IGNORED

Atmosphere on Saturday

Clutton Caveman

I was amazed that Coventry fans made the game feel like home game with virtually no response from either the South Stand or the end of the Dolman. Granted the game started badly but surely that's when the team need support the most. It felt flat from pre-match until approx 75 minutes.

I think it would be great if we dropped the clever little tunes like the song for Cornick and got some simple old fashioned songs going that more can join in with.

As it is AG is far from an intimidating place to play and feels more like radio 2 on a Wednesday afternoon.

• Like 1

The issue is (and always be) the lay down of the singing section. It's simply too far away from the away fans and located in a position where the away fans (all 3k of them) out sing the 800+ voices in the corner of the South Stand / Dolman....meaning they are barely heard 

Edited by MelksRed
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Everyone always says how great Coventrys away support is, I found it to be pretty rubbish tbh. 

Barely heard anything from them after our goal. 

They were very vociferous in the first half, but I agree that after we scored they went quiet. 

• Like 3

Coventry support away from home is pretty decent tbf , bit our support away from home this year as been as good as anybody’s ( if not better ) as for Ashton gate being flat it’s been done to death , nearly every ground you go to in the championship ( Leeds apart ) the away fans nearly always out sing the home fans that’s just how it is .

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

Coventry fans seem to be going throughout the same repertoire of songs that we sing, albeit with different words.

I think that made it even harder for our lot to respond, as they had 3000 singing across one stand and we would have had probably half that shoved in a corner.

However thing’s did improve and were great for the final 10/15 minutes when we really needed it.

3 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

I was amazed that Coventry fans made the game feel like home game with virtually no response from either the South Stand or the end of the Dolman. Granted the game started badly but surely that's when the team need support the most. It felt flat from pre-match until approx 75 minutes.

I think it would be great if we dropped the clever little tunes like the song for Cornick and got some simple old fashioned songs going that more can join in with.

As it is AG is far from an intimidating place to play and feels more like radio 2 on a Wednesday afternoon.

Cornick didn't come on until the 66th minute - I would say the atmosphere was better after he came on.

What are these old fashioned songs that more can join in? The Cornick song is to the tune of "I'm into something good" - it came out in 1964, how old are you looking for? I agree the problem is not enough people are joining in. We have about 50 people singing regularly and we need like 2k.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MelksRed said:

The issue is (and always be) the lay down of the singing section. It's simply too far away from the away fans and located in a position where the away fans (all 3k of them) out sing the 800+ voices in the corner of the South Stand / Dolman....meaning they are barely heard 

But when we had singers in the Atyeo, the complaint there was 'the acoustics are all wrong, we want the EastEnd', then it was 'we need to be able to stand', the afforded that. Then there was Block A of the Dolman, but that was a couple of games and then stopped.

If the singers need to be close to the away end (which everyone can hear) it suggests that the answer is simply that not enough people are that in to having a sing, and are happy enough voicing support at key moment, not in retaliation to anything the away fans might be doing.

• Like 8

Just now, Bristol Rob said:

But when we had singers in the Atyeo, the complaint there was 'the acoustics are all wrong, we want the EastEnd', then it was 'we need to be able to stand', the afforded that. Then there was Block A of the Dolman, but that was a couple of games and then stopped.

If the singers need to be close to the away end (which everyone can hear) it suggests that the answer is simply that not enough people are that in to having a sing, and are happy enough voicing support at key moment, not in retaliation to anything the away fans might be doing.

You’re absolutely right. Another aspect that doesn’t, and hasn’t helped in recent years is where ever the “singing section” seems to be, the club make it the cheapest spot, which just dilutes it.

That or actively work against it. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I just think we have fans who aren't interested in signing or creating an atmosphere. Turn up, pint, see friends, watch the game which can be a bore fest, 10 minutes before HT go down for a pint, repeat....... 

• Like 2

Me and two chaps directly behind me (middle of dolman) join in when we hear the singing - we have an average age of about 65 and that only because I'm dragging it down a bit. As posters have said above - its all down to the lack of people joining in.

Part of the problem is that too many people seem to treat going to the football the same as watching the telly: a totally passive experience. Rather spend time on their phones, or idiotically shining their phone flashlights, than joining in *supporting* their team. That young lad in the video posted saturday (?) shames 75% of the silent majority. If you managed to help create an atmosphere against Man Utd and Man City in the league cup, you should be able to repeat that for a league game. Get with the program.

BTW I'll add that I don't join in with negative chants unless they're really funny. For clarity I didn't think 'Leroy Sane is a c###' was remotely funny, but the one from the 80's concerning a male horse's reproductive parts and backside might be. Especially if it's sung next Wednesday, although I'd rather we sang to back NP then.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MelksRed said:

No it's not, the issue is 90% of supporters don't sing.  When we played Man Utd there was no issue with the atmosphere and the singing section was in the same place.

• Flames 1
  • Robin 1

13 hours ago, Pezo said:

Cornick didn't come on until the 66th minute - I would say the atmosphere was better after he came on.

What are these old fashioned songs that more can join in? The Cornick song is to the tune of "I'm into something good" - it came out in 1964, how old are you looking for? I agree the problem is not enough people are joining in. We have about 50 people singing regularly and we need like 2k.

They don't join in because we know the tune but not the words.  If you want 2000 singing sing simple songs that everybody know

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clutton Caveman said:

They don't join in because we know the tune but not the words.  If you want 2000 singing sing simple songs that everybody know

I find a lot of the songs rather simple but that might because I try to sing them. The Harry Cornick song you referred to changes 3 words in one line and most of the next line, if that's complicated then we probably just need to stick to "come on you reds" when we get a corner 5 times a game.

Woke up this morning feelin' Fine There's something special/got Harry Cornick on my mind

Last night I met a new girl in the neighborhood/city's number 9 and he looks so fine, whoa yeah
Something tells me I'm into something good.

I know people that "support" man u that have only been to old Trafford once or twice but they seem to know all the songs.

Plenty of people sing and know the words when they want which seems to coincides with when we are doing well which I can only attribute to them feeling good. If they don't want to get behind the team and sing when things aren't going well then that is there choice but it does lead to a sterile atmosphere and something other teams have that we don't in picking the team up.

Well it was great to hear the alternative Cornick song 'Hurry Up Harry' by Sham 69 played in the ground pre-match on Saturday.

With all due respect to Herman's Hermits, if ever there was a band whose songs were literally written for shouting at the top of your voice on the football terrace, it was these herberts. The lyrics actually have to be written in shouty block capitals with exclamation marks, otherwise they don't quite work.

COME ON! COME ON! HURRY UP HARRY COME ON!

WE'RE GOING DOWN THE PUB! 

Edited by City Rocker
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, MelksRed said:

Sounds just like the CCS…..singing fans too far away from home fans

8 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I’m personally interested in the atmosphere on Wednesday 

Backing for NP is a given! With Mark Ashton and SL (possibly) reunited it could be an atmosphere not for the faint hearted!

Oh I hope so! Especially for NP getting what he deserves and Mark Ashton what he deserves.

The wildcard there is SL, we don't really hear anti Lansdown chants.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous