IGNORED

Atmosphere on Saturday

Clutton Caveman

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

These days, barely. Still have we heard anti SL chants even when he was more often? I only really make home games so can't comment on away but.

I don’t remember any either. However despite being a season ticket holder I can’t get there a great deal. 

Up until now SL has enjoyed huge personal support among the fans, but this is very obviously under threat, if you take this place as a decent cross section of supporters. 

The 'bad atmosphere' topic resurfaces pretty regularly on here. For me, it always comes down to the same 3 things:

1. Team Performance & Momentum.

Almost every club is loud when they're 3-0 up and top of league. Almost every club is quiet when they're 1-0 down and 16th in the table. Very few clubs in the Championship have been as consistently midtable as us since our return to the Championship. Couple that with our generally underwhelming home form over the last 5 years or so, and you'd expect us to be a bit less animated than the average set of home fans.

2. The Stadium.

As has been covered a thousand times, the layout of the new Ashton Gate isn't ideal for generating a hostile home atmosphere. Some suggest that the club "clearly haven't thought about it, despite the fact it's obvious" - I think this is a bit naive. IMO, the Lansdowns have thought about it, but don't have the same appetite for a tense and hostile home atmosphere as the fans do. I don't think the club have made the AG atmosphere feel a bit soft and docile by accident.

3. The Fans.

Despite the above 2 points, it's the fans who generate the noise. We can complain about stadium layouts, excitement on the pitch, pre match music etc etc, but the fundamental reason why the AG atmosphere is quiet is because not many of our fans are singing...........

Case in point: There are a few guys who sit next to me at AG. Perfectly nice chaps and clearly enthusiastic about City given that they've had season tickets for 10+ years. They will regularly make comments about the poor atmosphere at AG and what should be done to fix it. However, in all the time I've been sat by them, I can't recall them joining in with a single chant.

I would ask though, why isn't there:

*A bigger Safe Standing area? 40-50% of the South Stand for one. The top half maybe.

*Perhaps retrofit E34 or parts of E34.

*Somewhere between 10% of the capacity or perhaps even 2k only to away fans. They could stay in the Atyeo albeit as high up it as possible.

If so, can put some home fans in the Atyeo after segregation.

Because fans who stand or can stand and are like-minded are much more likely to sing and chant..whereas it seems that that many away fans will naturally stand and as above signing, chanting easily aligns with standing.

The caveat here is that FA Cup allocations may need to be the whole Atyeo. 15% or so of the capacity but the whole Atyeo.

Club could do a lot more..turn off the bulk of the music in the 10-15 mins before kick off, give singing or chanting the spotlight.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

21 hours ago, Full nelson said:

I just think we have fans who aren't interested in signing or creating an atmosphere. Turn up, pint, see friends, watch the game which can be a bore fest, 10 minutes before HT go down for a pint, repeat....... 

with supporters like you no wonder there’s atmosphere 🙈

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I would ask though, why isn't there:

*A bigger Safe Standing area? 40-50% of the South Stand for one. The top half maybe.

*Perhaps retrofit E34 or parts of E34.

*Somewhere between 10% of the capacity or perhaps even 2k only to away fans. They could stay in the Atyeo albeit as high up it as possible.

If so, can put some home fans in the Atyeo after segregation.

Because fans who stand or can stand and are like-minded are much more likely to sing and chant..whereas it seems that that many away fans will naturally stand and as above signing, chanting easily aligns with standing.

The caveat here is that FA Cup allocations may need to be the whole Atyeo. 15% or so of the capacity but the whole Atyeo.

Club could do a lot more..turn off the bulk of the music in the 10-15 mins before kick off, give singing or chanting the spotlight.

You  having a laugh arnt you 

our chairman won’t even give our manager half of what he wants ( even after getting 20 mill for star boy ) so you think he’s gonna give us peasant fans a bit of what we want . 
im not disagreeing with you mind just saying it as it is 

39 minutes ago, redkev said:

You  having a laugh arnt you 

our chairman won’t even give our manager half of what he wants ( even after getting 20 mill for star boy ) so you think he’s gonna give us peasant fans a bit of what we want . 
im not disagreeing with you mind just saying it as it is 

Sadly I agree with much of this. Some, let alone all of these would be concrete steps in terms of improving the atmosphere, or the baseline of the atmosphere but..yeah giving 3-3 4k depending on allowed allocation with safety considerations etc to away sides..

Of course I get it financially, more away fans more money but we have been in austerity for 3 seasons now, maybe since 2020-21 in some ways. The need isn't there now as such  but SL clearly wants us to be as self sufficient as possible which is disappointing.

Forget even the expenditure point, club NP and his staff, players aside just feels rudderless and stagnant right now. Despite their best efforts.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

21 hours ago, redkev said:

with supporters like you no wonder there’s atmosphere 🙈

We all need to show some collective support tomorrow for our players from the start , to the people who sit on their hands and moan fack off down the mem and you’ll have something to moan about and none of this it takes the players to get the fans going that’s bullshite years ago we’d be singing in the east end 30 minutes before players got on the pitch -just give it a go you might crack a smile and like it 

• Robin 2

37 minutes ago, Topper 123 said:

We all need to show some collective support tomorrow for our players from the start , to the people who sit on their hands and moan fack off down the mem and you’ll have something to moan about and none of this it takes the players to get the fans going that’s bullshite years ago we’d be singing in the east end 30 minutes before players got on the pitch -just give it a go you might crack a smile and like it 

Too many “happy clappers” on there phone during the match nowadays. Really pisses me off TBH. Get behind the manager & the team FFS.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

I remember the days when Harry Dolman came to every game, even when things weren’t going well.  He also sat there in the old New Stand when fans came up and shouted in his face.

What different and, very arguably, better times.  Wish we had old Harry back - after all, in the end, he DID deliver top level football.

Of course I am well aware SL can’t attend often given his interesting tax status -  in my view a problem in itself

23 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

Too many “happy clappers” on there phone during the match nowadays. Really pisses me off TBH. Get behind the manager & the team FFS.

Or staying in the concourse bar which I think should close on kick off -open 5 mins before half time then close again on kick off