IGNORED

Joe Williams

redsocks

21 minutes ago, petehinton said:

You’ve still gotta be incredibly stupid to do it, even if someone says it might be okay. Especially if you’ve played the game yourself!

The second game was also an FA Cup tie, coming 4 days after his first appearance of the season when he played an hour after being out injured for the previous 6 months.

I totally get the point about medical advice but hard to understand what on earth Holden was thinking, not like we were ever going to win the competition, was it?

If you contrast this with the caution Pearson shows after any injury, Naismith on Saturday, for instance, it is stark.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I've got mixed views on Williams' contract. For me, he's the one of the midfield three that I'd take out the first team if we signed a better option but I also think he's got value as a squad player. Oddly one thing I'd say for him is that I think he's dependable. There are always fans who are going to base their view of his ability to manage injuries on his first two seasons with us but I suspect that's not how the manager or his teammates view things after the last year and a bit. 

Good post. We should always consider upgrading the squad when we can, so whether Joe gets a new contract offer might depend on who we can get in and who else might be going out. The problem is that I doubt NP will be allowed to deal with these kind of matter whilst his position is unclear. (But that's for anothert thread!)

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yes, LJ wanted to sign him in the previous January transfer window, but he got injured. 

That was when we signed Walsh instead wasn't it ?
I did have hopes those 2 would be our midfield for some time, never worked out for anyone .

2 hours ago, David Brent said:

As he is currently injured, presumably the club are looking into how he can be relieved of his contract. 

Why?  He’s likely to miss a couple of games only according to Nige on Saturday.

This is a player who has started pretty much every league game this season, and overall / generally has been pretty decent.  He got injured in training, imagine giving that as the reason for trying to relieve him of his contract! 🤷🏻‍♂️

Now, if you were to say that you don’t want to extend his time here, that’s different.  But we aren’t gonna be paying off any senior players!

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

This is a player who has started pretty much every league game this season, and overall / generally has been pretty decent.  He got injured in training, imagine giving that as the reason for trying to relieve him of his contract! 🤷🏻‍♂️

Now, if you were to say that you don’t want to extend his time here, that’s different.  But we aren’t gonna be paying off any senior players!

I’m in agreement with you 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think he was comparing the Williams situation with the Pearson situation Dave and some posters saying that is the reason to get rid of NP. Or I think he was.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No, different season, that was Jan 2018, Williams was summer 2019 so would’ve been January 2019.

I might be wrong, but the story I heard was we were interested in Williams to begin with. When he got injured we moved on to Walsh. 
Must be the memory playing up, might have been some initial interest maybe.

1 hour ago, David Brent said:

I’m in agreement with you 

⬇️⬇️⬇️

1 hour ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

I think he was comparing the Williams situation with the Pearson situation Dave and some posters saying that is the reason to get rid of NP. Or I think he was.

Ah, got you, ta

5 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I might be wrong, but the story I heard was we were interested in Williams to begin with. When he got injured we moved on to Walsh. 

Liam Walsh! Had almost forgotten about him. Currently residing in the where are they now file.

Actually still at Swansea, 12 appearances in 2 season plus 3 on loan at Hull. Looks like he'll need to drop down the leagues to get his career going again.

Edited by fgrsimon

Thought this lad is worth a mention vs Brum. Hardly put a foot wrong IMO and I’m glad that we’re at least looking for an alternative to James because he won’t last forever.

Thought Joe’s passing was class and he gives us 100% which is all I want to see. Hope he keeps his run in the team going and stays injury free. Well deserved MOTM and he deserved 3 pts even thought we didn’t quite manage it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, real_bristol said:

Thought this lad is worth a mention vs Brum. Hardly put a foot wrong IMO and I’m glad that we’re at least looking for an alternative to James because he won’t last forever.

Thought Joe’s passing was class and he gives us 100% which is all I want to see. Hope he keeps his run in the team going and stays injury free. Well deserved MOTM and he deserved 3 pts even thought we didn’t quite manage it.

Certainly presenting us with a dilemma.

Expect as he’s the only player left not to leave or renew his contract since prior to the pandemic he’s at the very top of our remaining earners now.

After a horrendous first season & not great second one in terms of his availability he managed 33/46 games last season & has done 20/25 this.

His recent form has been excellent & earlier in the season (outstanding at Swansea) he’s played very well too.

Not a clear cut decision either way, at 27 he’s at his peak but I doubt we are interested in offering him even his current wages & that is if we decide to offer anything at all.

Certainly expect either him or James to depart next summer, alongside King, but it could conceivably be all 3.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Expect as he’s the only player left not to leave or renew his contract since prior to the pandemic he’s at the very top of our remaining earners now.

After a horrendous first season & not great second one in terms of his availability he managed 33/46 games last season & has done 20/25 this.

His recent form has been excellent & earlier in the season (outstanding at Swansea) he’s played very well too.

Not a clear cut decision either way, at 27 he’s at his peak but I doubt we are interested in offering him even his current wages & that is if we decide to offer anything at all.

Certainly expect either him or James to depart next summer, alongside King, but it could conceivably be all 3.

King I'd say either move to full time coach or move on.
James I believe is on good wages, while I'd be happy for him to get another year it would have to be reduced wage .
Williams , as you say not clear cut. To replace like for like would cost millions, but would he get comparable wages else where. If we could do a deal I'd be happy for him to stay, but his current wage must be among the top earners and so some give & take would be needed.
Just on a playing side, his current form has been exactly the player we thought we had signed before his injuries and Manning clearly likes him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

I just can’t believe the lad is 27. Only just turned 27 to 

I thought he was 4-5 years older!

44 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Williams , as you say not clear cut. To replace like for like would cost millions, but would he get comparable wages else where. If we could do a deal I'd be happy for him to stay, but his current wage must be among the top earners and so some give & take would be needed.
Just on a playing side, his current form has been exactly the player we thought we had signed before his injuries and Manning clearly likes him.

Williams had a decent reputation when at Wigan and signing him was good move - there must have been other clubs interested in him.
Unfortunately for him and us he was severely hampered by his ongoing hamstring issues and why Nige didn’t want to over stress them so restricted his number of games last season - however he now looks fully fit again and more than capable of starting every match.

Manning seems to rotate Williams with James although they have both started previously as a pair. That might be to ‘rest’ one of them or might be because they’re very similar players doing the same kind of role.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

That’s my fear. That’s a big ask to do in one window. The last time we did that (Brownhill/Pack/Smith) we really struggled.

I’d like at least one replacement signed in January and/or James kept on for a year. I’d imagine Joe Williams is one of our top earners.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Williams had a decent reputation when at Wigan and signing him was good move - there must have been other clubs interested in him.
Unfortunately for him and us he was severely hampered by his ongoing hamstring issues and why Nige didn’t want to over stress them so restricted his number of games last season - however he now looks fully fit again and more than capable of starting every match.

Manning seems to rotate Williams with James although they have both started previously as a pair. That might be to ‘rest’ one of them or might be because they’re very similar players doing the same kind of role.

Not sure i see them as similar players. Williams a more direct, hard tackling ball winner with an eye for a long pass whilst James is more intricate, gets us out of small spaces, provides a cool head and invaluable game management experience. 

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, Henry said:

That’s my fear. That’s a big ask to do in one window. The last time we did that (Brownhill/Pack/Smith) we really struggled.

I’d like at least one replacement signed in January and/or James kept on for a year. I’d imagine Joe Williams is one of our top earners.

I reckon he might even be our top earner.

James will be top few too, very much Pearson’s statement signing when he took over, & bound to have been in demand.

Like you I’d keep one of these two & let King move on as well.

6 minutes ago, Colombo Robin said:

Not sure i see them as similar players. Williams a more direct, hard tackling ball winner with an eye for a long pass whilst James is more intricate, gets us out of small spaces, provides a cool head and invaluable game management experience. 

It’s a subjective view Columbo. Whilst James has the experience he doesn’t often roam far outside the centre circle where he tries to breaks up and stop opponents play. The one time that I remember him actually getting into the opposition box he actually scored.

Williams on the other hand tends to cover a wider area but tries to break up opposition play just as James does - they have similar midfield roles Imo.

• Confused 1

Although I quite like Matty James, Joe Williams is a better player when fully fit!

Personally think Andy King and Matty James will be off. 

Hopefully Taylor Hickman will be offered a contract and he will sign. He has actually said how much he loves it here. 

We defo need another keeper and an out and out goal scorer. 

54 minutes ago, Henry said:

Assuming at most one of the three (King, James, Williams) remains in the summer, we should be trying to succession plan in this window coming.  Notwithstanding the Adam Murphy signing.  I kinda ignore TGH as I see him as “ours” at this point.

Having said that it’s easier said than done, unless it is someone truly better (and they cost), as you’ve then got the balancing act of trying to attract them whilst not being able to guarantee starts / minutes to the end of the season.

It’s a bit like all this talk of a striker.  The balancing act of trying to sign someone, tell them they’re gonna get minutes, and if playing only one striker, how do you handle Conway AND try to get him to commit to a new contract.

Real life Football Manager / Recruitment is quite tricky, innit!

+++++

Re Williams, I would think he IS our top earner, seeing as he signed pre-Covid.  At 27, assuming no further breakdowns, then I’d be pretty tempted to try to tie him down.  I think he’s a very capable player at this level, gives us a bit of bite we don’t have, and I fee, Manning rotates better than Nige on early evidence, which probably suits Joe.

If we went into the summer / next season (long way off admittedly) with Williams, Gardner-Hickman, Knight, Murphy and one more, e.g. someone like Ollie Rathbone, I think that would like ok.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dolman Block B said:

Although I quite like Matty James, Joe Williams is a better player when fully fit!

Personally think Andy King and Matty James will be off. 

Hopefully Taylor Hickman will be offered a contract and he will sign. He has actually said how much he loves it here. 

We defo need another keeper and an out and out goal scorer. 

100% we need a keeper who will genuinely challenge Max. Not because Max is crap, although reading some of the bollocks on here you could be forgiven for thinking that, but more a case of that’s how players perform at higher levels. Max is first name on the team sheet every week (forget he’s the keeper) and he knows it!! In the same way that Wells being back will help Conway return to form in the long run.

• Hmmm 1