IGNORED

Horrific accident

phantom

An astonishing incident, that I wish I hadn't seen the footage of. Certainly feel sorry for all those that witnessed it in the arena, must have been very traumatic, particularly for all the families with children in attendance. 

I wonder if there will be repercussions for the other player involved, as not sure why their blade was up anywhere near neck height.

• Sad 1

It's happened a couple of times in the NHL that I know of, both times the player survived, footage is on Youtube, Clint Malarchuk and Richard Zednik.

Not a link to the actual Malarchuk incident but his Wiki page with a graphic description of the incident and how he was saved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clint_Malarchuk

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

That’s one of the worst things I’ve ever seen. I wouldn’t recommend watching, wish I hadn’t. Poor bloke.

I’m not asking for a link, but how on earth did you manage to watch it?

I mean, surely it wasn’t shown live and, even if the original incident itself was shown, surely the screen then showed something else.

Please don’t tell me it’s available on some highlights show.

I’m baffled.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE

10 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I mean, surely it wasn’t shown live and, even if the original incident itself was shown, surely the screen then showed something else.

I’m baffled.

If you look there are sites which do the darker side of life shall we say.

34 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I’m baffled.

It's on Twitter, very easy to find, but as I said I wouldn't recommend it.

• Admin
2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I wonder if there will be repercussions for the other player involved, as not sure why their blade was up anywhere near neck height.

It's certainly an odd position that he's in

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Looking at the graphic on the footage, it looks likely that it was being shown on something akin to Robins TV 

To be fair the footage I've seen all cuts out at the same point. Up to then it's not really clear how bad the situation is, but I'd say it did cut as soon as it became apparent what had happened 

• Like 1

Not sure what you saw, but from the video I saw you see the impact immediately, he struggles on his knees with blood everywhere, and then staggers up and skates back to the bench with blood clearly all down his front before it cuts.

Either way, if you haven't seen it I wouldn't recommend. I think hundreds of people in that arena will be suffering from the trauma today having seen that.

• Admin
7 hours ago, Lewisdabaron said:

Horrible incident.

About time these ice hockey players also stopped fighting at every opportunity. 

Seems they pride themselves on having a ruck on the ice, doing things like this could cost someone else their life. 

I have never understood how the refs etc stand back and let them fight, it's almost like points are awarded or something

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, spudski said:

I understand the Police are looking into this. 

Lots of Professional players are saying it wasn't an accident and that the other player raised his foot on purpose, even after collision . 

Either way it's a real tragedy and awful to watch. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-67261168

South Yorkshire Police said: “Detectives have today (Tuesday 14 November) arrested a man on suspicion of manslaughter. He remains in police custody at this time.

"On Saturday 28 October, Adam, aged 29, was seriously injured during a game between Nottingham Panthers and Sheffield Steelers and was sadly later pronounced deceased in hospital. A post-mortem examination confirmed he died as a result of a fatal neck injury.”

• Admin
12 minutes ago, Super said:
South Yorkshire Police said: “Detectives have today (Tuesday 14 November) arrested a man on suspicion of manslaughter. He remains in police custody at this time.

"On Saturday 28 October, Adam, aged 29, was seriously injured during a game between Nottingham Panthers and Sheffield Steelers and was sadly later pronounced deceased in hospital. A post-mortem examination confirmed he died as a result of a fatal neck injury.”

What a horrible situation this has become

At the time there were a few people saying it wasn't an accident, but in the few weeks since it seemed like people were treating it as an accident

I honestly don't know if it is just protocol being following that he's been arrested? I assume it would be to record his interviews etc especially now the coroner has reached their verdict

I saw the footage the other week and yeah seriously doesn't surprise me the guy who caused the incident was arrested. It didn't look like natural movement, to my eyes what he did with his feet but I don't really know Ice Hockey that well, but with the rumours about this particular player being known for being aggressive then it sounds about right.

• Like 1