IGNORED

Sky Sports Article

Olé

Perfectly well written, albeit subjective, article but it doesn’t tell us anything new. It’s a rehash of everything that’s on here.  And few people outside Bristol give a flying fig about our club so it’s not exactly taking our dirty laundry to a national audience. I speak as someone who lives in London.

More interesting is James Piercy’s piece about the last weeks of the messiah. 

• Sad 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 1

36 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Probably one head in the Channel Islands and one in Bermuda very soon.

Couldn't make it up really - absent and silent owner, absent and silent Chairman (from a two man board), no ceo, no manager, no head of medical dept in the midst of an injury crisis, and a support base who largely has disdain for the owner and chairman. 

Not good and a bit of a shitshow really and thanks to Ron for putting it out there.

I was actually thinking of a more anatomical rather than geographical place. 😄

36 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Probably one head in the Channel Islands and one in Bermuda very soon.

Couldn't make it up really - absent and silent owner, absent and silent Chairman (from a two man board), no ceo, no manager, no head of medical dept in the midst of an injury crisis, and a support base who largely has disdain for the owner and chairman. 

Not good and a bit of a shitshow really and thanks to Ron for putting it out there.

I was actually thinking of a more anatomical rather than geographical place. 😄

8 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

Perfectly well written, albeit subjective, article but it doesn’t tell us anything new. It’s a rehash of everything that’s on here.  And few people outside Bristol give a flying fig about our club so it’s not exactly taking our dirty laundry to a national audience. I speak as someone who lives in London.

More interesting is James Piercy’s piece about the last weeks of the messiah. 

For those of us who don’t know, could you enlighten us as to where the article you refer to may be found?

Despite all that SL has done for Bristol City, this really underlines why we won't be going anywhere with them in charge. There appears to be a lot of meddling going on behind the scenes and whilst he knows an awful lot about finances, he hasn't learned anything from the constant mistakes he's made about hiring the right people to run this football club.

Gould and Pearson.

That pair with a bit more financial backing would habe taken us and continued to take us forward IMO.

Now as well as Scott (inevitable), Gould (moved onto bigger things arguably), we have for reasons best known to ourselves lost a manager doing a perfectly good job, by sacking him and prior to that starving him of funds and have no CEO worthy of the name.

Fans Forum as and when will be very interesting?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CyderInACan said:

Can't see that being much fun. It'll just be the new gaffer and captain & how they want to "move on" from the past. 

If there even is one. 

Would hope for tough questions, not fun but interesting.

Well yes, if there is one. One hasn't been announced yet and...this would be the latest since 2020 minimum . 

4 hours ago, Olé said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12996039/nigel-pearson-sacked-by-bristol-city-results-far-from-only-issue-behind-veteran-bosses-departure

Absolutely sensational stuff for the owner and boy wonder who have spent so much of their time to trying to manage our media positioning, now getting their arses handed to them by the national media.

"A clue as to City's reluctance came from Steve Lansdown in another interview over the summer when he admitted he had "not always seen eye-to-eye" with Pearson in the role, adding "He's got his views, we've got ours". "

I always thought that this was a very curious and telling comment. Lansdown stopping short of saying "he's got his views, I've got mine", instead making it plain that everyone in his orbit says the same thing and dare not hold a view other than that of their leader. It's reminiscent of the North Korean government or indeed, any other dictatorship.

Steve is a multi-billionaire who has spent around £20m each season managing our debt. I'm sure that we're all grateful for that, however ... to put his wealth into context, if on 01/01/1066, just before the Norman Conquest, £1000 had been put into a box and every single day thereafter up to the present day, another £1000 had been added, in that box right now would be almost £350m - about one-third of a £billion. His estimated wealth of some £2.4 billion is truly enormous wealth. To Steve, £20m is chickenfeed. The money he paid out for the rebuild of AG is, for him, small change.

Running our football club has been, for Steve,  a real-life computer game - a rich man's SimCity. He's added new realms - rugby, basketball, golf, game reserves etc which are all fun and immersive but it's the original football version that frustrates him because he's never been able to play it well enough to complete. He's now trying all sorts of random strategies in the hope that he'll succeed but the problem is, he never will so, like a moody teenager, he's now rebooting and starting again. Admit defeat, Steve and sell to someone else who knows what they're doing. For you, it's a hobby; for us, it's a much bigger part of our lives. We're actually part of the 'kin game you're mis-controlling.

• Like 4
  • Flames 12

3 hours ago, MarcusX said:

"The perennially restless Robins looked like they finally had a patient blueprint for long-term, financially prudent growth at their fingertips. It had the fans on board, but not the people whose approval matters most."

This is the point for me. Finally felt like we had a long-term plan and progress was being made, albeit slowly and we were doing so with an experienced man at the helm.

From a fans perspective, the plan was going to plan, despite the plan changing in the summer. 

We were all invested in what Pearson was doing. We could see what he was doing and the work that had gone into getting us to this point. 

The squad was finally his and it felt as if we were just around the corner from making some big steps forward. 

And then the plan just gets completely ripped up. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Olé said:

It's an absolutely exceptional analysis that deserves to be the defining write up of the current ownership. It's so perfectly written and so exceptionally damning (without ever being unfair or nasty) that I don't think there is another paragraph to be written to their story. It's time for them to go, they're all out of reboots and flip flopping on strategy to suit their egos. We have heard it all before, and it's such a herculean effort for you to have capture in one piece the various prior shades of the emperors new clothes and the uncertainty it creates for us all going forward.

Very well said Rob and thanks for posting the article it’s superb.

@Ron W thank you for airing publicly  on a key news platform how we are all feeling. The Gould point is a good one. When he, NP and Tinnion did that fans forum in the pub it felt we were finally getting somewhere. 

I think we’ve all (well a huge majority I would guess) hand enough of this now. The sale can’t come soon enough. Maybe this is NP’s legacy; not just the young players he’s made part of the first team, but exposing the charlatans to all. 

Edited by One Team
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

Outstanding article; really excellent.

And I think it’ll be even more interesting when that graph of the wage bill fills out to cover 22/23 and this season (barring a huge spend in Jan under someone new).

I’d wager the Pearson Era then looks even more impressive if you then marry it with the average points per season graph (and why not throw in an games-played-per-player average over the top too; imagine that dipped with all the young guns); the contrast of what Pearson wrung out of what meagre resources he was gifted in a league where cash really is king most if the time will, I bet, be stark.

Yes; we were not the greatest show on earth, but most fans could see the progression, and understand that building something in a league where sides are still fed by the mega riches of the Prem via their parachute payments wasn’t going to mean instant success and might take steady not sudden progress.

I literally pity whoever comes in next; they are either going to be a yes man who is just here to bank some coin, or they are on a hiding to absolutely nothing, because unless the scenario utterly shifts, they simply can’t be expected to achieve what is asked.

As such I can’t believe anyone of sufficient quality to achieve this batshit idea of being promotion candidates this season will be interested.

But, all told; great article @Ron W - hope it gets a lot of clicks because as embarrassing as it might be for us, it’s pinpoint accurate in every way.

• Like 5