IGNORED

Interesting Outsiders Perspective on the Sacking

zippycar

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The Mick McCarthy comparison is a good one. 

It was, and, as is usually the case with Benjamin Bloom (is that his real name, by the way), well presented.

Being slightly pedantic, however, there was one small detail on which I would pick him up; he mentioned NP's contract extensions.

Unless I am mistaken, NP signed a one off contract that was due to expire at the end of this season - there were no contract extensions as far as I am aware.  

• Like 1

Really knowledgeable about us. 

The Ipswich comparison is worrying.

10 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

It was, and, as is usually the case with Benjamin Bloom (is that his real name, by the way), well presented.

Being slightly pedantic, however, there was one small detail on which I would pick him up; he mentioned NP's contract extensions.

Unless I am mistaken, NP signed a one off contract that was due to expire at the end of this season - there were no contract extensions as far as I am aware.  

I guess he maybe means when he first joined here on a short term contract which was then extended to the 3 year contract? 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

The Mick McCarthy comparison is a good one. 

My best mate is an Ipswich fan and after watching the game this week, and saying we were one of the better teams they’d played (and he’s not one to pull punches on stuff like that: a spade would have very much been a spade were we shit), he said the same comparison when talking about Pearson.

Being based in the north I know several Leeds season ticket holders who said similar in terms of us being one of the better teams they’ve seen at Elland Road (and again: they are not the like to be kind if given the opportunity), so several are surprised we’ve got rid.

It’s funny when opposing team’s fans recognise our gaffer is doing a good job in a tough league but our owners have no such sense of perspective.

Edited by samo II
  • Like 19

44 minutes ago, samo II said:

My best mate is an Ipswich fan and after watching the game this week, and saying we were one of the better teams they’d played (and he’s not one to pull punches on stuff like that: a spade would have very much been a spade were we shit), he said the same comparison when talking about Pearson.

Being based in the north I know several Leeds season ticket holders who said similar in terms of us being one of the better teams they’ve seen at Elland Road (and again: they are not the like to be kind if given the opportunity), so several are surprised we’ve got rid.

It’s funny when opposing team’s fans recognise our gaffer is doing a good job in a tough league but our owners have no such sense of perspective.

Yes just makes it so much more galling. As fans being so powerless and having to put up with these absurd people. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, samo II said:

Friend of a friend who is an Ipswich fan came to the game on Wednesday and said exactly the same.   But we all know it’s not a football related decision. It’s a personal, ego based one.  

• Like 3

• Admin
18 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

On ITV West earlier they reported that NP originally signed a 6 month deal to the end of the season he joined, but within weeks signed an extension to the end of this season 

19 minutes ago, phantom said:

On ITV West earlier they reported that NP originally signed a 6 month deal to the end of the season he joined, but within weeks signed an extension to the end of this season 

Yes, that's about right. Signed in February (2021) on a contract to the end of the season - so probably a bit less than 6 months.

But then signed his three year contract on 29 April 2021.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Yes, that's about right. Signed in February (2021) on a contract to the end of the season - so probably a bit less than 6 months.

But then signed his three year contract on 29 April 2021.

Yes there was that "I ain't leaving" meme/video. From a film with Tom Cruise with Nige's head superimposed on it. I can't find it anywhere

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Hmmm.

Perhaps I should have known better than to doubt the esteemed Benjamin Bloom's deep and extensive knowledge of EFL football and, moreover, should have checked my own facts before questioning his presentation 😉.

In my (weak) defence, I had forgotten NP's original, short term contract whilst he was recovering from COVID and trying to determine whether he was up for the job (he most certainly was).

Incidentally @Davefevs, he was born Benjamin Groom - Yes, I had to look it up. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Hmmm.

Perhaps I should have known better than to doubt the esteemed Benjamin Bloom's deep and extensive knowledge of EFL football and, moreover, should have checked my own facts before questioning his presentation 😉.

In my (weak) defence, I had forgotten NP's original, short term contract whilst he was recovering from COVID and trying to determine whether he was up for the job (he most certainly was).

He's also a professional (albeit part-time) musician .

15 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

He's also a professional (albeit part-time) musician .

I thought initially you were referring to Gareth Ainsworth, but, Yes, as I discovered when I looked him up.

A pianist, singer and songwriter in the former band Rosalita.

I have never heard of them, but quite impressive nevertheless. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Hmmm.

Where did you find that out?  I tried to find his background out recently as I do a quiz slot on his Championship Check-in YouTube channel.  Lord knows how I didn’t stumble across that.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Where did you find that out?  I tried to find his background out recently as I do a quiz slot on his Championship Check-in YouTube channel.  Lord knows how I didn’t stumble across that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Bloom_(musician)#:~:text=Benjamin Bloom (born Benjamin David,does match reviews and podcasts.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Yeah found it when I added Groom to the search.

I had assumed a musical background from his set-up, keyboard in the background, etc.

He has good knowledge of the EFL as does Sam Parkin who is his co-host.  I just ask each of them a  random(ish) trivia question each week based on the previous week’s games.