IGNORED

Pearson Post Match

petehinton

Interesting views being expressed on Nige’s tenure with references to ‘brilliant’, ‘outstanding’, amongst others. 

For me, as one of his more consistent supporters (with a little wobble last Dec/Jan), he’s done very well, but it has not been an exceptional performance. I like him, like his style of management, his focus and media style and how he’s adapted to being a ‘team player’, rather than a bit of a maverick. 

I see merit in retaining his services, greatly so, if we are competing for the play-off places come Xmas.

I can though see why the Lansdown’s have delayed any offer - what if we had lost against Cov - it was a close run thing - and that was followed by defeats against Ipswich and Cardiff, with the squad displaying the same old deficiencies? This forum would be an entirely place… with the Lansdown's no doubt being accused of backing a ‘failing’ manager. 

What I can’t understand is why - as Nige implies - there has been no communication with him regarding the position on his performance targets/ new contract from above. That’s not just unsettling for Nige but the entire off-field coaching/support team. If we aren’t careful, the backroom staff - with job uncertainty - will start looking  elsewhere for jobs and the whole of the last 3 years hard work will start unravelling.  

With the interview, Nige has deliberately forced the Lansdown’s hand. Let’s hope that works - although from past outcomes I fear the worst -  and there is some communication from them to him, and us, about their strategy as this uncertainty breeds discontent. We need to know why the delay and how long a decision will take on the manager’s contract, why none of the Alex money was made available to Nige and why our CEO disappeared so suddenly, how the the new structure works and is deemed an improvement on previous. Could all have quite plausible explanations…..so let’s be having you Steve. 

Edited by RedRock

47 minutes ago, mozo said:

We're not scintillating currently, but despite injury troubles and not being at our best, only 2 Championship teams have conceded fewer goals so far this season

Agree with much of your post. We also have major rolling injuries whixh means we have to compromise on how we play a bit.

Let's see how scintillating some of the top sides or top 10 sides perhaps, no Ipswich especially if they have 5, 6, occasionally even 9 players out week in week out.

Perhaps Leicester would have a strong enough squad to stay top anyway but not many others.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

44 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Christ sake, it’s comments like this which really show which people understand football.

Just because Farke went to Norwich as a former number 2 on the continent, someone like that must be exciting and a probable success. In what world is “yeah but he’s a ex Bundesliga number 2” a measure of excitement over other candidates? Clue - it isn’t. I’m bloody sick of people saying “we need a progressive foreign manager” (and this isn’t a xenophobic thing) as if it’s a silver bullet. It’s not. It’s the next shiny new thing people who don’t understand football like to say to try and make themselves look clever (Hello Ryan Dilks…)

I’ll tell you who’s an exciting appointment that would galvanise the fanbase. Nigel Pearson. This thread proves that.

Fantastic Post

Absolutely nailed it

The ‘Oh look that German / French / Spanish coach has had some success , that’s the future .....quick ...find one........ charge’  brigade through football amazes me and makes me laugh.

Its what the FA themselves did for years

Your last sentence is simple , so true , and absolutely smashes it 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Fantastic Post

Absolutely nailed it

The ‘Oh look that German / French / Spanish coach has had some success , that’s the future .....quick ...find one........ charge’  brigade through football amazes me and makes me laugh.

Its what the FA themselves did for years

Your last sentence is simple , so true , and absolutely smashes it 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

Nigel is the Messiah. 

1 minute ago, Gabriella said:

Nigel is the Messiah. 

No womble ,

he’s not the ‘Messiah’ , as I’ve previously pointed out over the last 3 years ,

Hes just possibly the best , proven manager , or certainly in the conversation , that we’ve had in the last 40/50 years considering the job he’s done with all context , and the level he’s done / doing it at , whilst introducing and using our own, something no one has done to anywhere nearthe same level since Dicks 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sheltons Army said:

No womble ,

Hes just possibly the best , proven manager , or certainly in the conversation , that we’ve had in the last 40/50 years considering the job he’s done with all context , and the level he’s done / doing it at , whilst introducing and using our own, something no one has done to anywhere nearthe same level since Dicks 

I think you’re going OTT. Sorry. Done a good job, but not much more.

3 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

He won't though will he ?

And isn't that what the fawned over LJ did to get a nice shiny new 4 yr deal.

Can’t remember a single person agreeing with that deal, I certainly didn’t.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

It worked for Lee Johnson.

I still say , shunning Pearson will be the worst football decision made by the Club in the last 50 years

There are a few in contention lagging just behind and THAT was one of them - unbelievable 

in fact,  tbf the Lansdowns have a few contenders but shunning Pearson will surpass them for me

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Gabriella said:

I think you’re going OTT. Sorry. Done a good job, but not much more.

Are you basing your view purely on results?

If you look at what he's done for the club, as a whole, especially with little money to spend, and instruction to blood academy players, and the way he's got the whole club working as one, and has the respect of players and fans, galvanised the Club, he's done a fantastic job. 

• Like 12
  • Flames 5

10 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

No womble ,

DICKS OUT !!!

(Sorry all. I'm in a very childish mood today)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

I still say , shunning Pearson will be the worst football decision made by the Club in the last 50 years

There are a few in contention lagging just behind and THAT was one of them - unbelievable 

in fact,  tbf the Lansdowns have a few contenders but shunning Pearson will surpass them for me

Totally agree, it will be the dumbest decision he’s made yet which really is saying something.

Absolute joke of a football club, and it’s long stopped being funny.

1 minute ago, spudski said:

If you look at what he's done for the club, as a whole, especially with little money to spend, and instruction to blood academy players, and the way he's got the whole club working as one, and has the respect of players and fans, galvanised the Club, he's done a fantastic job. 

No I’m basing on everything. The biggest positive has been the academy players coming through - my view is that an additional deal would be reasonable….I can also see the view that he does done a good job of doing the nasty stuff, see how the next few months go.

• Thanks 1

If we're looking to fill the managerial slot any time soon, I would go for the next best, fair dinkum Aussie footy manager out there after Ange Poste-whatsisname. Before someone else does this and are promoted to the PL under him. Failing that, a Spaniard. Or an Argy. Or an Aussie with some Spanish/Argy in him, and a bit of German.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

What makes me laugh , from a luckily few dissenters , the response is 

It’s not about purely results , and Oh yes I accept he’s done a really good job sorting out the mess , but let’s see ..........how the next few .......results .......go ‘

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Totally agree Shelts.

I'm quite a pragmatic bloke in most things including City. However, I would properly lose my sh!t if the 'hierarchy' f@ck this one up. We have a chance as a club to build on some solid foundations for the first time in a long time. That is down to NP. If they can't see that and they think that starting all over again is a better option. Then we my friends are back to square one yet again!

• Like 6
  • Robin 2

1 hour ago, cotswoldred2 said:

Let me try and clarify the situation.... Nigel has a health issue, which probably reduces his capacity to manage. SL obviously is not going to extend his contract whilst there is doubt. 

Forget the past, future, this is the here and now position.

And that seems a fairly sensible position to take, in the here and now.

However, I'm afraid the conversation within the club has moved on from the "shall we give him a new contract" question, to the "how and when are we going to relieve Nigel of his duties, and who are we going to replace him with?" questions. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4