IGNORED

Supporters Club & Trust Statement: Nigel Pearson

shahanshahan

Remember when we used to look at ‘owners’ of other clubs and how badly they treated fans? Well we are slap bang where the likes of Blackpool etc were with arrogant owners who clearly see no need to justify their actions. 

Think I’ll go watch some non league where my attendance may be genuinely valued.

• Like 3

I've often been openly critical on here in regards to the SC&T but credit where it's due that is a great statement and set of questions

I think now we can all see how the cowards work and how difficult it must be to have constructive (or any) dialogue with them

Keep up the pressure on our behalf I think you may get a lot more support now people realise who you are trying to deal with

Absolute deluded coward's the lot of them

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

29 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

Brian Tinnion in danger of coming across as a bit of a snake here - which I'd like to think isn't the case, given he's a bit of a hero of mine, but the optics aren't amazing.

Am I missing something here? As far as I know our "board" consists of captain crayola and some other bloke. 

So they have declined to speak but that's not got anything to do with Tinnion, who judging by his reply would have no issues going on.

Just to add, fully support the SC&T statement. 

Edited by Spud21
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, shahanshahan said:

https://www.bristolcitysupporters.org/statement-nigel-pearson/

The Supporters Club & Trust don’t usually comment on managerial changes as we don’t have enough knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes and because it is a subject that usually divides opinion like no other. However, on this occasion the SC&T board, and it seems the vast majority of the fanbase, are agreed that sacking Nigel Pearson appears to be an incredibly harsh decision, whether or not it was based, as the club statement and quote from Jon Lansdown suggest, purely on football results. 

Never before have we had a manager who has been so fundamentally instrumental in positively changing the mentality, the culture, and the togetherness of the whole football club across men’s and women’s football. And Nigel did this while operating under huge financial constraints. His intervention to ensure that the end-of-season awards dinner was inclusive of supporter-led awards was evidence of his unifying influence at our club. As was the cultural leadership Pearson embodied in relation to the recognition and respect for the women’s game.

So, the sacking of Nigel Pearson begs many questions for us.

What is the real reason? It is clearly not just about recent results. We’ve had worse runs. We have a huge number of injuries and are giving academy players debuts most weeks. Winning football matches in a very competitive Championship is difficult, even with a full squad.

Are we clearing the decks for new investors to come in? A wholesale clear out of a CEO and manager might suggest that.

Is Nigel Pearson too outspoken? He has been transparent about his feelings and just maybe this has finally broken an already strained relationship with the owners.

Questions like these arise when there is a lack of meaningful engagement and transparent communication from the custodians of our football club. There were times in the past when Steve Lansdown in particular would be visible, approachable, and responsive, whether that be behind the scenes, in media interviews, or even doing Q&As in the backrooms of pubs on away days. However, since the departure of Richard Gould, such communication has been sadly lacking.

We therefore again ask the club executives and owners for more transparency and improved supporter engagement going forwards, starting with greater clarity and context around the reason for Nigel Pearson’s sacking.

We thank Nigel, Jason Euell & Dave Rennie for their contribution to the Club, and wish Curtis Fleming, Ali Hines & Kalifa Cisse every success in this interim period.

Good statement and definitely the right questions. Thank you

• Flames 1

28 minutes ago, Henry said:

Arrogant smug ****. 

Basically just doesn’t want to.

More likely he’s been told not to go on. This is all about control by the owners and letting Tinnion answer questions even slightly candidly is not what they would want right now. Damage limitation supposedly but not coming out and talking to the fans directly might suggest they actually realise how unpopular this decision has been.

Edited by Dr Balls
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Ziderarmy said:

Tinnion would have been told he can’t talk. Let’s be real, the Lansdowns weren’t going to let a fans favourite talk to the fans incase he let something slip. 

Be worth someone on Twitter asking Brian if he is taking part and if not why? 

It's all about the spin. They can only control that if it's the media team (aka damage limitation incorporated) asking the questions.

2 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

The Supporters Club & Trust don’t usually comment on managerial changes as we don’t have enough knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes and because it is a s

What is the real reason? It is clearly not just about recent results. We’ve had worse runs. We have a huge number of injuries and are giving academy players debuts most weeks. Winning football matches in a very competitive Championship is difficult, even with a full squad.

Are we clearing the decks for new investors to come in? A wholesale clear out of a CEO and manager might suggest that.

Is Nigel Pearson too outspoken? He has been transparent about his feelings and just maybe this has finally broken an already strained relationship with the owners.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment of the statement and understand its more trying to convey the fans feelings but as you alluded to in your statement, there will be much more to this and this is very unlikely to be made public

You can't really expect to answer those questions, in effect the 1st question has said you are lying so tell us the truth, the 2nd question about investors is likely to be confidential until an announcement can be made and 3rd asking about personnel relationships. Not sure if this could have damaged closer links

I am gutted Nige has gone as he is very much a fans manager, it would seem that this has been on the cards for a while, at a guess around the Scott transfer or before. Just hope the new appointment can galvanise the fans behind him as its not his fault what has gone on.

1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

More likely he’s been told not to go on. This is all about control by the owners and letting Tinnion answer questions even slightly candidly is not what they would want right now. Damage limitation supposedly but not coming out and talking to the fans directly might suggest they actually realise how unpopular this decision has been.

I agree. Just there was no need to reply to a fan like that. 

He’s got into bed with the Lansdown so he needs to deal with the fall out now.

• Like 2

• Admin
2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

@thatcham red @Blagdon red @Blagdon Mike @Dollymarie @shahanshahan and the rest of the board (who's usernames I don't know).

To everyone else reading this who is feeling angry, disillusioned or annoyed. Well if you're wondering how you can try and change things then one option is to join the SC&T and add to its weight.

and me 👋👋

SC&T meeting this Wednesday night. 

@shahanshahan has already shared details of how to attend 

2 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

No, other board members are due to attend. @phantom can confirm, but I believe it’s online, as opposed to in person. 

It's myself SC&T Chair Stuart Rogers, fellow board member James Nicholls. 

Due to us all taking time out of our working days it's done via Teams, which is pretty standard in business nowadays too. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

He needs to sell now I become a member of the supporters club and trust a few months back just had a feeling I needed to be part of it..It does have the signs of a sale to me and if i'm honest I hope it happens because we need a fresh approach and fresh ideas moving forward, The clubs gone stale to the core.

2 hours ago, Andrew_V1 said:

Remember when we used to look at ‘owners’ of other clubs and how badly they treated fans? Well we are slap bang where the likes of Blackpool etc were with arrogant owners who clearly see no need to justify their actions. 

Think I’ll go watch some non league where my attendance may be genuinely valued.

I'm afraid eventually absolute power corrupts absolutely !

11 minutes ago, phantom said:

and me 👋👋

SC&T meeting this Wednesday night. 

@shahanshahan has already shared details of how to attend 

It's myself SC&T Chair Stuart Rogers, fellow board member James Nicholls. 

Due to us all taking time out of our working days it's done via Teams, which is pretty standard in business nowadays too. 

Didn't realise you were on the board now mate, apologies.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, phantom said:

Only officially since last months meeting.

Ironically it was scheduled to be announced  this morning, but for obvious reasons it's been postponed :laugh:

Well congratulations. However the failure of the SC&T to front up and make this announcement is a shocking insult to the fans. I'm done.

• Robin 1

1 hour ago, Henry said:

I agree. Just there was no need to reply to a fan like that. 

He’s got into bed with the Lansdown so he needs to deal with the fall out now.

I’m really struggling to understand all the Tins hate that is emerging across the forum. 

Done incredible things with the youth set up and scouting and clearly loves the club. 

I’ve seen accusations he’s a snake. Someone calling him a ‘grass’ because of stuff that ex players who badly let the club down in the early 2000s have supposedly said since retiring. Criticism that he reacted to someone on Twitter saying he lacked bollox - as if anyone wouldn’t react to that. 

What have I missed here about Tins? Is it literally just he works for the Lansdowns? He’s doing a great job so surely deserves chance to advance his career without necessarily being ‘a yes man’ or ‘in SLs pocket’. 

I loved Nige as the face of our club.  I’m absolutely gutted he’s gone. I have been a Steve Lansdown supporter and am gutted at this behaviour and the fact that all those who have been calling him an arrogant dictator are slowly being proved correct (although I still think there are obvious great things he’s done for this club).
But I cannot for life of me understand the ire being directed at Tinnion when he seems to be someone doing his job well, who has completely revolutionised our approach to youth progression, and always comes across as so passionate about the club. Even if him and NP didn’t see eye to eye, that alone doesn’t make Tins the baddie here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, the1stknowle said:

I’m really struggling to understand all the Tins hate that is emerging across the forum. 

Done incredible things with the youth set up and scouting and clearly loves the club. 

I’ve seen accusations he’s a snake. Someone calling him a ‘grass’ because of stuff that ex players who badly let the club down in the early 2000s have supposedly said since retiring. Criticism that he reacted to someone on Twitter saying he lacked bollox - as if anyone wouldn’t react to that. 

What have I missed here about Tins? Is it literally just he works for the Lansdowns? He’s doing a great job so surely deserves chance to advance his career without necessarily being ‘a yes man’ or ‘in SLs pocket’. 

I loved Nige as the face of our club.  I’m absolutely gutted he’s gone. I have been a Steve Lansdown supporter and am gutted at this behaviour and the fact that all those who have been calling him an arrogant dictator are slowly being proved correct (although I still think there are obvious great things he’s done for this club).
But I cannot for life of me understand the ire being directed at Tinnion when he seems to be someone doing his job well, who has completely revolutionised our approach to youth progression, and always comes across as so passionate about the club. Even if him and NP didn’t see eye to eye, that alone doesn’t make Tins the baddie here. 

In short.. You've obviously missed what has been happening in the past few weeks 

5 hours ago, The Journalist said:

I've been openly critical of the SC&T - as a few of you well know(!) - but this is a good statement. Well done.

FWIW, while I do understand where @Henry is coming from and it's exactly the sort of thing I've been critical of, given we can't control what's gone before let's not go down that road here. Now's the time to stick together.

This is exactly the sort of thing the SC&T should be talking about publicly and banging down doors about, so fair play to all involved. Spot on. 👍

(Hope you've sent it to all the local press and one of you is making yourself available for interviews, starting with an appearance on SOTC tonight!)

Are you a member of the SC&T? 

Until I realised that Lansdown has absolute power and so the SC&T is just a talking shop - and I mean no offence to the SC&T, who are incredibly nice people with nothing but meaning the best for BCFC - I was an enthusiastic member.

But if you have an issue with what they do, maybe you should become more involved.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

The Supporters Club & Trust don’t usually comment on managerial changes as we don’t have enough knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes and because it is a subject that usually divides opinion like no other. However, on this occasion the SC&T board, and it seems the vast majority of the fanbase, are agreed that sacking Nigel Pearson appears to be an incredibly harsh decision, whether or not it was based, as the club statement and quote from Jon Lansdown suggest, purely on football results. 

Never before have we had a manager who has been so fundamentally instrumental in positively changing the mentality, the culture, and the togetherness of the whole football club across men’s and women’s football. And Nigel did this while operating under huge financial constraints. His intervention to ensure that the end-of-season awards dinner was inclusive of supporter-led awards was evidence of his unifying influence at our club. As was the cultural leadership Pearson embodied in relation to the recognition and respect for the women’s game.

Questions like these arise when there is a lack of meaningful engagement and transparent communication from the custodians of our football club. There were times in the past when Steve Lansdown in particular would be visible, approachable, and responsive, whether that be behind the scenes, in media interviews, or even doing Q&As in the backrooms of pubs on away days. However, since the departure of Richard Gould, such communication has been sadly lacking.

We therefore again ask the club executives and owners for more transparency and improved supporter engagement going forwards, starting with greater clarity and context around the reason for Nigel Pearson’s sacking.

We thank Nigel, Jason Euell & Dave Rennie for their contribution to the Club, and wish Curtis Fleming, Ali Hines & Kalifa Cisse every success in this interim period.

Excuse my ignorance. 

Does this (or any) statement get a reply/response? If so- is this published? 

Why is this statement released now, when there’s been a clear lack of comms from anyone in any power for the past 6-18 months? 

Does the SLO @JerrySLO have any form of communication with you/the club- if so, has he not been in a position to feedback to his bosses the severe lack of confidence in the board from the fan base (surely a key part of his role to be the bridge between the customer and the staff) 

1 hour ago, the1stknowle said:

Clearly.

In fairness, no one’s actually said what Tins has done. A couple of posters who tend to know things have suggested he’s had a say - and now most people are taking it as fact.

At least that’s what I’ve seen, there’s a lot of posts and highly active threads and it’s difficult to keep up but I’ve seen the posts that insinuated it was Tins and that he may have had a say (and the comment about Kings selection? Though I haven’t seen where that originated from)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

Excuse my ignorance. 

Does this (or any) statement get a reply/response? If so- is this published? 

Why is this statement released now, when there’s been a clear lack of comms from anyone in any power for the past 6-18 months? 

Does the SLO @JerrySLO have any form of communication with you/the club- if so, has he not been in a position to feedback to his bosses the severe lack of confidence in the board from the fan base (surely a key part of his role to be the bridge between the customer and the staff) 

Gould, and NP communicated pretty well tbh. IMO anyway.

Once Gould went, NP was the public face..now he's gone and there is no CEO it's all a bit of shambles really.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, NickJ said:

Are you a member of the SC&T? 

Until I realised that Lansdown has absolute power and so the SC&T is just a talking shop - and I mean no offence to the SC&T, who are incredibly nice people with nothing but meaning the best for BCFC - I was an enthusiastic member.

But if you have an issue with what they do, maybe you should become more involved.

It's a completely fair question, @NickJ. It's something I've spoken to a couple of people at the SC&T about.

I've offered to help on the communication side of things if wanted because I know that's an area I could add something, but also my family and working circumstances (and the fact I very rarely get to see us play live anymore) mean I can't really be involved as heavily as I'd like to be as it stands. I'd feel a fraud if I tried to actively stick my oar in because I couldn't dedicate the time it merits. And, while I've been critical, that doesn't mean I don't appreciate how hard they all work on a voluntary basis!

So yeah, hopefully in the future I can get stuck in (if welcome) - I'd love to help properly. I completely appreciate there's nothing worse than someone standing on the sidelines criticising but then not doing their bit. But also, as I've said before, I'm always on DM if I can ever help with messaging and communicating (although this statement is bob on, so not sure how much help is needed!).

(Sorry to everyone else if this comes over all self-important, just answering the question!)

• Like 3