IGNORED

The Nigel Pearson Stand

Ivorguy

14 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

Challenge- Defend Steve Lansdown without saying ‘be careful what you wish for’ or mentioning Vincent Tan (whose teams have achieved a lot more on the pitch than Lansdown’s).

Apparently it’s impossible.

Anyway, as anyone with a brain would be aware, the suggestion of renaming it the Nigel Pearson stand is clearly a joke. If we’re going to start talking about stand names however, it’s an absolute disgrace that in the rebuild the name Wedlock was lost from the ground and we gained the name Lansdown. Absolutely disgusting.

Rule on here;

Must mention Reading or Sheffield Wednesday.

Must not mention Brighton, Brentford, Fulham, Bournemouth, Swansea, etc, etc.

Spot on about Tan, a man who wears a replica shirt over his actual shirt & seemingly doesn’t understand where your trousers should end, but still more successful in football terms than Guernsey.

• Like 1

Just to point out that neither Williams or Dolman were players. And we have only had 2 parts of the ground named after players: the dearly departed Wedlock “stand” and of course the Atyeo Stand. And even those names were relatively recent.

if you really wanted to rename a stand after a manager and make a point to the current owners then the obvious answer is surely the “Dicks Out Stand”!

48 minutes ago, Super said:

Only those? What about other managers that had success here?

Surely the context of those two post WW1 makes it fairly obvious?

No one else alive bar Alan Dicks has got us promoted to the top flight & he then kept us there for 4 glorious years.

Cooper took over a bankrupt club in the fourth division with a squad of about 10 kids plus John Shaw & then revitalised us.

No other managers can compare to them.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Just now, GrahamC said:

No one else alive bar Alan Dicks has got us promoted to the top flight & he then kept us there for 4 glorious years.

Cooper took over a bankrupt club in the fourth division with a squad of about 10 kids plus John Shaw & then revitalised us.

I get that i would only consider those 2 i was just saying there are others that would be above Pearson.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, italian dave said:

And as far as you're concerned he could sell it to literally anone else...and it wouldn't worry you who?

It doesn’t matter what you are I think, we aren’t selling his club. He sells it to whoever he wants to sell it to. If Donald Trump offered him £300m this afternoon to be paid into his bank account next Monday I would imagine he says “ta very much, here are the keys lad”. Whether you and I are in meltdown about it won’t be a consideration.

41 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Terry Cooper was Nige on steroids cos he was playing kids who didn’t even have that much talent. His only failing was once he steadied a ship that was falling apart at the seams, playing lovely football too, he couldn’t move us on any further than Division 3. But right up there in my favourite Managers list.

• Robin 4

39 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

It doesn’t matter what you are I think, we aren’t selling his club. He sells it to whoever he wants to sell it to. If Donald Trump offered him £300m this afternoon to be paid into his bank account next Monday I would imagine he says “ta very much, here are the keys lad”. Whether you and I are in meltdown about it won’t be a consideration.

Would Donald Trump pass the fit and proper test. Jury out. ;)

That specific aside, this is also important- SL could sell tomorrow but it could take months to get done, or even fall apart entirely.

Various regulatory hurdles.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Another thread containing posts saying either something along the lines:

- be careful what you wish for and / or (re SL)

- someone might’ve done better (re Nige)

to frame their agenda with no consideration that:

- it’s possible to have a better owner too

- it’s possible to have done worse too

It’s a very blinkered view.

Announcing Bill Murray GIF

6 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Of course. But I understood (maybe wrongly) that when you described ‘be careful what you wish for’ as ‘bollocks’, that you weren’t worried who he sold to, just as long as he sold.

Personally, I’d rather he failed to sell it than that he sold it to someone like……..well, about half the current owners in the league!

Fully accept it’s not our choice though! I posted on another thread the other day that I believe SL has always had a genuine wish to sell to someone who will protect his Bristol Sport legacy and all that goes with it (including BCFC). My worry is that he’ll reach the point of desperation/exasperation that he decides he’ll just sell to the first person he can, Donald Trump or whoever!

9 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Terry Cooper was Nige on steroids cos he was playing kids who didn’t even have that much talent. His only failing was once he steadied a ship that was falling apart at the seams, playing lovely football too, he couldn’t move us on any further than Division 3. But right up there in my favourite Managers list.

100%.

Told this story before but my old man was working with a bloke who played for Patchway Town at this time.

Cooper gave the bloke a month’s contract but he didn’t feel that it was long enough for him to give up his job, he then played 4 games in the first team, was told by TC we didn’t see enough to offer him anything longer & because he had taken his holiday for this, went straight back to working in his old job.

I know it was the fourth division but that was how we operated at the time, basically 14 players, Coops (who played as well), Clive Middlemas & Alex Lockhart.

Cooper brought in Glyn Riley, Alan Crawford & Tom Ritchie, he inherited John Shaw, but every other player we had was an inexperienced kid.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Woukd Donald Trump pass the fit and proper test. Jury out. ;)

That specific aside, this is also important- SL could sell tomorrow but it could take months to get done, or even fall apart entirely.

Various regulatory hurdles.

That applies to anyone he sells to. We don’t have a say and we can worry all we like, when the right offer comes in he’s selling up.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Yep! You can argue that the NP era saved us from FFP penalties/relegation. TC’s era saved us from potential extinction. And, as you say, playing some of the most enjoyable football (albeit at a lower level) we’ve ever had. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, italian dave said:

Yep! You can argue that the NP era saved us from FFP penalties/relegation. TC’s era saved us from potential extinction. And, as you say, playing some of the most enjoyable football (albeit at a lower level) we’ve ever had. 

Not to mention sticking it up the North Bristol Hillbillies at their gaff when they were pouncing for the kill…what a day that was.

• Robin 2

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

100%.

Told this story before but my old man was working with a bloke who played for Patchway Town at this time.

Cooper gave the bloke a month’s contract but he didn’t feel that it was long enough for him to give up his job, he then played 4 games in the first team, was told by TC we didn’t see enough to offer him anything longer & because he had taken his holiday for this, went straight back to working in his old job.

I know it was the fourth division but that was how we operated at the time, basically 14 players, Coops (who played as well), Clive Middlemas & Alex Lockhart.

Cooper brought in Glyn Riley, Alan Crawford & Tom Ritchie, he inherited John Shaw, but every other player we had was an inexperienced kid.

Didn’t he sign Alan Walsh. Well, more like stole him! 

Just now, Numero Uno said:

Not to mention sticking it up the North Bristol Hillbillies at their gaff when they were pouncing for the kill…what a day that was.

Brilliant! The winner scored by a student, IIRC 🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

4 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

Just to point out that neither Williams or Dolman were players. And we have only had 2 parts of the ground named after players: the dearly departed Wedlock “stand” and of course the Atyeo Stand. And even those names were relatively recent.

if you really wanted to rename a stand after a manager and make a point to the current owners then the obvious answer is surely the “Dicks Out Stand”!

Could always have the bell end 

4 hours ago, GrahamC said:

100%.

Some of the signings made by Terry Cooper were amazing. It’s a long list, but just two examples are Martyn Hurst, a university student and John Palmer (not the infamous gold and timeshare criminal) who was signed from the mighty Weston Super Mare. 

4 hours ago, italian dave said:

Didn’t he sign Alan Walsh. Well, more like stole him! 

Brilliant! The winner scored by a student, IIRC 🤣🤣

Not only did TC sign Alan Walsh, he drove to Darlington in a van to help with his furniture removal when he moved to Bristol 

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yeah, yeah…at least I can accept when I’ve got it wrong in something I posted.

Sorry, that might have come not the way I intended. Your comment put it very well how I feel about perusing the forum these days, feels like I'm seeing the same back and forth all the time. 😅 Didn't mean to have a go at anyone here.

Edited by RobinTuga

15 minutes ago, RobinTuga said:

Sorry, that might have come not the way I intended. Your comment put it very well how I feel about perusing the forum these days, feels like I'm seeing the same back and forth all the time. 😅 Didn't mean to have a go at anyone here.

No, it’s fine.  Sometimes I try to word something, but I get it a bit wrong - as @red panda will testify.  I don’t mind taking a bit of stick / criticism as a result.  I post a lot, bound to antagonise with the odd post.

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No, it’s fine.  Sometimes I try to word something, but I get it a bit wrong - as @red panda will testify.  I don’t mind taking a bit of stick / criticism as a result.  I post a lot, bound to antagonise with the odd post.

I get that, am guilty of that myself sometimes. Just wanted to point out that wasn't the case here, I genuinely found your post amusing and didn't take it as anything else. Love reading your stuff mate. 👍

Edited by RobinTuga
  • Thanks 1