IGNORED

Come on SL, speak..

PFree

Combination of depth and first team in the last 12 months- one of which sad circumstances due to injury etc.

1) Bentley

2) Kalas, Baker, Klose

3) DaSilva

4) Scott

5) Massengo

6) Semenyo

7) Martin

Plus barely seen players such as Haikin and Wilson.

In:

1) Thomas (Just a short term replacement for Wiles-Richards isn't he).

2) McCrorie

3) Dickie

4) Roberts

5) Knight, Gardner-Hickman

5) Cornick, Mehmeti

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jeez said:

Glad you’re not my IFA

It was not be the reinvesting the fans wanted, but it is reinvesting. When you sell 2 items, and bring in 7 items, that is reinvesting! Just because you haven't reinvested all you just collected, it doesn't mean you didn't reinvest. People keep going on that the club has not reinvested since selling the players, but we have added 7 players to the squad, that is reinvesting!

Just now, robinforlife2 said:

It was not be the reinvesting the fans wanted, but it is reinvesting. When you sell 2 items, and bring in 7 items, that is reinvesting! Just because you haven't reinvested all you just collected, it doesn't mean you didn't reinvest. People keep going on that the club has not reinvested since selling the players, but we have added 7 players to the squad, that is reinvesting!

See post above then come back and be sensible

2 minutes ago, frenchred said:

And that replaces all the others we lost as well?

Jeez, get real

All the others ?

Bentley - sold on, the club has faith in Max, and happy to have younger cover, so they don't see him as needing to be replaced, I personally disagree, but the club are/were happy with this scenario.

Kalas - Injured 90% of last season, so in theory, whilst Dickie could be deemed a replacement or McCrorie, he didn't figure much last season.

Baker - Was never able to be selected last season, so not relatable

Klose - Had deal extended, struggled and left, didn't really feature last season, so again didn't need to be replaced.

DaSilva - Generally considered 2nd best behind Pring, Roberts in as cover.

Scott - Can be argued Knight was signed knowing Scott was off. Scott in his interviews, made it clear he wanted to go and club knew at the end of last season, so I personally don't buy into the comments Knight was signed to play with Scott, I think that was just club talk, as they were harbouring the best deal possible for a player who was definitely going.

Semenyo - The progression of Bell, Conway, arrival of Mehmeti and Cornick, meant we had enough attacking options to cover his departure.

Martin - Bit part player, who was released as we had enough attacking options, didn't need replacing.

So, to answer your question, yes, the 7 players we have added to the squad, more than covered the players we lost and it was only really Semenyo, Scott and Baker who were key players, but we've added 7 players who were supposed to be first team players.

Now, we have been unlucky with injuries and there is every chance that the fans feel we need a keeper, another option at centre back, possibly an attacking midfielder and a natural finisher, but if that's the case, it can only be said the recruitment failed in its job when bringing in 7 players. Keeper aside, we have added to the other positions that many fans are crying out for. If we didn't have the injuries, we have a competitive side, the problem is, we don't have strength in depth, but the club are unwilling to expose the club financially and therefore, with a small squad, we are relying on the youngsters being the back up and the future. 

But to say, we haven't reinvested, or replaced players we've lost, sold or let go is untrue. The more apt question could be, have we replaced them very well, and the answer to that, is on the whole probably not. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, MarcusX said:

His legacy will be a fantastic stadium and facilities, and the base for someone else to come in and take us to the next level.

Its only fantastic if you compare it to The Mem, its really not that great, if the Atyeo ever gets replaced then itll be fantastic, but as we all know, thats never going to happen, a bit like us getting promoted!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

Its only fantastic if you compare it to The Mem, its really not that great, if the Atyeo ever gets replaced then itll be fantastic, but as we all know, thats never going to happen, a bit like us getting promoted!

At this moment in time, I feel you are probably right on both counts, I still can't believe the number of posters on here who were glad we didn't move to Ashton Vale, and you are right the Atyeo will continue to look the poor relation for years to come, why we didn't use the redevelopment to move the ground a bit further away from those houses I will never know.

12 minutes ago, pillred said:

At this moment in time, I feel you are probably right on both counts, I still can't believe the number of posters on here who were glad we didn't move to Ashton Vale, and you are right the Atyeo will continue to look the poor relation for years to come, why we didn't use the redevelopment to move the ground a bit further away from those houses I will never know.

Agreed, plus we can only get 25K when we have 27K seats because of this. Ashton Vale would have helped us for the Euros. The Atyeo is awful and even if same capacity I would try and replace. 

• Like 2

Jerry kindly answered my question on it but there is still a little mystery here.

Which is why does the Atyeo which has tended to hold 4-4.2k, only hold 3.4k? It's not just segregation it appears to be the actual max capacity verbatim.

I'm quite sure it held 4k 4.2k or up to. Is it solely a stand by stand segregation issue? Post Swansea 2019 maybe, I've no real idea.

If so, this should be clearly communicated to fans and is not necessarily the fault of the club either..Safety Advisory Group anyone??

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Might interest you @Shauntaylor85and anyone else. From 2014, distinctly stated the capacity and even a capacity with segregation.

This appears to have been reduced without fanfare? Both the base capacity and the segregated one.

Dolman obviously 6-6.5k now, South Stand has replaced East End and Lansdown has replaced Williams. Anywhere between 320 and 566 seats appear to have disappeared from the capacity however.

Screenshot_20231029-015423_OneDrive.thumb.jpg.c5a2285310ad41025b6d796f369e75f3.jpg

9 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

, we have been unlucky with injuries and there is every chance that the fans feel we need a keeper, another option at centre back, possibly an attacking midfielder and a natural finisher, but if that's the case, it can only be said the recruitment failed in its job when bringing in 7 players

The spine of the side needs strengthening, no doubt about that at all....so yes,your correct to question recruitment.

I’ve listened to SL for more than 20 years. He had me hook, line and sinker for the first seven or eight of those years. But, while I’ve continued to listen, I’m wise to his contradictions, false ambition, arrogance and the ability to ignore all context whatsoever. I don’t want to hear what he has to say anymore and I’ll sit up and take notice again once he sells up — and that can’t come soon enough IMO.

• Like 16

13 hours ago, glynriley said:

Did I say that?

We picked up 3 in game injuries on Wednesday. Nobody, no matter how good a medical professional they are, can “prevent” that. 

If you think Rennie or anyone else can prevent Matt James getting a kick on the ankle, well, good luck with that. 

Might’ve been covered since but a few years ago we had a fan base calling for our physios head due to the number of injuries we were experiencing (and this is a fanbase who are disconnected to the day to day training and work undertaken).

At the time, the team management was defended constantly and then we moved on the physio guy and everyone cheered. No one questioned if the manager was pressing for players to be made available earlier than they should be. No one questioned if the manager and coaching team were thrashing players in training against conditioning advice. 

Everything was blamed on the physio team. 

Remarkable how we are back around to this again.

6 minutes ago, t_b said:

Might’ve been covered since but a few years ago we had a fan base calling for our physios head due to the number of injuries we were experiencing (and this is a fanbase who are disconnected to the day to day training and work undertaken).

At the time, the team management was defended constantly and then we moved on the physio guy and everyone cheered. No one questioned if the manager was pressing for players to be made available earlier than they should be. No one questioned if the manager and coaching team were thrashing players in training against conditioning advice. 

Everything was blamed on the physio team. 

Remarkable how we are back around to this again.

Nige did mention how they manage the training, not flogging players to death like other places

1 minute ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Nige did mention how they manage the training, not flogging players to death like other places

Well I wouldn’t expect any manager to come out and openly say “Yeah, I’m overworking the lads to the point that they risk getting injured but it’s fine” so not sure one side of the story adds to it.

8 minutes ago, t_b said:

Well I wouldn’t expect any manager to come out and openly say “Yeah, I’m overworking the lads to the point that they risk getting injured but it’s fine” so not sure one side of the story adds to it.

Well yes, but the fact he mentioned it last week would suggest he is aware of people’s concerns re that aspect of training

11 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

All the others ?

Bentley - sold on, the club has faith in Max, and happy to have younger cover, so they don't see him as needing to be replaced, I personally disagree, but the club are/were happy with this scenario.

Kalas - Injured 90% of last season, so in theory, whilst Dickie could be deemed a replacement or McCrorie, he didn't figure much last season.

Baker - Was never able to be selected last season, so not relatable

Klose - Had deal extended, struggled and left, didn't really feature last season, so again didn't need to be replaced.

DaSilva - Generally considered 2nd best behind Pring, Roberts in as cover.

Scott - Can be argued Knight was signed knowing Scott was off. Scott in his interviews, made it clear he wanted to go and club knew at the end of last season, so I personally don't buy into the comments Knight was signed to play with Scott, I think that was just club talk, as they were harbouring the best deal possible for a player who was definitely going.

Semenyo - The progression of Bell, Conway, arrival of Mehmeti and Cornick, meant we had enough attacking options to cover his departure.

Martin - Bit part player, who was released as we had enough attacking options, didn't need replacing.

So, to answer your question, yes, the 7 players we have added to the squad, more than covered the players we lost and it was only really Semenyo, Scott and Baker who were key players, but we've added 7 players who were supposed to be first team players.

Now, we have been unlucky with injuries and there is every chance that the fans feel we need a keeper, another option at centre back, possibly an attacking midfielder and a natural finisher, but if that's the case, it can only be said the recruitment failed in its job when bringing in 7 players. Keeper aside, we have added to the other positions that many fans are crying out for. If we didn't have the injuries, we have a competitive side, the problem is, we don't have strength in depth, but the club are unwilling to expose the club financially and therefore, with a small squad, we are relying on the youngsters being the back up and the future. 

But to say, we haven't reinvested, or replaced players we've lost, sold or let go is untrue. The more apt question could be, have we replaced them very well, and the answer to that, is on the whole probably not. 

However you spin it, one of the richest blokes in the UK has been out performed over the years by Bournemouth, Wigan, Burnley, Brighton, Luton etc etc. 

Appalling appointments - of managers, chairmen, and other senior personnel- are the reason for that.

Micro analysis of one summers player transfers is not really the issue that needs addressing. 

• Like 9
  • Flames 1

14 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

But I’m just so sick of our club achieving so little from one year to the next.....

I look at friends the same age as me who support comparable clubs and they have great stories to tell. My Leicester supporting cousins lived the ultimate dream. My Swansea mates climbed the ladder and made it to Europe. Hell, even my Swindon mates got to the PL once. What stories have I got to tell? Very little by comparison.

I would take a chance on new ownership now. It might be risky, but I’ll take that risk even if just to make supporting this club a bit more exciting.

This is a good summary of my feelings too. It is a reason why I wouldn't be that upset if NP moves on. I agree it would be a bit harsh but if he has fallen out with SL and we will only spend if we get a new manager I'd rather we moved on. I do think it takes two to tango and keeping the owners happy is surely part of the job. It is boring and predictable at the moment so a change might actually work, who knows.

13 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

How many more times, THEY didn't want to stay!

I’m sure they didn’t and given the lack of ambition being shown from the owner of our club, who can blame them?

Until this club show some genuine ambition to reach a higher level, we will never convince any future starlet to stick with us a bit longer and enjoy the ride to the promised land.

I don’t believe SL has any intention for us to getting to the Prem.  To be fair, he’s now probably achieved his ultimate goal of our Academy creating a steady flow of young players to sell on ….. getting closer to his sustainable club if you like.

I think it’s now patently clear that the ultimate aims of SL and the fans are totally different things.  As he’s the one who calls the shots, I know which one I’d bet on to get what they want!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

Although, Scotts interview when he left made it crystal clear he wanted to leave. He spoke about having respect for the fans and club and wanted to say little and keep quiet, but openly said he wanted to leave, wanted to join Bournemouth. 

Regardless whether the club wanted to try and keep him (gave him a contract offer), or Nigel tried to keep him, the player wanted to leave! 

Well it’s unlikely he or any player would say I don’t want to leave, is it? I don’t hold much store in that. 

Just to add, IMO had we not sold Scott we would have been rather hemmed in transfer market wise.

However we sold him and for a record fee at that- and yet..here we are, relatively thin squad, decimated by injuries with only Gardner-Hickman on koan and Lewis Thomas on a free joining, the latter due to Wiles-Richards being injured so it's short term.

We had 8 on the bench yesterday, didn't fill it and of those 8 2 were keepers.

18 hours ago, PFree said:

But we are struggling due to a lack of investment? And I keep reading about SL has lost interest, but who knows until he eventually speaks and it comes from the horses mouth..!

From a simplistic point of view, a business should communicate proactively, ie before the customer starts moaning (that indicates they foresaw problems).  Next best is reactive comms, at least recognising the customer is moaning.  Worst is no comms at all, treating your customers with contempt.  I guess there is a further level, Gerald Rainer comms, where you slag off your own product!

17 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Are either of them that good?

Granted the stadium had limitations but the training ground could have been better, far from one of the best in the league 

Yep, Stadium is too small and training ground, being new, will be better than a lot, but it is miles off some of the training facilities in the PL...which is allegedly where we aspire to be.

17 hours ago, Northern Red said:

I hope he was watching that today.

Rumour is he was at AG watching The Bears!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, gary s said:

What if Steve sells all is Bristol sport part of the deal ? What if the next investor buys everything and is more interested in rugby and ploughs all his money into rugby ,we will be second class citizens in Ashton gate or am I missing something can he sell just the football club 

There is no money to be made in Rugby, Bears are already top-flight, the riches of PL football aren't there in Premier rugby!

16 hours ago, grifty said:

How many more player do you want?

Just 2 would've satisfied me....a midfielder and a defender.  Would've taken pressure off of key individuals.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

From a simplistic point of view, a business should communicate proactively, ie before the customer starts moaning (that indicates they foresaw problems).  Next best is reactive comms, at least recognising the customer is moaning.  Worst is no comms at all, treating your customers with contempt.  I guess there is a further level, Gerald Rainer comms, where you slag off your own product!

Yep, Stadium is too small and training ground, being new, will be better than a lot, but it is miles off some of the training facilities in the PL...which is allegedly where we aspire to be.

Rumour is he was at AG watching The Bears!

One of my biggest criticisms of Lansdown until recently is that the shiny new much promoted training ground isn't actually all that. No FFP constraints, he should have been looking to build a top 15 facility at least. No reason not to aim for that level?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Agree with the last sentence but we also pick up a hell of a lot of long term muscle injuries. That's the concern for me.

We don't really, hamstring, calf, quad have decreased hugely over past two seasons.

15 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Or..he had players lined ready to sign once Scott left and was told that the Scott money was no longer available.

When Nige first came up with the "we are at our budget" comment I was sure this was Nige playing games, to avoid new signings asking for too much in the aftermath of the Scott sale.  I was wrong, he was being straight.

I still can't get my head around it.

AND IT IS THAT I WANT ONE OF THE LANSDOWN'S TO EXPLAIN.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

There is no money to be made in Rugby, Bears are already top-flight, the riches of PL football aren't there in Premier rugby!

Just 2 would've satisfied me....a midfielder and a defender.  Would've taken pressure off of key individuals.

We desperately need(ed) a dynamic, athletic, forward thinking CM - Have never replaced Brownhill.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We don't really, hamstring, calf, quad have decreased hugely over past two seasons.

When Nige first came up with the "we are at our budget" comment I was sure this was Nige playing games, to avoid new signings asking for too much in the aftermath of the Scott sale.  I was wrong, he was being straight.

I still can't get my head around it.

AND IT IS THAT I WANT ONE OF THE LANSDOWN'S TO EXPLAIN.

Plus the pressure they seem to be piling on Pearson when he is performing at or above the budget