IGNORED

Next steps

italian dave

Whether we like it or not, whatever the reasons for getting rid of Nigel, whether they’re still looking to sell, the fact remains that Lansdown is still in charge. So, leaving all that to one side, where next?

Interesting that the club statement this afternoon refers to NP as “manager” but to the club looking for a new “head coach”. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Too gutted to think about it TBH. You draw up a list of available managers and Pearson is top of it. Offer him the job.

He wouldn’t want a job as Head Coach though, would he?

We’ve presumably got a different structure in mind and as others have said quite possibly an individual too?

18 minutes ago, Glen hump said:

Reduce the price and **** the Bristol sport bullshit out of it 

The main trouble is Lansdown is looking to sell the whole lot. Think the asking price is £250m, according to talkshite radio. Not sure if any prospective buyer would want the other parts of Bristol Sport.

Edited by 'Pack' It In
Missed word

1 minute ago, 'Pack' It In said:

The main trouble is Lansdown is looking to sell the whole lot. Think the asking price is £250m, according to talkshite radio. Not sure if any prospective buyer would want the other parts of Bristol Sport.

Exactly my point, he’s made it almost impossible to buy 

48 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

It is so weird, if the club is up for sale you want an experienced manager to guide the ship through choppy waters. Who better?

Yes, fair point. I can’t help wonder though if there’s more to it - his health has been mentioned several times in recent discussions about his future recently. That may have been a factor for all we know, and clearly a risk in terms of those sort of choppy waters too? 

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

Yes, fair point. I can’t help wonder though if there’s more to it - his health has been mentioned several times in recent discussions about his future recently. That may have been a factor for all we know, and clearly a risk in terms of those sort of choppy waters too? 

If it was my club I would mitigate that by offering him a DoF type role and ask him to choose his head coach. Maybe they have already talked about this, maybe Nige likes the coaching, pulling on the boots at training and prowling the touchline.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

If it was my club I would mitigate that by offering him a DoF type role and ask him to choose his head coach. Maybe they have already talked about this, maybe Nige likes the coaching, pulling on the boots at training and prowling the touchline.

Who knows! But I guess that’s also a serious point: none of us (or at least 99.9%) know little or nothing about what’s gone on behind the scenes. 

I just hope it’s been done with a clear and realistic plan in place.

Edited by italian dave

4 hours ago, Champs said:

The fact it has leaked for weeks says that they have something planned- in the past they would always not do any donkey world while someone employed….

What that leak shows us all is that they were hawking around Nige’s job while he was still in office, dealing with a ridiculous injury crisis (all bar one of which were contact injuries) and crucially awaiting a medical diagnosis. The fact is that gives everyone an insight into the Lansdowns and the classless ***** they really are. 

Edited by tin
  • Like 11

12 minutes ago, tin said:

What that leak shows us all is that they were hawking around Nige’s job while he was still in office, dealing with a ridiculous injury crisis (all bar one of which were contact injuries) and crucially awaiting a medical diagnosis. The fact is that gives everyone an insight into the Lansdowns and the classless ***** they really are. 

Yes. Though I suppose it's possibly even worse than you suggest, as Nige himself has also been incapacitated.

4 hours ago, Champs said:

The fact it has leaked for weeks says that they have something planned- in the past they would always not do any donkey world while someone employed….

16 minutes ago, tin said:

When I first read Champs’ post I wasn’t sure whether he was being critical or not. Tin, you’ve clearly interpreted it as critical. 
Problem is, in the past when they didn’t have anyone lined up in these circumstances we’d criticise that too. I can clearly remember that happening.

Its football, that’s how it works, rightly or wrongly. 

7 minutes ago, italian dave said:

When I first read Champs’ post I wasn’t sure whether he was being critical or not. Tin, you’ve clearly interpreted it as critical. 
Problem is, in the past when they didn’t have anyone lined up in these circumstances we’d criticise that too. I can clearly remember that happening.

Its football, that’s how it works, rightly or wrongly. 

No harm in succession planning, Davide. But there’s a big difference between having a list of targets and being ready to try and get them after a manager’s left, and plotting behind someone’s back while they’re incapacitated and awaiting diagnosis for a health issue. That shows no respect, no class. End of.

Edited by tin
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, tin said:

No harm in succession planning, Davide. But there’s a big difference between having a list of targets and being ready to try and get them after a manager’s leaves, and plotting behind someone’s back while they’re incapacitated and awaiting diagnosis for a health issue. That shows no respect, no class. End of.

But we all know there’s little morality in the way the incomings and outgoings of managers (and players for that matter) are dealt with in football. And it’s quite common, as we all know, for new managers to be lined up and ready to go in advance of a sacking being announced.
I’m just struck that in the past Lansdown has been criticised on here for being too ‘gentlemanly’ in the way he’s managed appointments, and now he’s being criticised for the opposite.

I don’t want to start speculating about the health issues. I’ve heard various stories about concerns for several reasons and for a fair period of time, but I don’t know the truth, and none of us do. We don’t know what’s currently known, what the potential diagnoses might be, how co-operative either party has been with the other, or even whether that’s part of the decision or not. Which is kind of the point I’m making - lots and lots goes on in the background and within the club about which we know nothing. 

10 minutes ago, italian dave said:

But we all know there’s little morality in the way the incomings and outgoings of managers (and players for that matter) are dealt with in football. And it’s quite common, as we all know, for new managers to be lined up and ready to go in advance of a sacking being announced.
I’m just struck that in the past Lansdown has been criticised on here for being too ‘gentlemanly’ in the way he’s managed appointments, and now he’s being criticised for the opposite.

I don’t want to start speculating about the health issues. I’ve heard various stories about concerns for several reasons and for a fair period of time, but I don’t know the truth, and none of us do. We don’t know what’s currently known, what the potential diagnoses might be, how co-operative either party has been with the other, or even whether that’s part of the decision or not. Which is kind of the point I’m making - lots and lots goes on in the background and within the club about which we know nothing. 

Let’s be frank, when has SL ever known what he’s doing when it comes to managerial appointments? Very rarely if ever, and I doubt it’s any different now. He wants a lap dog, that’s what he’ll get. SL is the problem and until he goes, nothing will ever change. 

• Flames 1

31 minutes ago, tin said:

Let’s be frank, when has SL ever known what he’s doing when it comes to managerial appointments? Very rarely if ever, and I doubt it’s any different now. He wants a lap dog, that’s what he’ll get. SL is the problem and until he goes, nothing will ever change. 

Mixed, I think is how I’d describe his record!

I know it probably won’t be a popular view on here - especially not today! - but I don’t think the appointments during his tenure are as bad as is sometimes made out. Recognising, of course, that 95% of all managerial appointments anywhere end in tears. But over the sum of their tenures I think both Johnsons, Cotterill, Pearson were all decent appointments, even O’Driscoll - in impossible circumstances - left some good foundations, and although Coppell ended in tears very quickly, the appointment itself was seen almost universally as a great one.

Where I’d be more critical is that too many of the appointments he’s made have come with a complete change of managerial style which has left us with a squad of players whose strengths are nothing like the new man needs and having to adapt throughout the club to a different set up, approach and tactics. 

And that his idea of consistency doesn’t seem to extend beyond an internal appointment - and those I’d agree have been unmitigated disasters. 

We just have to hope, I guess! 

SL has total and utter contempt for the City fans.

He knew for ages that we had had enough of Johnson, and so..   he stays on and on

He knew full well that Nigel had a huge backing from the fans,   so guess what?

He unfairly sacks him. It's a piss take.

The bloke makes me sick to the stomach.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 4
  • Flames 1