IGNORED

Supporters Club & Trust Statement: Nigel Pearson

shahanshahan

3 minutes ago, Henry said:

Talk about jumping on bandwagon and after the horse has bolted etc.

You could have been more challenging months ago when it was clear was happening and there was zero comms from the club.

People were asking for the club/SL to speak last week and there wasn't any response, even from the SLO. People who queried their absence were met with glib answers on here "he doesn't have to speak to us" "Why should he speak to us?" 

I know there was a meeting planned but some people couldn't attend, was that for something else?

9 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

https://www.bristolcitysupporters.org/statement-nigel-pearson/

The Supporters Club & Trust don’t usually comment on managerial changes as we don’t have enough knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes and because it is a subject that usually divides opinion like no other. However, on this occasion the SC&T board, and it seems the vast majority of the fanbase, are agreed that sacking Nigel Pearson appears to be an incredibly harsh decision, whether or not it was based, as the club statement and quote from Jon Lansdown suggest, purely on football results. 

Never before have we had a manager who has been so fundamentally instrumental in positively changing the mentality, the culture, and the togetherness of the whole football club across men’s and women’s football. And Nigel did this while operating under huge financial constraints. His intervention to ensure that the end-of-season awards dinner was inclusive of supporter-led awards was evidence of his unifying influence at our club. As was the cultural leadership Pearson embodied in relation to the recognition and respect for the women’s game.

So, the sacking of Nigel Pearson begs many questions for us.

What is the real reason? It is clearly not just about recent results. We’ve had worse runs. We have a huge number of injuries and are giving academy players debuts most weeks. Winning football matches in a very competitive Championship is difficult, even with a full squad.

Are we clearing the decks for new investors to come in? A wholesale clear out of a CEO and manager might suggest that.

Is Nigel Pearson too outspoken? He has been transparent about his feelings and just maybe this has finally broken an already strained relationship with the owners.

Questions like these arise when there is a lack of meaningful engagement and transparent communication from the custodians of our football club. There were times in the past when Steve Lansdown in particular would be visible, approachable, and responsive, whether that be behind the scenes, in media interviews, or even doing Q&As in the backrooms of pubs on away days. However, since the departure of Richard Gould, such communication has been sadly lacking.

We therefore again ask the club executives and owners for more transparency and improved supporter engagement going forwards, starting with greater clarity and context around the reason for Nigel Pearson’s sacking.

We thank Nigel, Jason Euell & Dave Rennie for their contribution to the Club, and wish Curtis Fleming, Ali Hines & Kalifa Cisse every success in this interim period.

Well done. Exactly the sort of thing they really really don't like though. Planet Lansdown will be in lockdown for a while now. 

2 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I know there was a meeting planned but some people couldn't attend, was that for something else?

A 3rd Take That gig in the summer? 

• Like 1

@thatcham red @Blagdon red @Blagdon Mike @Dollymarie @shahanshahan and the rest of the board (who's usernames I don't know).

Well done, a good statement and let's keep asking the questions and pushing them for better governance, communications, systems and procedures.

You're also absolutely right to highlight how Lansdown used to be open, but has increasingly battened down the hatches in recent years.

To everyone else reading this who is feeling angry, disillusioned or annoyed. Well if you're wondering how you can try and change things then one option is to join the SC&T and add to its weight.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

People were asking for the club/SL to speak last week and there wasn't any response, even from the SLO. People who queried their absence were met with glib answers on here "he doesn't have to speak to us" "Why should he speak to us?" 

Meeting was rearranged for tomorrow. We’re waiting to hear if it’s going ahead. Was cancelled after Phil Alexander left, and tomorrow is the earliest date it could be rearranged for, due to annual leave. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Henry said:

Talk about jumping on bandwagon and after the horse has bolted etc.

You could have been more challenging months ago when it was clear was happening and there was zero comms from the club.

Do you seriously think doing that would’ve made any difference to the decision that was made yesterday?

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

I've been openly critical of the SC&T - as a few of you well know(!) - but this is a good statement. Well done.

FWIW, while I do understand where @Henry is coming from and it's exactly the sort of thing I've been critical of, given we can't control what's gone before let's not go down that road here. Now's the time to stick together.

This is exactly the sort of thing the SC&T should be talking about publicly and banging down doors about, so fair play to all involved. Spot on. 👍

(Hope you've sent it to all the local press and one of you is making yourself available for interviews, starting with an appearance on SOTC tonight!)

Edited by The Journalist
  • Like 10

18 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

https://www.bristolcitysupporters.org/statement-nigel-pearson/

The Supporters Club & Trust don’t usually comment on managerial changes as we don’t have enough knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes and because it is a subject that usually divides opinion like no other. However, on this occasion the SC&T board, and it seems the vast majority of the fanbase, are agreed that sacking Nigel Pearson appears to be an incredibly harsh decision, whether or not it was based, as the club statement and quote from Jon Lansdown suggest, purely on football results. 

Never before have we had a manager who has been so fundamentally instrumental in positively changing the mentality, the culture, and the togetherness of the whole football club across men’s and women’s football. And Nigel did this while operating under huge financial constraints. His intervention to ensure that the end-of-season awards dinner was inclusive of supporter-led awards was evidence of his unifying influence at our club. As was the cultural leadership Pearson embodied in relation to the recognition and respect for the women’s game.

So, the sacking of Nigel Pearson begs many questions for us.

What is the real reason? It is clearly not just about recent results. We’ve had worse runs. We have a huge number of injuries and are giving academy players debuts most weeks. Winning football matches in a very competitive Championship is difficult, even with a full squad.

Are we clearing the decks for new investors to come in? A wholesale clear out of a CEO and manager might suggest that.

Is Nigel Pearson too outspoken? He has been transparent about his feelings and just maybe this has finally broken an already strained relationship with the owners.

Questions like these arise when there is a lack of meaningful engagement and transparent communication from the custodians of our football club. There were times in the past when Steve Lansdown in particular would be visible, approachable, and responsive, whether that be behind the scenes, in media interviews, or even doing Q&As in the backrooms of pubs on away days. However, since the departure of Richard Gould, such communication has been sadly lacking.

We therefore again ask the club executives and owners for more transparency and improved supporter engagement going forwards, starting with greater clarity and context around the reason for Nigel Pearson’s sacking.

We thank Nigel, Jason Euell & Dave Rennie for their contribution to the Club, and wish Curtis Fleming, Ali Hines & Kalifa Cisse every success in this interim period.

Good statement. Well done!

But too little, too late to save Nige P. You should have challenged what has been going on over the last couple of years a long time ago. It is a shambolic football club. Needs a new owner asap as this club is going backwards after this. I have a family member with good links into the club, and it is well known amongst employees who have to work under a continuous threat of “if you speak publicly, you are out the door”. 

Shambolic way to treat Nigel Pearson.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Do you seriously think doing that would’ve made any difference to the decision that was made yesterday?

The same amount it would do, or less? 

I don’t expect the Lansdown to suddenly change tact because of the trust. My point is, the statement, however good, why not and not before?

Just now, The Journalist said:

Brian Tinnion in danger of coming across as a bit of a snake here - which I'd like to think isn't the case, given he's a bit of a hero of mine, but the optics aren't amazing.

Had that feeling since Pearson mentioned something about being questioned about King. Only adding to that over last couple of days.

3 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

Brian Tinnion in danger of coming across as a bit of a snake here - which I'd like to think isn't the case, given he's a bit of a hero of mine, but the optics aren't amazing.

You can omit the “bit of” now.

• Like 5