IGNORED

He’s gone.

Henry

1 hour ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

What does he know, he was one of the worst City manager/coaches ever, remember the 9 goals conceded against Swansea and him crying in the middle of the pitch after a great player for us,  but should have never come back to us.  It was the old boys game again, in my opinion, a trouble maker.

In fairness, it was only 7   :laugh:

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

I;ve no idea, but I know he was worse than useless as a manager.

I remember the game well, a team cobbled together because of injuries, played like 11 strangers. Lost 7-1

Compare to City v Cardiff, a team cobbled together because of injuries, played like they were all first choice and had played together many times, narrowly beaten 2-0.

15 hours ago, Countryfile said:

I remember the game well, a team cobbled together because of injuries, played like 11 strangers. Lost 7-1

Compare to City v Cardiff, a team cobbled together because of injuries, played like they were all first choice and had played together many times, narrowly beaten 2-0.

Division lower, as well.

Surprised he’s not leading the interim team in charge on Saturday if he knows so much?

• Like 1

The wave of mass hysteria has hit here in deepest Lanzarotte!

Firstly, if it were my Club I would have supported ‘our Nige’ after the sale of Scott with the promise of more to come in January’s window. He was a cracking manager with many managerial values and principles akin to my own. Even during the ‘dark days’ last Xmas - bar a little wobble - I resolutely supported him. He became entwined into the soul of the Club in a way no other manager - bar Cotts, Dicks, Cooper - has achieved.  I find it difficult to accept he will manage another Club, he became the ‘beating heart’ of Bristol City in a very short time. 

However, I am not totally dismissive of SLs decision. I’m sure towards the end many of the likely agreed ‘performance indicators’ were blazing red. While 100% supportive of the small squad, team is greater than the sum of its parts approach you really have to be built from men of granite, not glass. Our injuries have destroyed us. The injury list is far worse than the worst of pre-Nige. You also need playing partnerships. There are none - as none are in the team sufficiently long enough to forge partnerships before they get injured. You also need to spend wisely. We haven’t. The Club also need to be united, and Nige’s job is to manage up as well as down, and clearly there have been many issues up the line…probably starting with the Danny Simpson saga. 

So while personally I really, really like Nige as a manager and a person, if I were pumping £20 million plus a year into the Club I can see that an investor might take a different view. The decision to terminate Nige’s contract has also to be seen in the context of the new appointee. Nige has set a very high bar. It will be interesting to see how far above that bar the new man is. I would hope the new man is in place today or tomorrow and frankly, for me, that will be ‘judgement day’.  

Desperately sad though to see Nige go though, and hope for a few months he focuses on his health, rather than football. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RedRock said:

However, I am not totally dismissive of SLs decision. I’m sure towards the end many of the likely agreed ‘performance indicators’ were blazing red. While 100% supportive of the small squad, team is greater than the sum of its parts approach you really have to be built from men of granite, not glass. Our injuries have destroyed us. The injury list is far worse than the worst of pre-Nige. You also need playing partnerships. There are none - as none are in the team sufficiently long enough to forge partnerships before they get injured. You also need to spend wisely. We haven’t. The Club also need to be united, and Nige’s job is to manage up as well as down, and clearly there have been many issues up the line…probably starting with the Danny Simpson saga. 

I appreciate everyone has their opinion, and you do make some decent points in your post, but this entire paragraph is beyond harsh in my opinion.

If indeed many performance indicators were in the red, it shows a complete lack of awareness or understanding by the board. For us to be just a few points off the play-offs while going through what you admit is our worst injury crisis, surely suggests that we would be there or thereabouts hitting targets were it not for some epic misfortune. Playing partnerships and the lack of are a further extension of that bad luck, not poor management. And the lack of a sufficient playing squad to cover those injuries (we know we need 2 or 3 more players) is a strategic decision by the owner, not the manager.

Whether we've spent wisely or not is up for debate but I think generally his hit rate is pretty decent, and we have plenty more to come from the likes of Mehmeti. Spending wisely is also that much more difficult when your wage budget is being restricted.

All things considered I think we're currently performing about as well as we could be in the circumstances, and it's pretty rare for fans to be so understanding in that regard. The fact that the board thought we should be performing higher under this scenario is just an utter madness.

Edited by nebristolred

14 minutes ago, RedRock said:

The wave of mass hysteria has hit here in deepest Lanzarotte!

Firstly, if it were my Club I would have supported ‘our Nige’ after the sale of Scott with the promise of more to come in January’s window. He was a cracking manager with many managerial values and principles akin to my own. Even during the ‘dark days’ last Xmas - bar a little wobble - I resolutely supported him. He became entwined into the soul of the Club in a way no other manager - bar Cotts, Dicks, Cooper - has achieved.  I find it difficult to accept he will manage another Club, he became the ‘beating heart’ of Bristol City in a very short time. 

So while personally I really, really like Nige as a manager and a person, if I were pumping £20 million plus a year into the Club I can see that an investor might take a different view. The decision to terminate Nige’s contract has also to be seen in the context of the new appointee. Nige has set a very high bar. It will be interesting to see how far above that bar the new man is. I would hope the new man is in place today or tomorrow and frankly, for me, that will be ‘judgement day’.  

Desperately sad though to see Nige go though, and hope for a few months he focuses on his health, rather than football. 

If NPs health and lack of time on the training ground was part of the issue,they should have pushed Nige upstairs replacing Tins as DOF and make Tins Director of Acadamy

39 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Division lower, as well.

Surprised he’s not leading the interim team in charge on Saturday if he knows so much?

If you ever watch the Academy teams you will see that he often ‘advises’ the guys supposedly in charge.

20 minutes ago, davidoldfart said:

If NPs health and lack of time on the training ground was part of the issue,they should have pushed Nige upstairs replacing Tins as DOF and make Tins Director of Acadamy

That's assuming Nige would have been happy to do that. 

30 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

I appreciate everyone has their opinion, and you do make some decent points in your post, but this entire paragraph is beyond harsh in my opinion.

If indeed many performance indicators were in the red, it shows a complete lack of awareness or understanding by the board. For us to be just a few points off the play-offs while going through what you admit is our worst injury crisis, surely suggests that we would be there or thereabouts hitting targets were it not for some epic misfortune. Playing partnerships and the lack of are a further extension of that bad luck, not poor management. And the lack of a sufficient playing squad to cover those injuries (we know we need 2 or 3 more players) is a strategic decision by the owner, not the manager.

Whether we've spent wisely or not is up for debate but I think generally his hit rate is pretty decent, and we have plenty more to come from the likes of Mehmeti. Spending wisely is also that much more difficult when your wage budget is being restricted.

All things considered I think we're currently performing about as well as we could be in the circumstances, and it's pretty rare for fans to be so understanding in that regard. The fact that the board thought we should be performing higher under this scenario is just an utter madness.

It's a harsh world. Football is about results and entertainment. Don't think Nige scores more than average on either of those. 

That said, I would have kept him, but then I'm not having to manage him :)

5 minutes ago, RedRock said:

It's a harsh world. Football is about results and entertainment. Don't think Nige scores more than average on either of those. 

That said, I would have kept him, but then I'm not having to manage him :)

But that's the thing, is there another manager out there at our level who would have us higher than we are now with the same squad, same wage restrictions and the same injuries? I absolutely don't believe there is.

If that's the case, the manager isn't the problem, the situation and the strategy is the problem.

Edited by nebristolred
  • Like 1

What a ******* shambles.

Sack a manager who has steadily each year increased the points total at the end of the season, whilst having two hands tied behind his back! It’s stupidity like this that is part of the reason you are one of the two biggest clubs to have never played in the Premier League.

The question that should be asked is who can they get that is BETTER.

I as an outsider believe that if Pearson was given the Scott money he could have you in the top 8 (then luck plays a part in the rest), this league is honestly absolutely ******* dire and you don’t have to be THAT good to be top 6 imo.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

If you ever watch the Academy teams you will see that he often ‘advises’ the guys supposedly in charge.

Yep, can confirm. Last time I saw them live was at Crewe last year. He was sat a few rows back behind the dugouts, then at half time he went down and had a quick conflab on the touchline with the coaches (Ali Hines and Trevor Challis) before they all went in to speak to the players. Then in the second half, before they made subs one of the coaches came up into the stand to run it past him.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

But that's the thing, is there another manager out there at our level who would have us higher than we are now with the same squad, same wage restrictions and the same injuries? I absolutely don't believe there is.

If that's the case, the manager isn't the problem, the situation and the strategy is the problem.

It's the injuries that have killed us together with the small squad. Where does the manager's responsibility start and stop with injuries?

I assume given as historically we seem to have a higher injury rate than other Club's one of the first issues that Nige must have addressed is why? Take it that the pitches have been ruled out...so that starts to point back to the manager in terms of recruitment - age, fitness levels, past injury records, squad size, training, diet, match strategies et al. 

Frankly, I don't know why we seem so injury prone. Struth, we even 'broke' Alex before he left us!

Anyhow, playing a bit 'devil's advocate' to try and understand SLs thinking...as I said in my original post I'd have kept Nige on myself, but he's not above ny criticism.

Just now, RedRock said:

I assume given as historically we seem to have a higher injury rate than other Club's one of the first issues that Nige must have addressed is why? Take it that the pitches have been ruled out...so that starts to point back to the manager in terms of recruitment - age, fitness levels, past injury records, squad size, training, diet, match strategies et al. 

Frankly, I don't know why we seem so injury prone. Struth, we even 'broke' Alex before he left us!

Playing 'devil's advocate' is absolutely fair enough in that case. Not sure how accurate it is, but someone on SOTC did mention yesterday though that only one of our current injuries was caused through training - all the others are either illnesses or in-match, which does suggest a lot of bad luck, even if not wholly bad luck.

Sorry guys just so I’m clear what we think happened. Nige and Tinnion have had a fall out behind the scenes… all started to get sour. And we chose the side of someone who failed as a manager vs someone who is Proven to have built squads, got promoted and managed in the top flight. 

Know it’s never as black and white as that but if this decision was made for “progressive” reasons.. why is the old boys club more important 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Not Banksy said:

Sorry guys just so I’m clear what we think happened. Nige and Tinnion have had a fall out behind the scenes… all started to get sour. And we chose the side of someone who failed as a manager vs someone who is Proven to have built squads, got promoted and managed in the top flight. 

Know it’s never as black and white as that but if this decision was made for “progressive” reasons.. why is the old boys club more important 

In a nutshell, yes.

I am completely flabbergasted that a man who failed miserably, in a league below, is now in charge of all football operations.

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

MY GUESS is that Luton are going to be the excuse for such a disgusting decision.

Maybe SL believes we were well overdue promotion as we spent way more than them, were a bigger club, better facilities therefore NP wasn't doing well enough and he wouldn't spend anymore money chasing something unattainable with the current staff unless we were unbelievably successful and in a strong position and maybe still in a cup.

Is it that a new investee has their terms of engagement and this is step one of it, if so we're stepping backwards so SL can get a bit of financial return (from his loss) which is just completely selfish if true, or is it a cost cutting episode to replace Nige with BT AGAIN, nothing would surprise me as this buffoon makes mistakes again and again and never learns, football is not for him.

I'm grateful for the academy and 3 sides of a decent stadium but it's time to **** off but it's almost guaranteed he won't leave until the end of the season just before we get relegated back to where he left us!!!

• Like 1

On 30/10/2023 at 14:31, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

What does he know, he was one of the worst City manager/coaches ever, remember the 9 goals conceded against Swansea and him crying in the middle of the pitch after a great player for us,  but should have never come back to us.  It was the old boys game again, in my opinion, a trouble maker.

He's done a great job with the academy but he should never be able to manage the team but anything to save a penny.

On 30/10/2023 at 00:10, Shauntaylor85 said:

We have also recently played Leeds and Leicester away. How on earth did we expect to win. 

On my way home after the Leeds game (I live in Leeds), I listened to Leeds supporters talk about the game and the one thing that was being said about us was how we were the only team they'd played in a long time that had turned up and had a real go and how well organised a team we are. I couldn't help myself explain about our injury crisis and lack of investment, I was met with surprise and maybe even a bit of animosity towards a regime that wouldn't back a manager of Pearson's experience, desire and proven ability to succeed, what at first struck me as an arrogant comment now seems more honest and knowledgeable "I don't think you'll get a better manager at a club like Bristol City" never more has that comment seemed so true than now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, YorkshireSection said:

He's done a great job with the academy but he should never be able to manage the team but anything to save a penny.

This is a bit of a stretch in my opinion.

The two players of note (Semenyo and Scott) literally fell into our lap, neither player was in the Academy as a youngster, I don’t think Kelly, Bryan or Reid were coached by him either.