (one of my favourites) persevered for a while after losing an eye, much like the Nawab of Pataudi.  

30 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

That's him.

Quite amazing that he became such a great bowler, despite his arm injury.

Mind you, Fred Titmus carried on playing Test Cricket after he lost some his toes following a boating accident in Barbados, and Colin Milburn (one of my favourites) persevered for a while after losing an eye, much like the Nawab of Pataudi.  

He did, but not for too long though, he found he couldn't do himself justice.

Was Gordon Banks still playing when he lost an eye ?

• Like 1

Just now, slartibartfast said:

He did, but not for too long though, he found he couldn't do himself justice.

Was Gordon Banks still playing when he lost an eye ?

Yes he did, but it didn't take long for him to be found out. I don't think you can judge distance very well with one eye.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

The worse thing to happen to test cricket was for it to go to sky .

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Super said:

Massive Attack guitarist Angelo Bruschini has died, his bandmates have confirmed

The Blue Aeroplanes is the band he's most associated with.

I met him a few times in the 80s in the St Werbergh's house party scene.  You'd always have several "Aeroplanes" and other Bristol musicians hanging out at every gathering.

Nice bloke - and an awesome guitarist.

• Like 1