IGNORED

A more rational thread

Jeez

Just now, GrahamC said:

Interested to know on what basis you have any confidence about the “right appointment”.

Not sure about the subs or tactics point, either.

Pep would struggle with what he’s had available & lack of funds.

None whatsoever - more a case of luck than judgement. 

I sense you’re too dug in to accept there were games where Pearson didn’t get it right.

• Like 6
  • Hmmm 3

29 minutes ago, Jeez said:

None whatsoever - more a case of luck than judgement. 

I sense you’re too dug in to accept there were games where Pearson didn’t get it right.

He wasn’t perfect and occasionally made mistakes, just like anyone else does. But don’t try and kid yourself this decision was made for footballing reasons.

Edited by tin
  • Like 9
  • Flames 1

19 minutes ago, Jeez said:

A lot of the posts over the last 24 hours have got overblown. Hopefully we’ve slept on it & now have a bit more perspective.

well that’s a matter of opinion if people feel strongly enough then it’s not overblown to that individual. 

19 minutes ago, Jeez said:

There’s certainly more to it than we know & my gut is with the right appointment, squad depth & availability this group can kick on

Squad depth, so where’s that magically coming from and why was it not forthcoming for NP, availability of whom, new players? There’s no substance to your suggestion and it could be applied to NP similarly. He might well have “kicked on” with the right backing.

Edited by JP Hampton

1 minute ago, The Bard said:

And calling a thread rational  before anyone else has said anything is asking for it to be massively derailed.

Yep, usually just makes people sound very self important to me because guess what - pretty much everyone thinks they're being rational.

Usually an indicator people struggle to see or accept another point of view in my experience.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Whilst I understand how you are trying to frame your post, what manager doesn’t have games where they don’t get it right? 

Obviously - but many are reacting like we’ve sacked Pep for being 2nd in the prem.

• Flames 1

2 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Yep, usually just makes people sound very self important to me because guess what - pretty much everyone thinks they're being rational.

Usually an indicator people struggle to see or accept another point of view in my experience.

Merge - This is just a view point from someone who wants their voice heard louder and have said nothing that can't be said on the "He's Gone" or many other threads already.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, IAmNick said:

Ok - maybe “Balance” would be a better title

24 minutes ago, Jeez said:

A lot of the posts over the last 24 hours have got overblown. Hopefully we’ve slept on it & now have a bit more perspective.

NP brought a lot of positives but let’s not kid ourselves, he can be difficult, we’ve collectively scratched our heads about subs & tactics and if he can’t manage the owners than he isn’t dynamic enough for this particular club’s needs.

What we don’t know is how NP is received throughout the rest of the club & if he’s as hard to work with as his reputation suggests.

I’m incredibly grateful for what he’s done in clearing out the overpaid disinterested players & instilling the positive work ethic, team spirit. 

It was a brutal sacking given the availability. But football managers are well paid & they know the score. His contract will be honoured until end of the season, we all knew he wasn’t getting a new one, so this is probably makes sense to get the new guy started now before the Jan window opens. Especially if they had already started the process & found the right candidate.

There’s certainly more to it than we know & my gut is with the right appointment, squad depth & availability this group can kick on

Just because someone has a strong view and they’re upset/angry, doesn’t mean they are irrational 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

I have met NP a few times and he is nothing like the press conference prickly character he portrays. He is chatty, pleasant and interesting. 

He is however very "old school" in his methods and this has been useful in sorting out the mess he inherited but not necessarily the way for the club going forward (in their opinion).

Sadly it may have been he was only ever really brought in as a "fire fighter" short/medium term appointment and the plan was always to replace him around this time.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 2

26 minutes ago, Jeez said:

NP brought a lot of positives but let’s not kid ourselves, he can be difficult, we’ve collectively scratched our heads about subs & tactics and if he can’t manage the owners than he isn’t dynamic enough for this particular club’s needs.

What we don’t know is how NP is received throughout the rest of the club & if he’s as hard to work with as his reputation suggests.

I’m incredibly grateful for what he’s done in clearing out the overpaid disinterested players & instilling the positive work ethic, team spirit. 

It was a brutal sacking given the availability. But football managers are well paid & they know the score. His contract will be honoured until end of the season, we all knew he wasn’t getting a new one, so this is probably makes sense to get the new guy started now before the Jan window opens. Especially if they had already started the process & found the right candidate.

Yeah, I’ve slept on it and it’s still a ridiculous decision.

• Like 15
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

Just now, Henry said:

Just because someone has a strong view and they’re upset/angry, doesn’t mean they are irrational 

Didn’t say anyone was.

I get some fans are furious - just felt there needs a more balanced/rational/dust settled conversion.

But seems everyone is raging & not prepared to look at it in the cold light of day.

• Like 1

Appreciate this thread as long as it stays within the boundaries of your title!

as with everything the truth always lies somewhere in the middle and people have to understand that you will never fully know the truth at each end of the spectrum to truly know that middle part

things we know

1. lansdown silence has been poor, to be MIA and only break cover to sack him feels wrong although find me a football club where the upper management is front and centre and you show me a badly run football club

2. Nige is combative - this is well known and at the end of the day this is a business. No matter how disgruntled you are you mouth off publicly against your boss, it’s not ending well. Chances are Pearson knew the situation, but was impatient and concerned for his own employment so went to the press.

3. David Rennie going too. Did the board have concerns on player management from treatment room to management which could have contributed to the injury crisis?

4. Pearson has done a good job with what he’s been given. But aren’t there still other clubs doing more on less? There is no real footballing culture at city, we are determined and dig in but my god, ask yourself - why does every goal we score feel like a forcep delivery of a 15ib baby? Couldn’t someone else maybe do better?

5. Scott money - clubs need to run sustainably, last time we spaffed transfer money we ended up in this position where we have to retain the Scott/semenyo money. Granted that was through letting Ashton loose with the finances and that is on the lansdowns but wouldn’t you rather they learnt from that?

6. this forum presents a microcosm of our fan base, maybe many who identify with nige and feel him hard done by. But don’t think for a moment he is thinking of us, it’s a job. Where was the support for him before? I go home and away and can’t remember hearing a chant for him. This is because he is functional, there is no impetus behind the team because we don’t play in a way that offers that. We are established championship, not underdogs and we need a little more football to believe in and get excited by.

Im curious to see what happens next, what I fear is the lansdowns have got themselves in a position where they can no longer do right for doing wrong and could be hounded out and it will be out of the frying pan into the fire..

• Like 13
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Robin 1

16 minutes ago, Jeez said:

And there in the bold lies the problem in your statement!

Nobody is claiming NP didn’t have any faults.  The point is, when you have a choice between a vastly experienced manager who transforms the amateurish culture of the club, or an egotistical, dictatorial, meddeling, massively flawed and constantly underperforming owner, I think most would choose to keep the former over the latter.

Imho, the sooner the Lansdowns are gone the better for this club, as their incompetance is taking us nowhere.

As for making the right appointment could help this group kick on, can you really see these clowns managing to make the right choice??

• Thanks 2
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Jeez said:

Didn’t say anyone was.

I get some fans are furious - just felt there needs a more balanced/rational/dust settled conversion.

But seems everyone is raging & not prepared to look at it in the cold light of day.

Well in cold light of a new day.... I'm still ******* FUMING!!

Over 60 years man and boy and I can't remember any time when I was more disillusioned, felt let down, and just plain bloody ANGRY!!!!!

IS THAT BALANCED ENOUGH FOR YOU...

• Like 7
  • Hmmm 2
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, Jeez said:

Didn’t say anyone was.

What are you expecting people to say that hasn’t already been said on other threads? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

...people have to understand that you will never fully know the truth at each end of the spectrum to truly know that middle part

...what I fear is the lansdowns have got themselves in a position where they can no longer do right for doing wrong and could be hounded out and it will be out of the frying pan into the fire..

After 20 plus years I think we know quite a lot about the way Steve Lansdown works. And can make an educated guess that what comes next is unlikely to be part of a coherent strategy that builds solid foundations for a push up the league. Let's not have 'hounded out' - if he sells up now he will go with a modicum of dignity - thus far the crowd has never turned on him or the boy.

Edited by Red Exile
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zuni said:

I have met NP a few times and he is nothing like the press conference prickly character he portrays. He is chatty, pleasant and interesting. 

He is however very "old school" in his methods and this has been useful in sorting out the mess he inherited but not necessarily the way for the club going forward (in their opinion).

Sadly it may have been he was only ever really brought in as a "fire fighter" short/medium term appointment and the plan was always to replace him around this time.

I have met Nigel Pearson a few times. I have had the opportunity to watch the XI, the U23's/21's and its academy train. I have also had the opportunity to talk about the clubs methods with Nigel Pearson as I have with Lee Johnson, and BCFC back room staff.

What are Nigel Pearson's old school methods? His tactics? His training? What model are you referring to that the club has going forward? 

• Flames 4

4 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Calling this "rational" is setting yourself up to be shot down. You're suggesting that everyone's been irrational in their reaction - which seems unlikely, given the clear strength of feeling. Do you rate yourself above all others? 

Ok fair enough poor choice of words. 

mods - change “Rational” to “Balanced” not intending to wind anyone up on here just creating a channel discuss.

37 minutes ago, Jeez said:

The early sacking of the Lansdowns latest choice of manager is an admission that they didnt get it right this time either, so how on earth can anyone hope they will next time. Prev to NP their choices of managers sealed NP`s fate who was brought in just to steady the ship, which he did with little to no support from SL.

There can be no doubt the next manager will have a transfer pot if he is any good, if its BT however he wont as he will be happy to carry on with the build,sell and build again policy, which as we all know gets us no-where.

Patronising post.

Almost as patronising as the way Lansdown has treated the fans.

Tha reactions are wholly justified. When a good man is treated unfairly and unjustly, right-minded people will speak out, with emotion,  considered arguments, evidence and facts.

If we weren't emotional, we'd be as bad as the Lansdowns.

We're emotional because we love our club and care about it. The Lansdowns don't have that deep-rooted, heartfelt connection.

Edited by Bazooka Joe
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 4
  • Robin 1

1 minute ago, BrizzleRed said:

can you really see these clowns managing to make the right choice??

So did they make the wrong choice in appointing Nigel? 

I'm not sure what the right choice of Manager is. If a Manager doesn't get us promoted then presumably it's always the wrong choice?

@Jeez I agree with much you say . I think NP is rightfully credited with changing work ethic etc and I have no doubt in my mind that he also got the players playing for the shirt and despite some poor results they never stopped fighting.

The amount of people who are now crediting Nige as having been responsible for clearing up the financial mess overlooks the fact that Richard Gould was behind this and Nige would often publicly state that he was not part of contractual matters and questions regarding this should be asked of others.

• Like 8
  • Flames 1

The rational side is ownership not convinced NP could take us up. Harsh to say he wasn’t going to do that this year though as it was never on the cards once Scott left. However, I agree that I don’t think NP was the answer for promotion. 

Now you look at it. He did his job. Kept us safe and help build a core of good young pros who are fit and work for the team. Now someone fresh can come in and add their bit of flair to the side. Add some of the magic we are missing. Of course this will probably be mostly next summer so bit strange to get rid now.

We will see what backing someone new gets. I doubt we’ll see the MA and LJ spending again. It will be interesting then to see what funds will be released.

Not gutted he left. The football has been dreadful. So excited to see change but felt too soon. Should have let him see our most the season but again he didn’t seem keen

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 2