IGNORED

The Nigel Pearson Stand

Ivorguy

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Another thread containing posts saying either something along the lines:

- be careful what you wish for and / or (re SL)

- someone might’ve done better (re Nige)

to frame their agenda with no consideration that:

- it’s possible to have a better owner too

- it’s possible to have done worse too

It’s a very blinkered view.

Yeah but come on Dave, look at the topic your posting in. The OP is seriously suggesting that it would be a good idea to name a stand in Nige's name. I didn't want him to leave for all the well discussed aforementioned reasons. However, I do think some posters need to move on as the club is much bigger than him or SL.

I think the 'someone might’ve done better' posts are an automatic response from posters against the waves of overly melodramatic posts basically repeating the same criticism in numerous topics.

I simply see it as one extreme battling against the other extreme. The truth probably falls somewhere in the middle.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Street red said:

And if it wasn't for Nigel Pearson and Gould the club would be in a very s*** position.

Could you not, if you wanted to which I’m sure you don’t, make exactly the same point about Steve Lansdown (underwriting massive losses each year to keep us in championship) and Brian Tinnion (establishing the pathway that has allowed us to sell £35m of youth product in last few years). 

I am not especially happy with the club right now. But there is some very convenient cherry picking of heroes and villains going on on this forum. Alongside some wild catastrophizing of the situation we are in. 

• Like 5
  • Flames 2

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

To be fair Dave it’s just the other side of the coin to those who want SL out for any new owner which is just as a blinkered view!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

It occurs to me that SL is vulnerable to attacks on his ego.

How about unofficially renaming The Lansdown Stand The Nigel Pearson Stand;  and when new owners arrive lobby for the unofficial name to be made official.

There are at least 2 managers I'd name a stand after before Peason.

Alan Dicks, Terry Cooper.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 1

31 minutes ago, grifty said:

To be fair Dave it’s just the other side of the coin to those who want SL out for any new owner which is just as a blinkered view!

While we’re being fair, lets look at it this way.  

If you’ve got a shit, underperforming manager or head coach, it’s perfectly reasonable to reach a point when you want them out.  What’s the difference when it’s a shit, underperforming owner?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Ciderhead433 said:

...AND we're still waiting for the club to announce what their memory\tribute to Terry Cooper will be?

I suppose in the words of Wally, these things take time!

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Just because you don't agree with it doesn't make it blinkered

1 hour ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I still call it the Williams Stand.

Whilst I obviously appreciate the money he put in to rebuild the stadium, I thought it would’ve shown real class to keep the names of the stands as they were before 2015. 
Ashton Gate has been our home for over century, it wouldn’t kill anyone to have some visible sign of that on the outside of the stadium or in the seating (Atyeo Stand aside).

Still, it’s his toy, he’s going to do whatever he wants with it.

What happened to the "Wedlock Stand" ?

The Schoolboy Enclosure ?

The Open/Uncovered/Park End ?

52 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

While we’re being fair, lets look at it this way.  

If you’ve got a shit, underperforming manager or head coach, it’s perfectly reasonable to reach a point when you want them out.  What’s the difference when it’s a shit, underperforming owner?

There isn’t?

I’m not sure how that relates to what I said?

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I haven't replied to one of your posts since you patronised me on another thread (where my only crime was staying on topic).  You post some really good stuff on here.  Might it be better for you to stick to that rather than trying to tell other people how they should frame their posts?  What posts like this ignore is that (a) many of the posts they criticise are actually responses to a previous post, in that context they often make perfect sense (even if you disagree with them), and (b) it's actually quite useful to stick to the topic and not write a lengthy thesis on the wider situation at BCFC complete with a "balanced" listing of all the arguments and counterarguments.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, grifty said:

There isn’t?

I’m not sure how that relates to what I said?

It was your mention of being the other side of the coin and being an opposite blinkered view.

You can only tolerate so many crap decisions from SL and I’d suggest this latest one has pushed a number of remaining SL supporters over the edge.

Wanting him gone now doesn’t suggest blinkered to me and rather, an assessment of over 20 years of his ownership record and what he offers us going forward and his inability to learn from his mistakes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I think people need to be careful what they wish for..!

There are many, many examples of far worse than we have had.

Not that bollocks again. Do you think you are some kind of sage? Steve is looking to sell, whatever you wish for or don't wish for, he's not going to be our owner for much longer if he has any say in it. He's told us that about as clearly as it's possible to make it. Whether the structure he has set up allows that to happen very quickly is a completely different question but the longer it drags on the longer the club is in a state of limbo. I hope he's successful in selling the club and he gets as much of his money back as possible as swiftly as possible................. then we can move on because even his most ardent, one eyed and compliant customer must understand that he's lost interest in the football side of the operation and that cannot be a positive in terms of ownership moving forwards.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, red panda said:

I haven't replied to one of your posts since you patronised me on another thread (where my only crime was staying on topic).  You post some really good stuff on here.  Might it be better for you to stick to that rather than trying to tell other people how they should frame their posts?  What posts like this ignore is that (a) many of the posts they criticise are actually responses to a previous post, in that context they often make perfect sense (even if you disagree with them), and (b) it's actually quite useful to stick to the topic and not write a lengthy thesis on the wider situation at BCFC complete with a "balanced" listing of all the arguments and counterarguments.

Fair point.

• Like 2

What about a procession down north street where distressed fans can throw flowers and leave touching remarks? Hoping for at least ankle deep in bouquets outside the coopers and along the natch wall. We could then meet at the back of the Pearson stand for a few readings from his best press conferences, before catching and eating an ostrich at the fans village.

Happy to set up a gofundme if people are interested?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Not that bollocks again. Do you think you are some kind of sage? Steve is looking to sell, whatever you wish for or don't wish for, he's not going to be our owner for much longer if he has any say in it. He's told us that about as clearly as it's possible to make it. Whether the structure he has set up allows that to happen very quickly is a completely different question but the longer it drags on the longer the club is in a state of limbo. I hope he's successful in selling the club and he gets as much of his money back as possible as swiftly as possible................. then we can move on because even his most ardent, one eyed and compliant customer must understand that he's lost interest in the football side of the operation and that cannot be a positive in terms of ownership moving forwards.

Despite your obnoxious opening to your post, I generally agree with the main point of it.

But absolutely would not want him to just grab the first/any potential investor that came along.

It has to be the right one, with backing, substance & commitment to taking the whole club/Bristol Sport entity forward.

Otherwise examples of what xan easily go wrong are in evidence throughout the football league.

I hope & believe that SL has that about him & will wait for someone suitable, rather than grab the quickest opportunity to cash out& say bollocks to everyone else - which he must be feeling more inclined to do by the day as he reads some of the stuff posted on here & other social media.

His tenure has some fantastic progress to show, along with frustration at failing to get the playing side where we'd all like it to be.

I believe his intentions have always been for the best interests of the club & city as whole - those haven't always paid off - but compare us now to before he took over & the whole thing is light years ahead of where we were - we just haven't nailed it on the pitch.

11 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

What about a procession down north street where distressed fans can throw flowers and leave touching remarks? Hoping for at least ankle deep in bouquets outside the coopers and along the natch wall. We could then meet at the back of the Pearson stand for a few readings from his best press conferences, before catching and eating an ostrich at the fans village.

Happy to set up a gofundme if people are interested?

I don't think the football lads amongst us will go for that, bit too subtle, but you've got something there

34 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

And as far as you're concerned he could sell it to literally anone else...and it wouldn't worry you who?

10 hours ago, Street red said:

And if it wasn't for Nigel Pearson and Gould the club would be in a very s*** position.

That's very true. But so also is that fact that Lansdown's (very unpopular) decision to tighten the purse strings to the point of strangulation has also been part of that. And (your earlier post) it seems likely according to several posters on here who follow these things that we may not make a loss this season. By the skin of our teeth maybe, but looks like we have escaped FFP action, and we've certainly escaped the dire straits of some others.

There is a tendency for people to focus on those who\ve flirted with FFP and got away with it - Bournemouth, Forest etc, and forget the Readings and the Sheffield Wednesdays.

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

And, of course, all four are true.

You have to admit though that only two have formed the basis of most discussion on here the past 48 hours (or more!) - so a bit of balance maybe doesn't go amiss.

2 hours ago, Ciderhead433 said:

About to post exactly the same.

I rated Pearson, certainly higher than a few posting in this thread & the Bristol Sport bots.

However if our owner chose to name a stand after himself, rather than the only man alive who has managed us in the top flight or the one who turned us around at our very lowest ebb, he sure isn’t naming one after anyone else.

• Like 2
  • Robin 2

12 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

It occurs to me that SL is vulnerable to attacks on his ego.

How about unofficially renaming The Lansdown Stand The Nigel Pearson Stand;  and when new owners arrive lobby for the unofficial name to be made official.

Just refer to it as The Grandstand, mate. Or No.1 stand. That's what it's always been and always will be.

• Like 1

Challenge- Defend Steve Lansdown without saying ‘be careful what you wish for’ or mentioning Vincent Tan (whose teams have achieved a lot more on the pitch than Lansdown’s).

Apparently it’s impossible.

Anyway, as anyone with a brain would be aware, the suggestion of renaming it the Nigel Pearson stand is clearly a joke. If we’re going to start talking about stand names however, it’s an absolute disgrace that in the rebuild the name Wedlock was lost from the ground and we gained the name Lansdown. Absolutely disgusting.

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

It’s not blinkered when you look at the state of investment in English football

its very reasonable and very easy to support the suggestion the fire could be calling should the frying pan be vacated.

Nige has done a good job, but we were not going to kick on with him either. Saint nige crap is really starting to grate

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

They got an ice pick .....

Best post this week.  I will be humming that all day.

5 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

It’s not blinkered when you look at the state of investment in English football

its very reasonable and very easy to support the suggestion the fire could be calling should the frying pan be vacated.

Nige has done a good job, but we were not going to kick on with him either. Saint nige crap is really starting to grate

Yeah, blinkered was poor choice of words.  Accepted.

Yep, Nige has done a good job, there is too much extremity posted…but it’s a forum, that’s what happens I guess.