IGNORED

Those who have sadly just died and in the public eye - 2023

Norn Iron

18 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

RIP Shane, one of the great poets of British and Irish music. I always assumed that this song was autobiographical, and if it was it must have been like therapy for him writing this.

I`ve never heard it suggested it was autobiographical but it wouldn`t surprise me if it was based perhaps on someone he knew.

Just my opinion but I don`t think you could write a heartfelt song like that if you weren`t at least close to someone involved.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

He was. And when he co-wrote with Phil Chevron, another who was taken far too soon, they produced one of my favourite songs of all time - Thousands Are Sailing.

Red Roses For Me, Rum, Sodomy And The Lash and If I Should Fall From Grace With God are three of my favourite albums of all time - there isn`t a bad track on any of them.

Probably not even in their top ten, but I always used to love this.

• Like 1

Would recommend the book ‘Here Comes Everybody’ by James Fearnley, the Pogues’ accordionist. Amazing insight to Shane as a person and the band, from the formation of the Nips (Fearnley was the guitarist) right up until the moment Shane was told he’d been kicked out of the Pogues in a hotel room in Japan. 

• Like 3

On 01/12/2023 at 06:57, Port Said Red said:

I always liked the little dig at Elvis Costello and Cait O'Riordan and their somewhat tempestuous relationship 

Love Fiesta and love Shane's voice,but I would love to get the instrumental version of this. Have never been able to find it.It was used on a kids TV programme years ago.Gilbert's Fridge if I recall correctly. 

On 01/12/2023 at 20:11, Lanterne Rouge said:

Brigit Forsyth: Still Open All Hours actress dies aged 83 - BBC News

I always think of her as Thelma from Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads.

I loved watching WHTTLL as a kid. The "geordie" accents were a bit out of whack, though. Even James Bolam came from Sunderland!

• Like 2

• Admin
On 30/11/2023 at 12:10, City Rocker said:

Such sad news. One of the original punks and a true innovator.

The Pogues show at the Studio, Frogmore Street in 1985 was joyous and unforgettable.

Fairytale of New York to be Christmas number 1.

Rest in peace.

Not sure who was drunker that night, Shane or me, but what a gig.  
There are a few FB Pogues and Shane groups and there are some fantastic stories being told on them, people sharing their memories.  What a life, what a talent, sadly missed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Marvin said:

Benjamin Zephaniah: Writer and poet dies aged 65

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-67646607

Such a shame this. He was such an interesting man who led an `interesting` life in his younger days for sure!

If you can, seek out the Radio 4 Extra series of him reading his autobiography - it should be on BBC Sounds somewhere and is well worth a listen.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Enclosure Old Timer said:

Just watching Shane's funeral on Sky news, Nick Cave's heart rending version of Rainy Night in Soho and various surviving Pogues and Dubliners turning the service into a party with a glorious uncensored Fairy Tale of New York really did bring a tear to the eye.

I watched a live feed of it, some real moving moments, the eulogy from his sister especially.

One of the memorable lines for me was the priest, who after the pogues performed said “I think I’ve died and gone to heaven”.

• Like 1