IGNORED

Frank Lampard

BCFC1512

2 minutes ago, Riaz said:

No actually i do like him.

But people get blinded by playing careers.

Great player. Good character.

Forget that though. Judge him, on his career as a manager/head coach. Because thats what he'll be coming to do.

And there isnt anything to suggest he'll be a success.

This is EXACTLY the type of appointment i dread and we need to avoid.

I personally don't want Lampard either. 

He brings too much focus. For the wrong reasons. 

The media focus on him and not the Club. 

He'd be looking at a club like us to get back into football and a stepping stone. 

Who wants to hear 'Frank Lampards Bristol City' every time. 

The cynic in me thinks he's the ideal appointment if SL wants attention to make a sale.

As for his coaching style...this is a good summary. Coaching wise he could fit. 

https://www.coachesvoice.com/cv/frank-lampard-chelsea-derby-coach/#:~:text=Playing style,Azpilicueta was at right-back.

1 minute ago, Spike said:

Sorry but I'm fed up of this rhetoric, I won't back Lampard and I don't think any fan who thinks he's incapable of the job should either. 

"it's not Lampard fault"... No it's not, but if he's got an ounce of common sense he would look into the club, what's happened and understand that is the job he's accepting, one where the fans already had a manager they wanted and the board took him away, the same board that would be appointing him to do as they say. 

I've spent years and years backing the new man because I believed that board were looking out for the best interests of the club, by sacking Pearson because they had an issue with him they showed that their own feelings matter more than what's best for the club and the fans. Cheering on an inferior replacement isn't going to achieve anything other than to show the board they can do as they please and the fans will do exactly what the board want them to do. 

If ever the board has had to get an appointment spot on perfect, it's now and Lampard would be nothing more than a PR stunt that will ultimately backfire. 

As said elsewhere football management is supply and demand, with supply of managers being much greater than available posts. Managers will take jobs at clubs in varying degrees of distress / mis management because that’s what they have to do.

So whoever it is (and I don’t want Lampard at all) they’ll get my support, as ultimately not wanting the team to succeed because of the owners is cutting off your nose to spite your face, imho.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Fuber said:

He made a net profit of £800k that season, and the only player he signed for a fee was Riyad Mahrez.

Go look at his net spend during the entire duration of his second spell in charge. 

I’ll save you the trouble. Transfermarkt so not 100% but gives you an idea. Does it in Euros and exchange rate different then. 

11/12 season - Spent 12-15m. Sold 1-2m

12/13 season - Spent 5-6m. Sold 1-2m

13/14 season - Spent 500k Sold about 1m

So a bit of a myth he performed miracles there isn’t it? Keep in mind was 10-12 years ago when the record fees were for Ronaldo’s and Bales well under 100m quid. He got LJ level backing and it took 3 seasons. Like most “winners” he needed money to be successful. 

1 minute ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

As we’re actively trying to sell the club- this is where it potentially makes sense. 

Maybe initially, but we hire Lampard and end up at the bottom half of the table as I think we would, how does that help convince a buyer? Now they have a crap manager instead of a solid one with fan backing and probably a hefty fee to pay to get rid of him.

3 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Go look at his net spend during the entire duration of his second spell in charge. 

I’ll save you the trouble. Transfermarkt so not 100% but gives you an idea. Does it in Euros and exchange rate different then. 

11/12 season - Spent 12-15m. Sold 1-2m

12/13 season - Spent 5-6m. Sold 1-2m

13/14 season - Spent 500k Sold about 1m

So a bit of a myth he performed miracles there isn’t it? Keep in mind was 10-12 years ago when the record fees were for Ronaldo’s and Bales well under 100m quid. He got LJ level backing and it took 3 seasons. Like most “winners” he needed money to be successful. 

Good post that joe👍

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

Maybe initially, but we hire Lampard and end up at the bottom half of the table as I think we would, how does that help convince a buyer? Now they have a crap manager instead of a solid one with fan backing and probably a hefty fee to pay to get rid of him.

At our current form pearson was taking us down though? I liked pearson but its its getting out of hand now, anyone would think hes our fergie 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Didn't Mourinho win the Premier league and Pep the Champions League after those decisions ?

Again, this is my point. You can do this cherry picking of things they got right and wrong to even the most successful managers. 

If the criterion is 'won stuff' then that is different conversation, but not the point I was responding to.

Edited by the1stknowle

12 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

Really? Lampard? Did average at Derby with millions to spend. Went nowhere with Chelsea (although admittedly that also happened to someone like Potter who I do regard highly, but this was after that unhinged American came in whereas lampard had Roman) and then scraped by with Everton who are a complete mess so it's hard to judge. 

Zero confidence he has any tactical awareness. One of the worst performances I've ever seen was his Everton side getting taken to the cleaners at Spurs a few years back.

Exactly!

What lunatic goes away to a spurs side that includes Kane and Son, and plays a high line with a defence that includes the likes of Keane, holgate, Coleman and Kenny??

Everyone could see what would happen there…. and it did!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

As said elsewhere football management is supply and demand, with supply of managers being much greater than available posts. Managers will take jobs at clubs in varying degrees of distress / mis management because that’s what they have to do.

So whoever it is (and I don’t want Lampard at all) they’ll get my support, as ultimately not wanting the team to succeed because of the owners is cutting off your nose to spite your face, imho.

And you're entitled to your opinion but I think the more you suport the boards bad decisions the more you have to accept them. If we just keep getting behind managers every time the board make a mistake, if we keep going to games and doing exactly what JL wants and cheering on the team despite the board ******* them up then we're just as much to blame as the board themselves. 

If Frank comes in I'll vote with my wallet and my voice, by not supplying the club with either until they make the decision I'm willing to back, that's my choice and if that means I'm seen as less of a supporter or fan, so be it, at least I won't be singing along to the tune of Jon Lansdown and his merry bunch of clowns who can't accept that maybe, just maybe, the footballing experienced members of their employees may know more than them about football. 

I'm done supporting JL, to me Lampard is the man you bring in to get eyes on the club, not to do what's best for it. 

3 hours ago, One Team said:

To be fair to @robinforlife2 here that’s a heck of a lot of detail on the subject for it to be a complete fabrication. We shall see of course but that does sound it’s got something to it. 

Just because someone goes into detail doesn’t mean it’s true. Anyone can write a story about being a millionaire next week! It is not going to happen.  

21 minutes ago, Spike said:

I think if Lampard is appointed it just reaffirms that the Lansdowns and the board are ******* morons. The only positive of Lampard is that it will get eyes on the club, the problem is when we're at the bottom of the league that won't be positive eyes on the club. 

My brother is an Everton supporter, he hates Lampard and I can understand why having watched so many games under Lampard with him. He's tactically inept, awful interviews that only seem to piss fans off and is another manager living off of his connections as a player.

I honestly think Lampard for us will be the same as what's happening at Birmingham right now, Eustace had them playing to a strategy, the team understood it, they were happy playing it, they'd just won back to back games and he gets sacked, the big player name Rooney comes in and now they've lost 3 on the bounce. I can honestly e the same happening to us under Lampard, loads of hype, the board showing off their 'big name' to replace Nigel, only for them to realise he's a crap manager, even if he is the yes man they want. 

If it happens to can guarantee the return at Birmingham will be a live game!

One of the biggest fallacies is that a great player makes a great coach.  I suspect SL holds that belief hence the flirtation with Gerrard and he likes a name regardless of quality - David James being the obvious one when he was past it.

Some of the best football coaches are those who retired young and took their coaching badges early - McKenna being a prime example.  This generally applies to all sports although tennis with the likes of Lendl provides an exception for various reasons as the coaches are primarily focusing on mindset and small tweaks for the grand slams as the players will have their technique honed already.  

There was always this thing about Frank Lampard having a colossally high Einstein-esque IQ and perhaps he has, but it just doesn't transfer to football coaching skills.  If SL and co are intent on going down the head coach route then they just need to pick an inspiring young coach in the McKenna mould.   If they want slightly proven then the likes of John Mousinho should be a target but then again he'd need a lot of persuading to move from Portsmouth.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, johnheadbcfc said:

At our current form pearson was taking us down though? I liked pearson but its its getting out of hand now, anyone would think hes our fergie 

Form changes and what do you expect our form to be like with half of the squad out injured? 

The points per season had gone up every season Pearson was here, he fixed our finances, he United our fan base and he wasn't a shill for the board, that's why the backlash is so high, he had the clubs best interest at heart, not the chairman's. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, johnheadbcfc said:

Whats crazy is the fact that some of our fans think we are too good for lampard😂

Newsflash this isn't a big club. One day I pray we will be

No one thinks we are too good for Lampard. It's more that Lampard isn't right for us.

• Like 1

Lampard didn't fail at Derby, took them to the playoff final in his first season. He wasn't ready to manage Chelsea it came too soon and Everton is a basket case anyway

I keep thinking though when Nige was appointed he was never mentioned once on OTIB despite the usual ITK posters saying a deal was imminent with candidate X/y/z

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

Form changes and what do you expect our form to be like with half of the squad out injured? 

The points per season had gone up every season Pearson was here, he fixed our finances, he United our fan base and he wasn't a shill for the board, that's why the backlash is so high, he had the clubs best interest at heart, not the chairman's. 

Pearson fixed the clubs finances. 😂

1 minute ago, Winston said:

Exactly!

What lunatic goes away to a spurs side that includes Kane and Son, and plays a high line with a defence that includes the likes of Keane, holgate, Coleman and Kenny??

Everyone could see what would happen there…. and it did!

I was at the game (my cousins are spurs season ticket holders) and I vaguely recall a 4-1-4-1 formation? I think he thought Delph or someone like that could track Kane dropping into the hole. Whatever his plan was, as you say, it was totally ripped apart and we could have seen a cricket score. Kane dropped deep, son exposed the high line. Game over.

Just now, Spike said:

How do you know he had the clubs best interests at heart, were you walking the mendips with him, for all we know he wanted a shiny new pre retirement contract to see him out (like everyone would )

Form changes yeah whos to say the next manager form won't change for the better. Ou may be better off binning city and supporting pearsons next team if he doesn't retire due to health.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, johnheadbcfc said:

Whats crazy is the fact that some of our fans think we are too good for lampard😂

Newsflash this isn't a big club. One day I pray we will be

What's crazy is that some fans think having a big name as a player is just as good as having a big name for managing football clubs when it comes to appointing managers. 

Are we bigger than Frank, no, more people will know Frank Lampard than Bristol City, that's a fair statement. However, take Lampards achievements and statistics as a manager, then apply a generic name that noone knows, then put that CV on the table and see if he gets a second look... 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

One of the biggest fallacies is that a great player makes a great coach.  I suspect SL holds that belief hence the flirtation with Gerrard and he likes a name regardless of quality - David James being the obvious one when he was past it.

Some of the best football coaches are those who retired young and took their coaching badges early - McKenna being a prime example.  This generally applies to all sports although tennis with the likes of Lendl provides an exception for various reasons as the coaches are primarily focusing on mindset and small tweaks for the grand slams as the players will have their technique honed already.  

There was always this thing about Frank Lampard having a colossally high Einstein-esque IQ and perhaps he has, but it just doesn't transfer to football coaching skills.  If SL and co are intent on going down the head coach route then they just need to pick an inspiring young coach in the McKenna mould.   If they want slightly proven then the likes of John Mousinho should be a target but then again he'd need a lot of persuading to move from Portsmouth.  

Lampard is well spoken and had a GCSE in Latin. Go around any office and you will find many people far sharper than Frank. He seems like a nice bloke but he is not exactly a PhD brainbox.

2 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Lampard didn't fail at Derby, took them to the playoff final in his first season. He wasn't ready to manage Chelsea it came too soon and Everton is a basket case anyway

I keep thinking though when Nige was appointed he was never mentioned once on OTIB despite the usual ITK posters saying a deal was imminent with candidate X/y/z

10 men Bristol City v Derby 27th April 2019

Two play off chasing teams but in reality there was only one 'team'. The other, almost a year into Lampard's management, were just a collection of individuals

1 minute ago, UncleRed said:

Pearson fixed the clubs finances. 😂

I mean add the laughing emoji but he worked within a tiny budget, he made no big signings, was forced to sell a key asset at the worst time possible and wasn't allowed to spend to replace. The man literally kept us competitive whilst being given nothing to work with, almost every fan with any knowledge of our time under him and an ounce of common sence will accept that. 

• Like 4