IGNORED

Joe Williams

redsocks

27 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

I assume you mean where.

He’s injured… again.

On the one hand I do feel for the guy.

On the other hand, I can’t help but feel let down by his injury record. It’s clearly not his own doing, but is his body capable of meeting the rigorous demands of championship level football on a consistent basis?

Frustrates me greatly.

22 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

On the one hand I do feel for the guy.

On the other hand, I can’t help but feel let down by his injury record. It’s clearly not his own doing, but is his body capable of meeting the rigorous demands of championship level football on a consistent basis?

Frustrates me greatly.

To be fair to him, in this instance, it’s an unlucky event. These things happen in games / training especially if our training is an intense as a matchday scenario. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

To be fair to him, in this instance, it’s an unlucky event. These things happen in games / training especially if our training is an intense as a matchday scenario. 

Yes, I did say in my original comment that I don’t believe he is in any way responsible for his injuries.

But his record since being with us isn’t great. At some point someone has to ask the question whether he would be better suited to football of a lesser intensity.

56 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

Yes, I did say in my original comment that I don’t believe he is in any way responsible for his injuries.

But his record since being with us isn’t great. At some point someone has to ask the question whether he would be better suited to football of a lesser intensity.

He started every league game this season, before yesterday. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, OddBallJim said:

If this was another recurrence of an old injury, you might have a point. But literally any footballer can get a contact injury in training. It makes no sense all to question his ability to sustain Championship football on the back of this particular injury. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

If this was another recurrence of an old injury, you might have a point. But literally any footballer can get a contact injury in training. It makes no sense all to question his ability to sustain Championship football on the back of this particular injury. 

But you would agree that overall, his injury record with us makes for sad reading? 

14 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

But you would agree that overall, his injury record with us makes for sad reading? 

Yesterday was the first game he has missed all season. We have at least 8 players in the squad who have missed more games though injury

• Like 2

6 hours ago, OddBallJim said:

As was previously explained his present injury is a contact injury, something that can happen at anytime. This season he’s played every game.

He had a career threatening injury previously, which he seems to now have overcome, my concern is more that although over that injury it does seem to have affected his game, he doesn’t seem the player he was before. 

6 hours ago, Maldini said:

Can you expand on that?

Holden played him in two games back to back on rock hard pitches after a really bad hamstring tear, rather than easing him back in. No surprise he lasted 20 minutes in game 2 before tearing it again. Medical team said it was fine too.

Was then getting constant mis diagnosis 

• Like 4
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 2

18 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Holden played him in two games back to back on rock hard pitches after a really bad hamstring tear, rather than easing him back in. No surprise he lasted 20 minutes in game 2 before tearing it again. Medical team said it was fine too.

Yep- pretty sure it was said at one stage that he was considering legal action over his medical treatment prior to the arrival of Dave Rennie.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ashtongreight said:

As was previously explained his present injury is a contact injury, something that can happen at anytime. This season he’s played every game.

He had a career threatening injury previously, which he seems to now have overcome, my concern is more that although over that injury it does seem to have affected his game, he doesn’t seem the player he was before. 

This is a fair assessment.

21 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

Radio Bristol commented post match that they had seen him walking round in one of those protective boots at the ground yesterday. 

Typical, reactive, after the horse-has-bolted Bristol City. Joe Williams needs to wear protective boots before he gets injured, ie when he's playing (and training, cooking, eating, sleeping, shopping, browsing, canoodling, driving, bathing, resting, everyth-ing) too bloody late now he's injured. Sort it out, Lansdown 

10 hours ago, OddBallJim said:

I don't think anyone would dispute that but I don't think that necessarily he means he can't play at the intensity of Championship level IF his recurring injuries are behind him.

After a dreadful 20/21 and a difficult 21/22, my memory is that he didn't miss a lot of last season through injury and I don't think this injury is necessary a harbinger of a recurrence.

As others have said, there is a wider issue in the sense that his injuries seem to have changed how he has to play the game. I think he has had games where he has shown he can do that but he's not had the impact we would have hoped for when we signed him.

I've got mixed views on Williams' contract. For me, he's the one of the midfield three that I'd take out the first team if we signed a better option but I also think he's got value as a squad player. Oddly one thing I'd say for him is that I think he's dependable. There are always fans who are going to base their view of his ability to manage injuries on his first two seasons with us but I suspect that's not how the manager or his teammates view things after the last year and a bit. 

Edited by LondonBristolian

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

I don't think anyone would dispute that but I don't think that necessarily he means he can't play at the intensity of Championship level IF his recurring injuries are behind him.

After a dreadful 20/21 and a difficult 21/22, my memory is that he didn't miss a lot of last season through injury and I don't think this injury is necessary a harbinger of a recurrence.

As others have said, there is a wider issue in the sense that his injuries seem to have changed how he has to play the game. I think he has had games where he has shown he can do that but he's not had the impact we would have hoped for when we signed him.

I've got mixed views on Williams' contract. For me, he's the one of the midfield three that I'd take out the first team if we signed a better option but I also think he's got value as a squad player. Oddly one thing I'd say for him is that I think he's dependable. There are always fans who are going to base their view of his ability to manage injuries on his first two seasons with us but I suspect that's not how the manager or his teammates view things after the last year and a bit. 

I agree with your point in bold. I feel there’s definitely a potential to upgrade there. Difficulty of course is finding the player, and teasing SLs purse strings back open again.

3 hours ago, petehinton said:

So not really Holden's fault then if the medics told him he was fit to play!