IGNORED

Those who have sadly just died and in the public eye - 2023

Norn Iron

4 hours ago, Super said:

I was a massive fan of friends. Very sad news RIP Matthew.

Very sad, but if this drowning was caused by a cardiac arrest, it shows the long-term damage done by Class A's, even when they're knocked on the head.

I recently lost an old friend whose heart suddenly stopped. He was 57 and had been sober for some time, but in the past was an excessive user of the old Columbian marching powder. 

• Like 3

On 24/10/2023 at 09:58, Red-Robbo said:

The Blue Aeroplanes is the band he's most associated with.

I met him a few times in the 80s in the St Werbergh's house party scene.  You'd always have several "Aeroplanes" and other Bristol musicians hanging out at every gathering.

Nice bloke - and an awesome guitarist.

Only just read this in the Obits in Mojo magazine. Very sad and quite a shock as I had no idea he was ill.

Saw him live with Blue Aeroplanes and Massive Attack many times and he performed at the 5th birthday party for the little record label me and my mates ran.

He's all over 'Swagger' and 'Beatsongs' for the Blue Aeroplanes and 'Mezzanine' for Massive Attack, 3 genuinely brilliant albums.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fgrsimon said:

Only just read this in the Obits in Mojo magazine. Very sad and quite a shock as I had no idea he was ill.

Saw him live with Blue Aeroplanes and Massive Attack many times and he performed at the 5th birthday party for the little record label me and my mates ran.

He's all over 'Swagger' and 'Beatsongs' for the Blue Aeroplanes and 'Mezzanine' for Massive Attack, 3 genuinely brilliant albums.

Last time I saw Angelo, he was performing on stage with the Aeroplanes at the Exchange for their Christmas bash last year. He was in great form and looked in great shape.

It was Gerard I was concerned about. He's been unwell for some time and can only perform a few times each year. Had to have emergency surgery in April.

The Blue Aeroplanes never achieved genuine mass appeal, but for me are one of the most talented and unique bands Bristol has ever produced - and I go back to when they were called the Art Objects!  Some of their songs rank with my all-time favourites. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Super said:

The Pogues singer Shane MacDowan has died at the age of 65, it has been reported. The singer had recently been in intensive care after an encephalitis diagnosis last December.

Such sad news. One of the original punks and a true innovator.

The Pogues show at the Studio, Frogmore Street in 1985 was joyous and unforgettable.

Fairytale of New York to be Christmas number 1.

Rest in peace.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

Such sad news. One of the original punks and a true innovator.

The Pogues show at the Studio, Frogmore Street in 1985 was joyous and unforgettable.

Fairytale of New York to be Christmas number 1.

Rest in peace.

Although not totally unexpected I`m in bits over this news - I thought he would live forever. The quotes from his wife Victoria show how much she loved him too.

That gig at The Studio was one of the best I`ve ever been at - it felt like the whole building was shaking during Sally MacLennane. I feel blessed to have seen the band live about a dozen times during their greatest years.

RIP Shane, you will be sorely missed.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Unsurprisingly, I’ve decided to stick the Pogues on. Such a great songwriter.

He was. And when he co-wrote with Phil Chevron, another who was taken far too soon, they produced one of my favourite songs of all time - Thousands Are Sailing.

Red Roses For Me, Rum, Sodomy And The Lash and If I Should Fall From Grace With God are three of my favourite albums of all time - there isn`t a bad track on any of them.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Super said:

The Pogues singer Shane MacDowan has died at the age of 65, it has been reported. The singer had recently been in intensive care after an encephalitis diagnosis last December.

Very sad to hear this. He was such a good songwriter and I thought his singing voice was amazing. 

• Like 1