IGNORED

Protest Saturday???

formerly known as ivan

2 minutes ago, Atticus said:

I can also recognise an egomaniac narcissist when I see one. And Steve Lansdown is this. He will always inevitably be a detriment to the football club because of his immaturity to handle competent good managers. 

That’s pretty strong stuff.  I suppose anyone who plugs as much money into sport as Steve Lansdown has is bound to have some egotistical characteristics, but a narcissist?  Really?  You thenfollow that up with an accusation of immaturity, which bus a very odd thing to suggest of someone if Lansdown’s age.

As far as I can see, Lansdown’s main failings have been to put too much trust into some individuals, and to be too cautious when a little daring was called for.  However we are a mid table Championship club with more secure finances than some, so it’s hard to see him as ‘inevitably to the detriment of the club’.  Managers come and go, and I’m sure Pearson was savvy enough to know that his position after (by today’s standards) quite a long tenure and little progress in terms of league positions was always likely to be insecure.

Pearson has a record of gaining cult status amongst fans at various clubs, but has fallen out with most owners he’s worked for.  What has happened at City seems pretty much par for the course.

• Flames 1

14 minutes ago, Atticus said:

I can also recognise an egomaniac narcissist when I see one. And Steve Lansdown is this. He will always inevitably be a detriment to the football club because of his immaturity to handle competent good managers. 

Textbook small man syndrome. 

My dad took me to my first game in 2001. I was 4 years old. I've had a season ticket for every season since. I won't be going anymore until the Lansdowns are gone, which utterly breaks my heart. But, I feel that strongly about this 'ownership'. This is no longer Bristol City FC. This is Steve Lansdown FC. He said in that interview in the summer, 'this is my club and I'll do what I want'. Well. Bristol City will be around a lot longer than you Steve, and you certainly won't be getting a single penny further off of me. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

90% of the support don't have the backbone to stay away, or actually care about the effect it would have on Lansdown to hear the vast majority of seats were empty.

And the Lansdownes know it.

At the end of it all you reap what you sow.

And this is the problem. I’ve never seen our fan base protest about anything. The only thing remotely like it was the bed sheets for LJ. 

Other clubs clearly do and sometimes things change as a result. It’d be nice to see some actual response to this rather than our fan base sleep walk to another crap Lansdown managerial appointment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

19 minutes ago, Riaz said:

This is nothing like Cotts.

Cotts was taking us down.

Pearson had us looking up and he was building something.

I’m pissed that they’ve got rid 

??

Difference being that was pur first year in the championship under Cotterill. After he gave us one of our best seasons in recent memory. If not the best. 

The similarities are he was also not backed sufficiently. 

4 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Against the joke of a board and their decision to fire Pearson.

Show Pearson the backing he still had from the fans.

SL had let down Cotts and threw him under the bus and now the same for Pearson. While in between the two, allowed Johnson to run this club into the ground season after season.

Time to force his hand and move this club on to someone capable.

I’m against the decision but there’s no chance I’m protesting and getting behind the team. Fleming and the lads need our support starting Saturday

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

That’s pretty strong stuff.  I suppose anyone who plugs as much money into sport as Steve Lansdown has is bound to have some egotistical characteristics, but a narcissist?  Really?  You thenfollow that up with an accusation of immaturity, which bus a very odd thing to suggest of someone if Lansdown’s age.

As far as I can see, Lansdown’s main failings have been to put too much trust into some individuals, and to be too cautious when a little daring was called for.  However we are a mid table Championship club with more secure finances than some, so it’s hard to see him as ‘inevitably to the detriment of the club’.  Managers come and go, and I’m sure Pearson was savvy enough to know that his position after (by today’s standards) quite a long tenure and little progress in terms of league positions was always likely to be insecure.

Pearson has a record of gaining cult status amongst fans at various clubs, but has fallen out with most owners he’s worked for.  What has happened at City seems pretty much par for the course.

It's strong stuff but it's how I feel.

The evidence is there, and has been for years for me. 

3 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

More than likely, the new man will be in charge by Saturday I reckon. Therefore any chants should be pre game, as the team and new manager need our support during it. 

Our new German manager will be in situ, we'll smash Wednesday 4-0 playing scintillating football and NP will be a distant memory, you heard it here first

5 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

I’m against the decision but there’s no chance I’m protesting and getting behind the team. Fleming and the lads need our support starting Saturday

They aren’t mutually exclusive though are they? Anti-Lansdown protesting and supporting the team can happen on Saturday. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, 1team said:

So your voice doesn't  matter then?.

I won't be protesting no. Lansdown will not sell the club, and he'll appoint who he wants. Protesting will achieve nothing.

I was one of a few, who felt last Xmas Pearson should have been sacked (After West Brom). He won me around and I was annoyed that the club had given him a shoestring budget and not supported him, and were building a nest egg, but I feel, this was because they didn't trust him, or his staff to take us forward. If his departure, means a manager will be brought in, who will be given an increased budget and in 8 weeks time will be able to add to the squad, then providing the new appointment is an established manager then I wont be too disappointed, as clearly Pearson was never going to be given the keys to the nest egg. 

It doesn't matter what the fans think, Lansdown will do as he wants, it's his money and he has put plenty of it, into the club. We're probably not even an attractive club for some rich yank or saudi to buy! Am I happy, no not really, but at the same time, if we get a good appointment and Lansdown lets them spend in January to improve us, then I wont lose any sleep over it either. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, firstdivision said:

When you say he allowed Lee Johnson to run the club into the ground season after season, are you including the seasons we finished 11th, 8th and 12th in the championship, our highest positions for nearly a decade, and some of our highest for 40 years? 

LJ burnt his way through millions in transfer fees and salaries, signed a farcical number of players in a scattergun fashion, failed to reach the playoffs and left the club massively in debt with a bloated squad of overpaid passengers. If we had a decent manager during that period of high spending SL might have got his wish of promotion to the Premier League 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, robinforlife2 said:

I won't be protesting no. Lansdown will not sell the club, and he'll appoint who he wants. Protesting will achieve nothing.

I was one of a few, who felt last Xmas Pearson should have been sacked (After West Brom). He won me around and I was annoyed that the club had given him a shoestring budget and not supported him, and were building a nest egg, but I feel, this was because they didn't trust him, or his staff to take us forward. If his departure, means a manager will be brought in, who will be given an increased budget and in 8 weeks time will be able to add to the squad, then providing the new appointment is an established manager then I wont be too disappointed, as clearly Pearson was never going to be given the keys to the nest egg. 

It doesn't matter what the fans think, Lansdown will do as he wants, it's his money and he has put plenty of it, into the club. We're probably not even an attractive club for some rich yank or saudi to buy! Am I happy, no not really, but at the same time, if we get a good appointment and Lansdown lets them spend in January to improve us, then I wont lose any sleep over it either. 

I think you are making the point a lot of fans on here are: that of being fed up of Lansdown behaving like this and now a line has been crossed. Yes, he will do exactly as you’ve said, but that doesn’t mean we can’t let him know what we think of it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Super said:

Awful idea. Whatever has happened these players need our support they have given as much as they can.

That's me. I generally don't care about Managers, I go to support the players so I am not as upset as some seem to be.

From what I can gather he wasn't as popular with the players as some like to make out, Tinns also didn't like the way he would use and discard young players with little or no feedback as to why. Taylor-Clarke and Araoye for example.

So another man will come in and I will be there to back the players on the pitch, especially the youngsters who really need us.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

5 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Against the joke of a board and their decision to fire Pearson.

Show Pearson the backing he still had from the fans.

SL had let down Cotts and threw him under the bus and now the same for Pearson. While in between the two, allowed Johnson to run this club into the ground season after season.

Time to force his hand and move this club on to someone capable.

I’m sure that you have the best intentions. But with a squad decimated by injuries, and our academy replacements desperately needing our support, lets just roar the lads to 3 points this Saturday.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

You can protest against the board and support the team at the same time surely?

4 minutes ago, One Team said:

Yep, pretty much what I was saying earlier in the thread. 

I get that, but point was more around boycotts and doing stuff during games. For me we’ve got to get behind the players (probably reduced squad as it was the other games over the week)