IGNORED

Pearson Post Match

petehinton

Just now, Red Army 75 said:

NP has cleared the deadwood, cut the the wage budget, hasn’t had a fortune to spend, built a culture across the football club and is giving us our own identity. The players will run through brick walls for him. We are sat 8th in the championship. And SL won’t offer him a new contract. So frustrating and it’s pissing me off. 

Bet SL will roll at the red carpet for that *** Ashton Wednesday night.

We need to get vocal 

Be too late, I fear.

11 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

My neighbour (a Millwall fan) had this to say when his departure was announced, ‘The chairman’s not saying much, but the feelings are that we can take the inconsistencies, we could take the boring football but could not face being below Bristol city in the league’ 

So, your neighbour...........bit of a t w a t , is he ?

Trying to be totally middle ground.

Pearson after his illness a while back said something about not knowing how long he would go on. Now that may have changed, but it may have been a thought in Lansdown's mind, who knows. 

Personally I think it would be madness to get this far, with the backroom, coaching, recruitment and medical looking as good as it's been for years, just to tear it up and start from scratch. A new man would want to spend more and get his own men in and it could mean a big upheaval again.

The talk of yes men, while I can see where it comes from and I don't disagree, isn't really a thing. Pearson has done his job while going along with everything Stevie has wanted. He may not bend over , curtsey or tug his forelock , but he's towed the company line. 

I would love the team to go on a little run to see what SL does. A good season would make it very difficult for Lansdown.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Trying to be totally middle ground.

Pearson after his illness a while back said something about not knowing how long he would go on. Now that may have changed, but it may have been a thought in Lansdown's mind, who knows. 

Personally I think it would be madness to get this far, with the backroom, coaching, recruitment and medical looking as good as it's been for years, just to tear it up and start from scratch. A new man would want to spend more and get his own men in and it could mean a big upheaval again.

The talk of yes men, while I can see where it comes from and I don't disagree, isn't really a thing. Pearson has done his job while going along with everything Stevie has wanted. He may not bend over , curtsey or tug his forelock , but he's towed the company line. 

I would love the team to go on a little run to see what SL does. A good season would make it very difficult for Lansdown.

You almost had me until 'Stevie'. 😶

1 hour ago, Cov 77 said:

Suggested to me earlier that even as a one off that the Han Noah Massengo song could be adapted to Big Nigel Pearson, not as mad as it sounds when you try it ( not sure how massive his hair is though) 

Whatever anything that gives the message over is positive 

How about the Albert / Heartbeat song.

Nigel, oh Nigel Pearson...Give him, a 3 year deal.

Followed by **** off Mark Ashton (and repeat)

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

56 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Bit harsh.

Mark clearly cares, but his priorities are likely different to us, and if he is also under pressure to reduce costs, increase profitability and all that, it probably takes its toll after a while. 

Maybe replying to Fevs wasn't the best idea, but it was late, and given how widely it has been shared, not much value in deleting it or justifying it now.

Having a stressful job doesn’t mean you can start dishing out shitty tweets. It’s hardly like @Davefevs @ Mark Kelly.

Mark Kelly jobs is now more about working directly for the Lansdown than the club. Again, **** him.

• Flames 2

12 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

In amongst all the ludicrousness of our current situation, at least we now know the definitive answer to the question as to why we are the biggest club that has never made the Prem.

Because we are appallingly run by an owner who is unable to deal with any sort of constructive challenge in the workplace & who incredibly has been chairman or owner for over 20 years now & yet as you say, still knows absolutely nothing about football.

Then of course there is our current chairman who possesses the charisma of a library ticket, is unable to speak in public using joined up sentences & is about as visible as Lord Lucan.

Never has so much been spent (pre Nige, of course) to achieve so very little.

I agree 100% with you. I bet Harry Dolman would have offered to continue his contract and found some transfer cash for a couple to give us a more realistic chance of going up. 

But Lansdown knows **** all about football and while spending on the stadium and Training ground, outgoings that are recoverable, doesn't have a clue how to get promotion to the Prem.

Just look at how much he squandered on LJ and the unmentionable previous CEO, now at Ipswich, to realise I am correct in my comments.

44 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

No need to be facetious when were talking within the context oh his contract expiring in the summer.

Football isn't excempt from employment law. 

They have no right to even ask about Nigels health because it has nothing to do with the job. 

A new contract would essentially be a offer of a job. To not offer him a new job purely based on his health, is illegal. In the same way as you can't refuse to hire someone because they are pregnant for example. 

However as I said, proving that discrimination would be difficult. 

I feel very uncomfortable that people such as yourself consider it to be a consideration.

Nigel has made it very clear he can continue to do the job with some reasonable adjustments so not a problem. A manager could be a wheelchair user and rightfully that should not be a consideration of their role because its irrelevant. The employer has a duty to make reasonable adjustments. 

It’s very different to regular jobs. 
Nige is a public persona. His health is already in the public arena. Heck, he’s even spoken about it himself. So it’s not like we’re out of order for discussing it. 
It’s a matter of public fact in a public facing industry. 

As for his contract, if the club decide not to renew his contract on the grounds of health, there is nothing wrong with that at all. Again, this is a very different industry to normal employment. 
The club don’t have to give any reason at all if they don’t want to. They can just say “we’ve decided to move on from Nigel” and don’t have to mention a single thing about the reasons why. 
It’s a specific length of contract that has been signed and both parties can walk away from it at the expiry by whatever reasons they deem necessary. 

Whilst Nigel isn’t as ‘hands on’ in his coaching any more, it’s still a necessity and a material and substantial duty of his role to be able to attend training sessions. Whether in a coaching capacity or in a viewing/analytical capacity, but it is a material and substantial part of the role of a football manager. 
If he’s not been able to attend training for the last 5 weeks then he’s not being able to perform the main function of which he is employed. 

That’s no secret. It’s public knowledge. And if the club use this as a reason to not renew his contract next July then there is nothing discriminatory about that whatsoever. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, zider'ed said:

How about the Albert / Heartbeat song.

Nigel, oh Nigel Pearson...Give him, a 3 year deal.

Followed by **** off Mark Ashton (and repeat)

That could work!

I’d slightly change it to:

“Nigel, oh Nigel Person, give him a brand new deal”

“**** off Mark Ashton, **** off Mark Ashton” 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Without Pearson, we'd be in league one and in a huge amount of financial trouble, probably having breached ffp. 

As it is we are just outside the play offs and Nigel has set us up for future success. 

Thats why Nige is held in such high regard. 

Not sure if you've done this deliberately, but you've removed a section of my post and presented it without context to suggest that I was making a point which I very clearly wasn't. My post was clearly positive about the the job Pearson has done.

It's rather misleading to shorten this comment:

37 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

I think Pearson has done a good job, but supporters of other clubs may be rather confused looking at the desperation of our fans to keep a manager who has ultimately taken us from midtable to midtable in 3 years.

However, for me, it's as much about avoiding a Lansdown managerial appointment as it is about keeping Pearson. After years of Holdens, Millens, and Johnsons, the Lansdowns have somehow stumbled upon an experienced football manager who knows what he's doing (despite the fact they seem to thoroughly dislike him). I don't trust us to make a better appointment should Pearson leave.

To this:

37 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

who has ultimately taken us from midtable to midtable in 3 years.

Edited by Supersonic Robin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Amazing that despite this we won yesterday against a side that made the playoff final last season, then.

What a complete clown you are, as usual absolutely no idea what you’re talking about.

This Graham is the man who in the week suggested as a fill in option at centre half......

........  Harry Cornick !

Still, he’s got Nigels measure , 

Maybe Nige can tap into his ideas and criticisms 👍🏻

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Gabriella said:

For what it’s worth I can understand the club not offering him a new deal. He wanted 3 years and that is what he was given, has he justified an extra 1/2 years…? Probably, but it’s up for debate, the deal on Scott hasn’t helped either….lots of “rated” managers out there and available at the moment. 

Out of interest, name them (the “lots” of them). And why they are “rated” over Pearson or how they would improve us. Genuine question. 

9 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Not sure if you've done this deliberately, but you've removed a section of my post and presented it without context to suggest that I was making a point which I very clearly wasn't. My post was clearly positive about the the job Pearson has done.

It's rather misleading to shorten this comment:

To this:

Apologies if it came across as misleading. 

I was attempting to respond to your comment about other fans may be confused. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Harry said:

Nige is a public persona. His health is already in the public arena. Heck, he’s even spoken about it himself. So it’s not like we’re out of order for discussing it. 

As for his contract, if the club decide not to renew his contract on the grounds of health, there is nothing wrong with that at all. Again, this is a very different industry to normal employment. 
The club don’t have to give any reason at all if they don’t want to. They can just say “we’ve decided to move on from Nigel” and don’t have to mention a single thing about the reasons why. 
It’s a specific length of contract that has been signed and both parties can walk away from it at the expiry by whatever reasons they deem necessary. 

Whilst Nigel isn’t as ‘hands on’ in his coaching any more, it’s still a necessity and a material and substantial duty of his role to be able to attend training sessions. Whether in a coaching capacity or in a viewing/analytical capacity, but it is a material and substantial part of the role of a football manager. 
If he’s not been able to attend training for the last 5 weeks then he’s not being able to perform the main function of which he is employed. 

That’s no secret. It’s public knowledge. And if the club use this as a reason to not renew his contract next July then there is nothing discriminatory about that whatsoever. 

I'm beginning to wonder if it's possible that Nige has now had enough of the situation with SL & has now come out with his views on the situation to say "I'm available" to clubs that are in need of new management. I really do hope that isn't the case but there will be many clubs that will be watching this outcome.

In my humble opinion we have the one of the best City manager i have known in my 67 years of supporting City. Reading what has been writen on this forum on this subject i would say well over 80 % of the fans want him to stay.

So i was thinking the same as Wokingham Red on Wednesday when the match starts lets all sing as load as we can, for as long as we can "Theres only one Nigel Peason". Then as long as we are not losing, lets keep it going.

I agree Nigel health is a worry, but as long as he as he feels he can contribute to the club we must keep him.

The other thought that has come into my head is with the sudden removel of the COE and now this. Could it be that a take over is gathering pace, and the new owners are putting things in place for when they break the news.

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

23 minutes ago, Harry said:

Harry

Sorry, do I understand you right ...that you are stating NP hasn’t attended training for five weeks ?

44 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

NP has cleared the deadwood, cut the the wage budget, hasn’t had a fortune to spend, built a culture across the football club and is giving us our own identity. The players will run through brick walls for him. We are sat 8th in the championship. And SL won’t offer him a new contract. So frustrating and it’s pissing me off. 

We need to get vocal 

The players and other staff are obviously aware of what's going on. 

My understanding is the entire squad have a huge amount of respect for Nige and are very fond of him. 

Whilst all this is unnecessary and unwanted, it does have the ability to create a seige mentality between the squad and the fans which can help to get some good results.

45 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

We need to get vocal 

The current squad clearly play for Nige, and he's set proper standards for them. One thing that intrigues me is do the players like him? It doesn't necessarily matter so long as they respect him, but I'm interested. 

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

The players and other staff are obviously aware of what's going on. 

My understanding is the entire squad have a huge amount of respect for Nige and are very fond of him. 

Whilst all this is unnecessary and unwanted, it does have the ability to create a seige mentality between the squad and the fans which can help to get some good results.

You've just answered my above question, thanks!

If the Lanstowns really wanted Pearson gone after the Boxing Day against WBA match last season was a great opportunity to do so as a large amount of the fan base was starting to lose confidence in Pearson but they stuck with him.

maybe they just want to see how a bit more of the season pans out first say see where we are at Christmas before they look to offer him a bigger deal. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

Bit harsh.

Mark clearly cares, but his priorities are likely different to us, and if he is also under pressure to reduce costs, increase profitability and all that, it probably takes its toll after a while. 

Premier League Football would make us more profitable (even if just for the parachute payment when we come back down).