IGNORED

Unfortunately, He Didn't Stand A Chance!

Tomo

Just now, Tomo said:

In the words from the Mrs - 'He didn't stand a chance'...

The Mrs has endured 20+Years of my obsession with Bristol City. 

I'm 52 now and I have supported the club since 1977 so she's lucky it's not been a 45 year journey for her🤣

In the words of Emma, 'he didn't have no budget, he had lots of players injured, what could he do?'...

'And the majority of fans wanted him to stay'...

She added....'But his employers didn't like Nigel Pearson and that's the bottom line'...

Summary....Lansdown can't handle any manager with a voice and simply wants a nicey chummy manager who will agree to everything he says...

After 20 suffering years, even the Mrs has sussed out the board and how they operate..

Bizarrely...Nige did everything they asked for and still got the boot.

Whilst Nige should be celebrating an extension of his contract, it's a termination of contract, simply down to the Lansdowns lack of football knowledge and connection with its fanbase.

Rant over...from me (and the Mrs🤣)

Tomo

This is what has been on my mind all day. 

Yea Nige can be a little prickly and no doubt in private he has said things that the owners didn't like. However, he just got on with the job, change of plan? No problem he got on with it, lots of injuries? No problem he got on with it, ceo role disappearing? No problem he got on with it etc etc etc. 

He's pretty much the dream manager for an owner. I posted the other week that one of Nigels best abilities is his adaptability. He's adapted to a lot her and just got on with the job. 

• Like 13
  • Flames 2

4 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

I have no respect left for the owners after this. I have none.

In fact, I actually feel it shows what ***** they really are.

I feel really stupid that I stuck up for these idiots in the past.

Yes lansdown actually talking about premier league one day i actually believed him ffs

• Facepalm 1

44 minutes ago, Tomo said:

In the words from the Mrs - 'He Didn't Stand a Chance'...

I'm 52 now and I have supported the club since 1977 so she's lucky it's not been a 45 year journey for her🤣

In the words of Emma, 'he didn't have no budget, he had lots of players injured, what more could he do?'...

She added....'But his employers didn't like Nigel Pearson and that's the bottom line'...

Summary....Lansdown can't handle any manager with a voice and simply wants a nicey chummy manager who will agree to everything he says...

After 20 suffering years, even the Mrs has sussed out the board and how they operate..

Whilst Nige should be celebrating an extension of his contract, it's a termination of contract, simply down to the Lansdowns lack of football knowledge and connection with its fanbase.

Tomo

This is exactly it.

And any other bullshit excuses spouted by the club or anyone on here are exactly that.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

I have no respect left for the owners after this. I have none.

In fact, I actually feel it shows what ***** they really are.

I feel really stupid that I stuck up for these idiots in the past.

I've been running this through my mind all day. 

I too have stuck up for Lansdown in the past. Blew smoke up his ass, up until fairly recently infact. 

I'm wondering if part of all this is that SL doesn't like that Nigel has got all the credit for turning the club around? He doesn't like it that the fans like Nigel more than we like him? 

I'd rather be a poor man than a petulant billionaire like Lansdown.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

This is what has been on my mind all day. 

Yea Nige can be a little prickly and no doubt in private he has said things that the owners didn't like. However, he just got on with the job, change of plan? No problem he got on with it, lots of injuries? No problem he got on with it, ceo role disappearing? No problem he got on with it etc etc etc. 

He's pretty much the dream manager for an owner. I posted the other week that one of Nigels best abilities is his adaptability. He's adapted to a lot her and just got on with the job. 

Yep, just got on with it with the odd little moan, which is fair enough.

Yesterday as a fan I was pleased with how we battled.  But Nige as manager was disappointed, thought we should’ve got something, wasn’t happy with how the goals came about.  He showed how he didn’t want to expose the youngsters in this environment, which has been his mantra all along.  He will happily play them but when it’s right.  And yet some in the heirarchy question him opting to play Andy King.  It’s like he’s never ever played an academy lad.

It just doesn’t add up.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yesterday as a fan I was pleased with how we battled.  But Nige as manager was disappointed, thought we should’ve got something, wasn’t happy with how the goals came about.  He showed how he didn’t want to expose the youngsters in this environment, which has been his mantra all along.  He will happily play them but when it’s right.  And yet some in the heirarchy question him opting to play Andy King.  It’s like he’s never ever played an academy lad.

It just doesn’t add up.

That’s been hung on Tinnion! Christ I hope that’s not true! 

It’s only 7:20 where I am. But I am still fuming. Hadwin better not be a whimp tomorrow!

• Like 1

I always thought it would come to this. We’ll look back at Pearson as having huge significance in helping to steer the club through a complete mess without relegating the club - a scenario which has been the usual outcome over the past 30 years.

What next? Who the **** knows with the track record the owners have of appointing managerial staff. That’s my biggest worry. But whoever it is, they better bring some real inspiration, because if SL gets this wrong he may just lose any good will and legacy that his tenure might have created. Sad to see Nige go for the honesty he told us as fans and owners about a club we love, but often can’t admit, that basically we’ve been a bit of a soft touch and we had to start to change our mindset. I hope the next coach/manager keeps banging this message home along with building on the foundations that NP has obviously started to build. Let’s hope that they come with real ideas instead of a load of fluff which SL and JL have seemed to lap up at times.

People I would like. There aren’t that many. All are a chance. Robins might be good fit at Coventry, doesn’t mean he would be anywhere else. That goes for most managers at our level. Rowett? Ask Millwall, Derby, Stoke fans. Likewise Jones at Stoke, Southampton. I kind of like Eustace and what he seemed to do at Brum. Like Rosenior, Edwards at Luton. Don’t think they would want to move to be honest. Beale (QPR of early last season).

All are much of a muchness. I just hope that they have had some serious football person input to help the board in their decision. Will I boycott the club? No chance, it’s been too much part of my life to ditch over this despite my frustration how this has been handled. SL has tried all sorts of appointments including CEO positions to help. They have all ultimately failed. I think this maybe the last major appointment he’ll make during his tenure. I hope he strikes lucky and finally finds the right fit for him, as well as one who’ll deliver success at last. We shall see indeed...

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

It just doesn’t add up.

You say ‘the odd little moan’, Dave. Don’t you think there were enough digs at the hierarchy to make it pretty clear what he thought? Also, his comments have effectively rallied his supporters in the fan base behind him, and created an us and them situation. Don’t you think he knew what he was doing and couldn’t help himself? No football hierarchy likes being called out in public. Never has, never will. 

I wouldn’t have sacked him, and I think SL made a strategic error by not releasing some funds from the AS sale, but surely no one is particularly surprised that it’s happened. People are angry, yes (not me btw - I just think this is brutal, modern football. My reading is the we reached a clutch moment where we had to make a big decision, contract or no new contract, with planning for the future required, eg January window.) 

The narrative about NP’s seeming clash with the board has come from one person: NP. Not least because the hierarchy has largely been silent (apart, perhaps, from the telling statement that none of the AS money was made available.)

• Like 4

3 hours ago, firstdivision said:

You say ‘the odd little moan’, Dave. Don’t you think there were enough digs at the hierarchy to make it pretty clear what he thought? Also, his comments have effectively rallied his supporters in the fan base behind him, and created an us and them situation. Don’t you think he knew what he was doing and couldn’t help himself? No football hierarchy likes being called out in public. Never has, never will. 

I wouldn’t have sacked him, and I think SL made a strategic error by not releasing some funds from the AS sale, but surely no one is particularly surprised that it’s happened. People are angry, yes (not me btw - I just think this is brutal, modern football. My reading is the we reached a clutch moment where we had to make a big decision, contract or no new contract, with planning for the future required, eg January window.) 

The narrative about NP’s seeming clash with the board has come from one person: NP. Not least because the hierarchy has largely been silent (apart, perhaps, from the telling statement that none of the AS money was made available.)

I don’t know, when Phil Alexander left he pointedly said that the club was in safe hands with Nigel Pearson and Brian Tinnion. 😐

No mention of The Lansdowns

• Like 3

The one thing Nige didnt do was praise Steve, Jon and Maggie at every opportunity and talk about our amazing facilities. This seems to be the main criteria for everyone in a senior role at the club. This sacking has hit me quite hard as in my view Nige was the best manager we have had in the 40 years I have been a supporter. 

• Like 11
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Ryan said:

The one thing Nige didnt do was praise Steve, Jon and Maggie at every opportunity and talk about our amazing facilities. This seems to be the main criteria for everyone in a senior role at the club. This sacking has hit me quite hard as in my view Nige was the best manager we have had in the 40 years I have been a supporter. 

In a nutshell.

15 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Yes, very noticeable when interviewing incoming players. “yes it’s lovely I’m very impressed with the high performance centre and the stadium” 

Bored Rowan Atkinson GIF by Working Title

it’s getting embarrassing  😂

4 hours ago, firstdivision said:

It is not brutal, modern football.Its just an idiot called lansdown who knows absolutely nothing about football.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, firstdivision said:

This went both ways and actually it was Jon Lansdown who started it last season when he called out Nigel as underperforming in a radio interview and said we had a top six squad, to everyone’s bemusement.

Complete and utter delusion from the daddy’s boy, and Steve is the same.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

As a City supporter of 65 years one only ever lives with a small helping of hope and an even lesser one of expectation. Survival and doing OK is the most I have had to live with and occasional flutters of real achievement. Also seeing smaller clubs than us by far sailing into the premiership, having Euro games has been galling to say the least. 

I know this has all been stressed a million times elsewhere but please excuse me..i also need to get it out of my system!!

NP I think has been one of our best managers in all that time and his sacking is one of the worst decisions ever made. At this point in time I realise comparing season on season it appears little or no progress has been made...but I also believe he has got to the point where his vision and plans for the future were becoming clearly established. It takes time to turn around the shocking mess he was given to start with. FFP issues stared us in the face...how much did he save the club financially (JL's job) by avoiding any points penalty n possible relegation as well as improving the clubs image in the football world. What would have been the cost of relegation. We the supporters are grateful...weren't S and JL? 

Since then the football side has moved on...AS, AS ..key players were sold, even so we had a healthy start to this season...but for whatever reason we have got the equivalent of a full first team in the hospital wing whilst the academy has taken over the substitutes bench. It is obvious that with most players back and fit we could again be flirting on the edge of the playoffs and with, dare I say, a couple of good signings...or is that thought open to a charge of treason?

The supporters have been so let down..and before this decision was taken I don't think there has been a greater understanding of and support for a manager, apart from AD, as there is for NP...and all this despite our seeming lack of progress.

So yes, I am feeling hurt, disillusioned...Will I renew...I really am teetering on that one...coming 40 miles each week it has never really made sense...and at this moment seems completely a waste of time, space, energy and money. I've often thought I needed hypnotherapy to help me break the habit...now this crass decision may have saved me that expense!!!!!!!!

It makes no sense and the football world in general will have their views confirmed that City are a dinosaur in footballing management terms...and will be treated as such...

...maybe, just maybe they have managed to create a clone of Pep who is sitting in the wings to be announced today. The list of out of works has their obvious reasons and NONE give me any cause for hope.

Is this my final disillusionment?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

8 hours ago, Tomo said:

In the words from the Mrs - 'He Didn't Stand a Chance'...

In the words of Emma, 'he didn't have no budget, he had lots of players injured, what more could he do?'...

Tomo

I'm glad it now seems that supports of this club is realising what the lansdowns are all about. They can't stand being challenged our being held accountable hence we now have there buddy yes man tinnion effectively running the footballing side 😳

42 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Yes, very noticeable when interviewing incoming players. “yes it’s lovely I’m very impressed with the high performance centre and the stadium” 

Bored Rowan Atkinson GIF by Working Title

it’s getting embarrassing  😂

as a previous poster said (and nailed it)  if he wanted to leave a legacy of bricks and mortar why not build a ******* Hospital - The Lansdowns tenure of this club is one of footballing failure (and I would argue financial failure, given the debts he has encumbered the club with) - SL is a fool to think that football ownership doesn't come with a sustained commitment to spending in order to build for success. unless your strategy is merely survival, which seems pointless.

(or of course he saw the whole thing as a financial strategy, a long game to sell off his 'brand vision' but for that to work "like Barcelona" you need to have a team like....Barcelona!)

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

It just doesn’t add up.

Dave, that bit about the fall out being caused by a row over bringing in free agents, such players would be experienced such that he wouldn't have to "expose the youngsters". What would Nige's objection be? Unless he wanted the free agents and the ****s wouldn't cough up the cash.

5 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Dave, that bit about the fall out being caused by a row over bringing in free agents, such players would be experienced such that he wouldn't have to "expose the youngsters". What would Nige's objection be? Unless he wanted the free agents and the ****s wouldn't cough up the cash.

I thought the wage budget was maxed out?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, headhunter said:

i think previously he'd not wanted to use Free agents as they weren't ultimately part of the bigger plan, i assume the better ones wouldn't play on super short contracts - Take Klose for example - he was good for a handful, but very quickly wasn't ! Simpson another.

That strategy of course contradicts the Lansdowns previously stated 'pillars' bollocks, and they will have forgotten that no doubt.

for better or worse, Pearson was/is a stubborn minded manager, which has runheadlong  into the lansdowns ineptitude at 100 mph on this occasion.

6 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Most free agents would not be fit enough, the Jan transfer window would be here before they would be ready to play championship football imo

7 minutes ago, headhunter said:

The wage budget was at its limit, so sounds like they moved the goalposts again. 

Only Rennie and Nige would know how close Atkinson, Vyner and Naismith are to returning. It would take just as long for those to get fit as it would for any free agent with no pre-season, so what’s the point?

Sounds like bullshit to me, and why wasn’t that cash made available in the summer when the window was open? As is increasingly becoming clear, the Lansdown are clueless *****.

• Like 1