IGNORED

Investment

bristol red

15 minutes ago, Coombsy said:

He own a formula 2 team not sure what he calls them

Is it under the Pula Sport umbrella?

The Lansdowns own loads of other companies such as those related to the Botswana safari stuff, multiple property/land holding companies etc. 

My chart is intended to only encompass the companies under Pula Sport, and therefore those that are directly related to BCFC and Bristol Sport. I'm basically trying to set out what the "Bristol Sport Group" is. 

If I've missed a racing team then I'd love to know about it - but there's no mention of it on the Bristol Sport website and Google isn't helping either.

17 hours ago, bristol red said:

I guess that will include the sporting quarter if it goes ahead? Bit of a strange one… not gonna get a whole out sale on that.. too much uncertainty and will never run as a profitable or breakeven business. Uncertain times ahead. Realistically need to get BCFC into the premiership to stand a chance of a sale and based on recent decisions got no chance whatsoever.

I’d say that includes the land and planning application which is owned by Bristol sport 

17 hours ago, pongo88 said:

I’m afraid that SL seems to want to recover a large percentage of the money he’s invested. Unfortunately things aren’t like that. No matter how much I spend on my house, if I decide to sell, the amount I get will be the market value of the house and no more. The market valuation of loss making Bristol Sport can’t be want SL is asking. (Assuming the figures quoted are accurate and, less be honest, nobody really knows for sure) 

But if you have plenty of money it’s like buying houses to rent out yes you might rent em all but then again you might fail ,planning for 600 homes included in that 200 m deal - 600 rentals return I nice sum , maybe a full hotel weekly return a nice profit along with a basketball arena/full concert arena bringing in money stick On top football mens and women plus rugby and out door summer concerts and biggest indoor seminar hall in south Of England then maybe 200mill to a Rich consortium ain’t a lot 

4 hours ago, Dolman Block B said:

Thats change to a Saudi billionaire 

It is, although.

Not all of them, Sheffield United are owned by a Saudi Prince and he too is trying to offload, not investing much etc.

More widely, if from the same inner circle of the Royal Family, may find a problem with dual ownership rules etc from a football angle.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

So West Brom are reportedly about to be sold for £60m. Presumably a little bit of cash is also going to settle the loans that are outstanding. But that is football club + the Hawthorns.

But it's another marker in the sand for current market valuations of Championship football clubs.

If it's still £200m for all of Bristol Sport then the logic is that Bristol Sport, the Bears (including Bears women), and the Flyers is worth about £125m (generously valuing BCFC Holdings at £75m).

Insane by any measure.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, johnbytheriver said:

How come Delia can bring in an American investor at Norwich? Why can't we do a similar thing?

See @ExiledAjax ‘s answer above.

If West Brom (bigger club, far better history) are £60m, who is buying us (smaller club, plus loads of loss making minority interest sports) for £200m?

I reckon we are stuck with JL for the long haul.

• Sad 1
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

If West Brom (bigger club, far better history) are £60m, who is buying us (smaller club, plus loads of loss making minority interest sports) for £200m?

Plus other things.

Any investor putting in millions of pounds will want some degree of control over the asset they are buying in to. They will want a seat on the board of directors for themselves or one of their representatives. They will want a list of things over which they have a veto. They may want certain other rights and privileges.

Delia may have been willing to grant those bonuses and privileges, whilst Steve isn't.

@Ghost Rider jokes about sticky toffee puddings but that is actually not a bad analogy for the "sweeteners" that investors are looking for.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I am not suggesting a takeover just a mega-rich investor with an interest in football to help share the financial  burden.

2 minutes ago, johnbytheriver said:

I am not suggesting a takeover just a mega-rich investor with an interest in football to help share the financial  burden.

So for £60m you can buy WBA, or for the same investment take a 30% share in BS and sit back and share the pain with JL.. sounds compelling..

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, johnbytheriver said:

Then read the thread.

SL clearly isn’t prepared to do that, so it is either a complete sale or nothing.

2 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

As discussed in another topic, at the q&a recently JL said they were looking for an investor who had expertise that would benefit Bristol Sport and that the Lansdowns aren't going to "walk away" so some of the discussion on here appears to be wide of the mark.

But if that investment is being sought based on a valuation of £200m for the Pula/Bristol Sport group, then as @FNQ says you're asking someone to spend £60m for just 30%.

Why would anyone agree to that deal when they can go and buy all of West Brom (or any number of other clubs) for that same price?

7 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

As discussed in another topic, at the q&a recently JL said they were looking for an investor who had expertise that would benefit Bristol Sport and that the Lansdowns aren't going to "walk away" so some of the discussion on here appears to be wide of the mark.

Well if JL said so…

Any new investor who would truly benefit Bristol Sport needs to be a majority shareholder or it’ll just be more of the same.

16 minutes ago, johnbytheriver said:

Regarding Norwich it looks like, from reports, that Attanasio initially bought 16% of Norwich for $11.5m in September 2022.

That's about $700,000 for each 1% of the club, and so values Norwich at roughly $70m.

So again, it's more evidence that our owner is simply delusional in his overvaluation of our club and it's wider group.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

But if that investment is being sought based on a valuation of £200m for the Pula/Bristol Sport group, then as @FNQ says you're asking someone to spend £60m for just 30%.

Why would anyone agree to that deal when they can go and buy all of West Brom (or any number of other clubs) for that same price?

Where has the 200m figure come from, it was quoted as 140m not that long ago, which also seems to be a figure suddenly quoted as facts

Where have the Lansdowns ever stated what they want to sell for or are the figures just used to beat them with?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Then read the thread.

SL clearly isn’t prepared to do that, so it is either a complete sale or nothing.

I can’t see anyone in their right mind paying £200m for BS, nor should they be expected to in the current market. So that leaves us with nothing, and the prospect of the Lansdowns bumbling on for another decade is so depressing. If BCFC was up for sale, however, surely a deal would be done. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Where has the 200m figure come from, it was quoted as 140m not that long ago, which also seems to be a figure suddenly quoted as facts

Where have the Lansdowns ever stated what they want to sell for or are the figures just used to beat them with?

Honestly even £100m for all of BS is too much imo. Even that would be giving the rugby, basketball, and other small companies a value of £30m - £40m. 

• Like 2

So, in summary, it might be an outright sale, or an investment to share the load, or nothing, at a price no-one really knows? Sounds like the perfect scenario for a OTIB thread!

Isn’t there someone on here with a penchant for investigative reporting? Who could pose as a potential investor, get themselves into discussions or negotiations with the Lansdowns, and then report back. A sort of OTIB Dispatches? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Regarding Norwich it looks like, from reports, that Attanasio initially bought 16% of Norwich for $11.5m in September 2022.

That's about $700,000 for each 1% of the club, and so values Norwich at roughly $70m.

So again, it's more evidence that our owner is simply delusional in his overvaluation of our club and it's wider group.

You really have to question what SL actually wants here.  

Using West Brom and Norwich’s valuations as a comparison, surely SL putting £200 mill on Bristol Sport is like putting a crazily high F-off valuation on a player you desperately want to keep.

He has to be seriously delusional to believe he’ll get any takers at that price, so  really can’t see what he’s playing at.  If he IS that delusional, it will certainly explain some of the baffling decisions he’s made during his ownership of the club and also why we’re going nowhere fast.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

You really have to question what SL actually wants here.  

Using West Brom and Norwich’s valuations as a comparison, surely SL putting £200 mill on Bristol Sport is like putting a crazily high F-off valuation on a player you desperately want to keep.

He has to be seriously delusional to believe he’ll get any takers at that price, so  really can’t see what he’s playing at.  If he IS that delusional, it will certainly explain some of the baffling decisions he’s made during his ownership of the club and also why we’re going nowhere fast.

Where has the 200m figure you are quoting for SL to be delusional come from?

• Like 1