IGNORED

Pearson Post Match

petehinton

4 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

When I think of this club, I think of the people that made a difference.

Before my time, John Atyeo, Harry Dolman. The Ashton Gate 8, Beryl Fudge, Terry Cooper, Jerry SLO (even though he gets a bit slated here), my mates I used to go with who have passed on, various players and games. Cotts, who despite everything should be remembered a double winning manager. Maybe the job Nigel P has done when he leaves.

What I don't think about is Steve Lansdown. And that says everything.

Would you add GJ to that?

It didn't end in the best way but his tenure, the tight knit nature of the side for 2-3 years, the rise from not only mediocre but bottom 2, bottom 1 League One to Championship play-off finalists in 2.5 years, strong Cup runs- the good outweighed the bad for a lot of it. On paper at least our most successful manager since Dicks.

• Like 1

Just now, Gabriella said:

Alternatively, that big pot of money from the Scott sale is being deliberately saved for the new guy - in which case we can upgrade significantly, both in terms of quality and numbers. All ifs and buts.

What a waste - why not give it to someone who knows what he is doing ie Pearson. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Gabriella said:

Alternatively, that big pot of money from the Scott sale is being deliberately saved for the new guy - in which case we can upgrade significantly, both in terms of quality and numbers. All ifs and buts.

That nest egg should be given to NP.

If the appointment is exceptional for the level then speaking dispassionately there are arguments for and against, but no NP should be the one to get that opportunity.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

This site would be pretty boring if everyone agreed on everything - it's what makes it a lively and interesting.

And you really can't just call people trolls and direct these sort of comments at them simply because they disagree with your views.

Lighten up and come back with something a bit more intelligent and inciteful.

This, coming from you? One of the biggest whinge bags on here.  Almost a compliment!  
No wonder you’re sticking up for your mate Waco mind, you must be in clover with all this going on seeing how much you dislike Pearson.  

• Like 2
  • Flames 3

3 minutes ago, lenred said:

This, coming from you? One of the biggest whinge bags on here.  Almost a compliment!  
No wonder you’re sticking up for your mate Waco mind, you must be in clover with all this going on seeing how much you dislike Pearson.  

Counting down the days until he can get on with hounding the next one out.

• Like 4

I keep thinking take Pearson out of the scenario for a minute. I keep coming back to this whole situation which bothers me.

It’s the apparent handling of this whole situation which feels familiarly so shambolically typical of this club. The biggest fear is the previous decisions taken by the board over he last decade have appeared done so more in hope rather than planned.

I will be disappointed if Pearson is forced out at this stage. Not because I think he is some sort of Pep or Klopp, but because with the reality of our apparent financial situation, I think he is the best person to deal with this at this time. If, however, I had confidence in our Directors to have a savvy, intelligent plan to recruit a new manager then I might feel a bit more relaxed about this. Yes, I feel that Nigel would have been shat on, but if he were replaced with a new coach that had logic to it’s succession planning, I could maybe understand it. 

But given the track record of our so called “Board" (i.e. let’s face it SL), I always feel that we will only get the right manager through a matter of luck than foresight. And I suppose SL has to pick lucky soon with his managerial appointments tombola. 

What we can say though is that if SL does appoint a new man, then the pressure will be immense on his appointment to prove SL right. For me it would be SL’s last throw of the dice in his position, if it backfires he would definitely turn any goodwill the fans had against him, despite providing nice stadium and training facilities.

FWIW I think Pearson should stay. This seems increasingly unlikely now. Who do I think will take over? The obvious ones have been mentioned, Jones, Rowett and Eustace. Quite honestly none of them excite me much. Eustace the most out of that lot. I like the way Rosenior, Corberan teams have played although the latter has been struggling with WBA injuries.

Maybe something a bit left field? Who knows, but when we have extensive searches with proven applicants from around the world to end up with Dean Holden (like the guy, but so out of his depth at the time), I don’t have much faith in who we end up with.

As Ipswich is here next, let’s piss off Mark Ashton and poach McKenna on Wednesday night. Which brings me onto another thing (I’m rambling hoping I might find some sense in this football club - much like our owner randomly looking for that elusive successful manager), how do you explain the apparent success of Ashton at Ipswich since his period here left such a mess? Was LJ not that great a bright young coach? Was SL  and JL too incompetent in their overseeing of MA/LJ? Ultimately who was responsible for messing up during this time?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, B-Rizzle said:

So much hysteria on this thread. I totally get the frustration of the Lansdown’s lack of transparency in recent times but so many are talking as if NP is the messiah. I agree he’s done a good job in difficult circumstances and that we’re now in a healthy position football wise (with a optimistic future) but the jury is still out on the pitch, to a certain extent. If we were to lose the next 4 games, how many on here would have changed their minds. A lot, I expect!

Seriously you think the jury is out on the pitch? He has had the best players sold out under him for FFP reasons and had to clear out LJ ridiculous high earners for the same reason. Built a squad that clearly plays for him and the shirt and an identity is forming and the fans are getting behind it. Pretty sure most are not saying he is the messiah but just done a really good job with no support from above and he is being treated with contempt from the Lansdown’s.  

• Like 11
  • Flames 3

1 minute ago, Evs said:

Seriously you think the jury is out on the pitch? He has had the best players sold out under him for FFP reasons and had to clear out LJ ridiculous high earners for the same reason. Built a squad that clearly plays for him and the shirt and an identity is forming and the fans are getting behind it. Pretty sure most are not saying he is the messiah but just done a really good job with no support from above and he is being treated with contempt from the Lansdown’s.  

I get your point but also think that’s easy to say when we’re sat 8th in the league. We’d only have to be a few points worse off and we’d be just above the relegation zone and the outlook looking quite a bit different. This is my point about 4 defeats in a row potentially changing perspectives.

I agree with the lack of support from SL but I standby the fact that progress on the pitch has been slow to steady at best.

Next few months results are massive for me in making my mind up.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ray savino said:

I keep thinking take Pearson out of the scenario for a minute. I keep coming back to this whole situation which bothers me.

It’s the apparent handling of this whole situation which feels familiarly so shambolically typical of this club. The biggest fear is the previous decisions taken by the board over he last decade have appeared done so more in hope rather than planned.

I will be disappointed if Pearson is forced out at this stage. Not because I think he is some sort of Pep or Klopp, but because with the reality of our apparent financial situation, I think he is the best person to deal with this at this time. If, however, I had confidence in our Directors to have a savvy, intelligent plan to recruit a new manager then I might feel a bit more relaxed about this. Yes, I feel that Nigel would have been shat on, but if he were replaced with a new coach that had logic to it’s succession planning, I could maybe understand it. 

But given the track record of our so called “Board" (i.e. let’s face it SL), I always feel that we will only get the right manager through a matter of luck than foresight. And I suppose SL has to pick lucky soon with his managerial appointments tombola. 

What we can say though is that if SL does appoint a new man, then the pressure will be immense on his appointment to prove SL right. For me it would be SL’s last throw of the dice in his position, if it backfires he would definitely turn any goodwill the fans had against him, despite providing nice stadium and training facilities.

FWIW I think Pearson should stay. This seems increasingly unlikely now. Who do I think will take over? The obvious ones have been mentioned, Jones, Rowett and Eustace. Quite honestly none of them excite me much. Eustace the most out of that lot. I like the way Rosenior, Corberan teams have played although the latter has been struggling with WBA injuries.

Maybe something a bit left field? Who knows, but when we have extensive searches with proven applicants from around the world to end up with Dean Holden (like the guy, but so out of his depth at the time), I don’t have much faith in who we end up with.

As Ipswich is here next, let’s piss off Mark Ashton and poach McKenna on Wednesday night. Which brings me onto another thing (I’m rambling hoping I might find some sense in this football club - much like our owner randomly looking for that elusive successful manager), how do you explain the apparent success of Ashton at Ipswich since his period here left such a mess? Was LJ not that great a bright young coach? Was SL  and JL too incompetent in their overseeing of MA/LJ? Ultimately who was responsible for messing up during this time?

Good post RS (as always).

The reality of Nige going is that the next manager recruitment will be run by Tins, Gavin Marshall and JL…Tins being the only football person.  That is better than Ashton and JL running it.  So it becomes heavily influenced by Tins, it’s probably down to him in the main to get it right….and it’s his first recruit.  Pressure on.

• Like 8

Look up every manager out of contract right now. Every manager who might take a job here.

£5 says you will not find a better candidate than Pearson. If he was doing the job he is currently doing at a comparable club, lets say Preston, we'd all be saying there's not way he'd come here. We have the best possible person for the gig going. What a joke it would be to entertain Eustace/Rowett etc. It will probably be Robins. OLD BOYS CLUB!

I don't often get any ITK news, but as it stands Pearson is done. 

• Flames 1

Just now, ZiderEyed said:

Look up every manager out of contract right now. Every manager who might take a job here.

£5 says you will not find a better candidate than Pearson. If he was doing the job he is currently doing at a comparable club, lets say Preston, we'd all be saying there's not way he'd come here. We have the best possible person for the gig going. What a joke it would be to entertain Eustace/Rowett etc. It will probably be Robins. OLD BOYS CLUB!

I don't often get any ITK news, but as it stands Pearson is done. 

Why would John Eustace or Gary Rowett be a joke to entertain? 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

For me Nigel is not the Messiah - but he has earned and deserves far more respect than he is getting from the club.

Why are we in a better/good position as a club, largely because of him. 

Why is our future looking optimistic again on the financial and playing side, largely because of him. 

For me he’s earned the right to continue in the role, be publicly supported through his recovery and, all being well on that front, be fully backed financially. 

However, if he goes, I’m a Bristol City, not Nigel Pearson fan - so…if we make an exciting appointment, get in a cracking CEO and even a new head of performance for example to work alongside Tinnion and use these foundations to go up another level, I’m ultimately happy with that.

My fear is that is not going to happen, I have absolutely no trust that we won’t see another Holden-esque appointment and so begins another failed SL experiment, decline and all these foundations NP has put in place will wash away in the tide. Why fix what’s not broken?

But maybe SL can prove us wrong…time will tell, maybe he will make the right appointment and actually seriously, I mean, top 6 seriously back them.

But we’ve been here before haven’t we?! New manager, same expectations, same average budgets, same old issues behind the scenes. Same old underachieving City with one common denominator holding on and holding us back…

Yep, you’ve expressed more clearly everything I’ve tried to say in my ramblings! This is probably the fear most of us fans have.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, B-Rizzle said:

I get your point but also think that’s easy to say when we’re sat 8th in the league. We’d only have to be a few points worse off and we’d be just above the relegation zone and the outlook looking quite a bit different. This is my point about 4 defeats in a row potentially changing perspectives.

I agree with the lack of support from SL but I standby the fact that progress on the pitch has been slow to steady at best.

Never mind a few points worse off, had we not thrown the Stoke game away we would be 4th and the outlook would be even more different.

Don't think he has months, only scenario that plays out is if we don't stop winning (which isn't going to happen with current squad injuries).

Just now, B-Rizzle said:

30 games in the championship last season there was 10 points between bottom 3 and playoffs, it’s a ridiculously difficult close league. All we ask for is progression which NP has delivered every season despite being hamstrung at the same time producing a team that actually fights and gets the fans behind them. LJ lost 11 in a row with a team that could not give a shite and the trigger was not pulled. Read into that what you want

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I honestly don’t think he has months.

Agreed - can see a change being made during next International break in a couple of weeks unless we are on such a great run of results that SL couldn’t possibly “get rid”…..then again, this is SL we are talking about…..

I get he’s done a lot for the club but…..this for me would be his worst ever decision yet!! And that is saying something!!!!

1 minute ago, B-Rizzle said:

If he keeps getting results he will, no?

Do you honestly think he gets the sack if we remain in the top 10, top 8 or even top 6 over the coming months?

Gabriella was getting results at Birmingham and got booted out when in the top 6. There is every chance with Lansdown. His train set etc. 

25 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Would you add GJ to that?

It didn't end in the best way but his tenure, the tight knit nature of the side for 2-3 years, the rise from not only mediocre but bottom 2, bottom 1 League One to Championship play-off finalists in 2.5 years, strong Cup runs- the good outweighed the bad for a lot of it. On paper at least our most successful manager since Dicks.

Yes, but I was on hiatus from City for nearly all his tenure, so it slipped my mind. I came back after the playoff final season. I missed the good times with AD as well as I only started going when the decline started, though I did see some games over 2/3 seasons of the real 1st division.

All a bit bloody depressing really.

Feel like NP had read the writing on the wall and said ‘sod this for a game of soldiers’ and decided to force the issue. Love his frankness, and has done one hell of a job.

As a sense check, think it’s one of those were fans of other clubs with no skin in this game will think we have lost our collective marbles.

• Like 4