IGNORED

For the record

Jerseybean

15 minutes ago, chinapig said:

14. We learned that the Lansdowns and Tinnion were too cowardly to be interviewed on Radio Bristol.

And 15.

Even a clearly edited, soft questions in house produced video showed them to be inarticulate, weak & unable to provide a clear narrative as to why the decision was made.

It appears to officially be that some of our players got injured & so we lost our last two games.

However you are bloody naive if you believe that.

• Like 14

Add that Semenyo and Scott were sold for big bucks.  Got high earners Jay DiSilva, Dan Bentley and Tomas Kalas off the books and gave reduced contracts to a few others and failed to invest in the squad.  Sacked the manager when he could not fight at the top with a threadbare and injury ravaged squad and had to play with kids.

The truth my friends is that NP spoke his mind and said that the way that the board were behaving was not in line with his ambition for the team and the board decided that they didn't have the same ambition, sacked him and will appoint a yes man to manage the team.  Reminds me very much of the way that The Kremlin is run at the moment.

Edited by wendyredredrobin
  • Like 11
  • Flames 2

Semenyo was probably required for FFP to a degree. We don't get luck falling into our lap like £10m sell-on for Bellingham and I guess by association, his brother was partially brought due to association.

We don't get likely questionable insurance payouts for sadly deceased players- Cardiff. That helped them.

We don't really get these lucky breaks fall our way. They'll have cut costs too but we have it seems to do it the hard way, we don't get favours or sell ons of that level, dunno why the insurer settled with Cardiff.

Some clubs got insurance payouts of a couple to few million due to Covid..not us. They clearly took our broader policies however.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

Updated version…..

Thought it would be useful, for future reference, to make a note of what has been revealed or confirmed by the key decision makers at BCFC, since Nigel Pearson was sacked.

Please feel free to suggest any additional info.

1. City fans are passionate and will continue to support the team (JL)
  2. We currently have a squad deemed capable of winning promotion/ being at the top end of the league (JL/BT)
  3. We (the Board) know (apparently for the first time) what they want from our new Head Coach which will include playing in a particular way (see next point)  (JL/BT)
  4. We (the Board) know our style of football, throughout all teams, we will play progressively, on the front foot, pressing, attacking,  showing aggression and pace (JL/ BT)
  5. The Board have entrusted Brian Tinnion as technical director to lead/advise on footballing matters (implied)
  6. The Board opted to sack an experienced manager, citing recent results as the reason (at the time we occupied 15th place with 18 points 5 wins, 6 defeats and 3 draws) our form pre the sacking was lost 4, won 2 (JL)
  7. The majority of fans were pro Nigel Pearson with 80% (683) wanting him to be given a two year contract extension just a few days before he was sacked, https://www.otib.co.uk/topic/222365-poll-does-pearson-deserve-a-24-month-contract-extension/page/3/#comment-4704118
  8. The majority who posted on OTIB were outraged by how he was treated (https://www.otib.co.uk/topic/222465-he’s-gone/#comments)
  9. An OTIB poll indicated that 90% of respondents thought it was not right to sack NP, 66% want SL to sell up, 80% did not trust the Board to make good decisions in the club’s best interests and 70% (500 respondents) thought City were a top half Championship side, with less than 1% (4 people) believing they were capable of promotion
  10. Everyone was very happy with our summer recruitment (BT)
  11. Recruitment will be easier now as we have a style of play and we will seek players who fit that (BT)
  12. We are in a really good place as a Club and it is set up nicely for somebody to take forward (BT)
  13. Unusually the Supporters Club and Trust issued a statement, which included asking the club executives and owners for more transparency and improved supporter engagement going forwards, starting with greater clarity and context around the reason for Nigel Pearson’s sacking.
  14. They (the hierarchy) refused an invitation to speak on Sound of the City and instead prepared two short, carefully scripted, in-house videos (as per below) and were still unable to provide a clear narrative as to why the decision was made.

References:

BT: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/video/interviews/update-from-brian-tinnion/

JL: https://t.co/eiD0x1xmyc

Supporters Club and Trust statement: https://www.bristolcitysupporters.org/statement-nigel-pearson/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I agree with this assessment and think it would be useful to pin for future reference. I wonder if there is also something about the commitment to youth development. I worry that the board will be so desperate for a quick return they may put pressure on a manager to try to loan our way to success. Even though that goes against a commitment to bring young players through. 

10 hours ago, GrahamC said:

And 15.

Even a clearly edited, soft questions in house produced video showed them to be inarticulate, weak & unable to provide a clear narrative as to why the decision was made.

It appears to officially be that some of our players got injured & so we lost our last two games.

However you are bloody naive if you believe that.

Got to say Graham you have been absolutely bang on regarding everything to do with this subject with some excellent posts. 👍👏

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Capman said:

I agree with this assessment and think it would be useful to pin for future reference. I wonder if there is also something about the commitment to youth development. I worry that the board will be so desperate for a quick return they may put pressure on a manager to try to loan our way to success. Even though that goes against a commitment to bring young players through. 

I haven’t heard anything to suggest that, but you maybe right, trying to ensure the record is based on what’s actually been said, BT did say the new HC will continue to blood academy players (or something like that) 

41 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Can we now include the fact NP’s sacking has proved that it is a myth that Steve Lansdown is a very patient owner. He’s only patient if your name is Lee Johnson. 

Wasn't Pearson the 2nd longest serving Manager in the Division ?

• Like 2

This is excellent and will be an important source of reference if we fail on the footballing front, so we can see if accountability (tinnion) has taken place. 

I still find it outrageous that we have decided on how the club will play despite not having a head coach. 

Just complete and utter arrogance by those that have decided this on the teams behalf. 

Edited by Atticus
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

What happened to our famous pillars? Just asking

Famous Pillocks? They are sat at Ashton Gate finalising their "road to the Premier League" plan.

This is a good post, would be nice to display this for Lansdown at the end of the season when every future statement they have made is proved false. 

• Like 2

Fantastic summary of events. 

To me it's clear, reading between the lines, that the board wanted NP out but the timing was an issue. When to sack him was their problem. We know from Nige's own words he was having some health issues and needed a back operation. If the board were to sack him after that they'd look totally heartless. Was Tinnion aware that some key players were due back from injury this week? A match day squad bolstered by some returning players would have been likely to win the next two games therefore you couldn't justify sacking Nige after that. They pulled the trigger now by gambling on a negative reaction from losing the David Brent and Cardiff matches. 

The board probably expected a stronger reaction to those two defeats however, the bulk of the support saw a team ravaged by injury but still trying and with a bit of a fair wind could have got something from at least one of those games. 

Because of the issue of when to fire Nige, the board may well have had their defined plan on a way forward but would have had no real idea on who would be available to take over. 

They've made just about as big a total bollocks up of it as its possible to do. 

• Like 8
  • Flames 5

16 hours ago, Atticus said:

I still find it outrageous that we have decided on how the club will play despite not having a head coach. 

Just complete and utter arrogance by those that have decided this on the teams behalf. 

This is because it is what other clubs do/have done. We are copying, or trying to copy, what others have done successfully previously, always a few steps behind.

We have nothing original going on here - like, say, Brentford with their approach; or Brighton; or Swansea a few years back - just pale imitation. Nothing original other than the Bristol Sport umbrella/group thing, which doesn't appear to have helped City to any great degree, and nobody else in football as far as I can think have so far chosen to copy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

This is because it is what other clubs do/have done. We are copying, or trying to copy, what others have done successfully previously, always a few steps behind.

We have nothing original going on here - like, say, Brentford with their approach; or Brighton; or Swansea a few years back - just pale imitation. Nothing original other than the Bristol Sport umbrella/group thing, which doesn't appear to have helped City to any great degree, and nobody else in football as far as I can think have so far chosen to copy.

And SL looks at the end result, not how the other clubs got there.

Why can’t we be the trendsetters that others copy.  Because we don’t have the skilled leaders across the “club”.  We did have that with Nige.

In some respects we had that with Cotts - a playing system that he saw in his travels abroad and brought to City - the high wingbacks, the progressive side-centre-backs.  Wilder gets huge credit for this with Sheffield Utd, but it was an evolvement of what Cotts did.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

And SL looks at the end result, not how the other clubs got there.

Why can’t we be the trendsetters that others copy.  Because we don’t have the skilled leaders across the “club”.  We did have that with Nige.

In some respects we had that with Cotts - a playing system that he saw in his travels abroad and brought to City - the high wingbacks, the progressive side-centre-backs.  Wilder gets huge credit for this with Sheffield Utd, but it was an evolvement of what Cotts did.

Not sure I agree on NP re-playing style and tactics.

NP had strengths for sure but they were more off of the training ground - IMO.

On SC you are spot on though.

Players to fit a very effective system (once he settled on it), lacked a plan B when it was counter acted with better players in the Championship. 

I can see what they mean when they state we lack an "identity" but am yet to be convinced they have worked out how to solve it.

Edited by Zuni

42 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

If Steve listened to more Billy Bragg, he would know "you can borrow ideas but you can't borrow sutuations".

🎵 I don't want to change the world
I'm not looking for a new manager
I'm just looking for another yes man 🎵

Edited by chinapig

Having watch Brian Tinnon's video several times I have come to the following conclusions: -

1) "What is best / we want AS A FOOTBALL CLUB" = What Steve and Jon want

2) All teams will play the same way and young players will move up to the 1st team when required.

3) Spending money on players isn't sustainable - SL has invested in the academy and infrastructure (rather than spend vast amounts continuously in the transfer market and expects to see the return on that investment). Therefore, the academy is where the new "Head Coach" will be told to get new players from as they will have been trained to slot straight into Championship level football and understand their job

4) The new "Head Coach" will be expected to do exactly as they are told by SL / JL. They will need to be involved in training, play attacking football, utilise whatever resources they are "told" to utilise, without question, or face dismissal.

5) The new "Head Coach" will have to accept opinions from others who hold high positions within the club regarding team selection. Any inference as to who should and shouldn't be playing should actually be taken as a "firm directive".

6) Regardless of injuries, financial constraints, experience of regular Championship football, level of development, age etc. the team MUST be challenging in the top six or the "Head Coach" will be scapegoated for failure and dismissed.

7) The "Head Coach" must not have a strong personality or consider any instruction by the board to imply as "advisory" or they will be dismissed.

8). Supporters, sorry, CUSTOMERS must get behind whatever decisions the club makes as SL/JL are OWNERS, not CUSTODIANS of the Bristol Sport Group of which Bristol City FC is just one entity and tenant of a multi-purpose event stadium.

9) SL/JL or any other member of the club will not just front a response every time some of the customers may feel upset about any club decision.

10). As Brian Tinnion stated (and has been said many times before). This will be about sustainability, not a bottomless pit of cash, it's where we are, it's where we are going in the future, so shut the **** up and live with it!

Edited by Gert Mare
  • Like 1