IGNORED

Today's Pre Match Presser

Tomo

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Looks very likely that the new head coach won't have been appointed by Saturday, which is quite surprising when you consider 

a) they've already been considering Nige's replacement for over three weeks

b) Jon said that for the first time in over 20 years of running the club they have absolute clarity on the type of head coach they want

I understand they need to be diligent, and in fairness a not outrageous period of time has passed since Nige's sacking, but you really would have thought they'd at least be very close to an appointment by now - and I'm not getting those vibes.

There is , of course, the possibility that the type of head coach we want may not have the same absolute clarity on us being the type of club they want?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think it’s becoming apparent there was no plan, other than they needed an excuse to jettison Nige. Had they lined a manager up, he’d be here by now - Eustace/Lampard if wanted are available and we’ve clearly been sounding people out for weeks.

As I have speculated elsewhere, I think there may have been currently unknown factors at work such as the health issues which may or may not get into the public domain.

Has the board really been "sounding people out for weeks"? Other than speculation on here in an echo chamber, I've seen nothing to suggest that they have ....which may be even worse if they had already planned on the dismissal.

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

My guess is a blunt conversation that you’re under contract, you’re the most senior of the coaching team & so we want you to hold the fort until the new man is in place.

Nothing else but that & I still think he’ll be gone within a month.

Exactly this … if he walked I’d imagine it would’ve had a serious effect on the compensation for getting his marching orders before his contract was out.

Gone when the new man is chosen. 

Just now, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

As I have speculated elsewhere, I think there may have been currently unknown factors at work such as the health issues which may or may not get into the public domain.

Has the board really been "sounding people out for weeks"? Other than speculation on here in an echo chamber, I've seen nothing to suggest that they have ....which may be even worse if they had already planned on the dismissal.

In one of Piercy’s articles earlier this week he basically confirmed that after the Leeds game, the club had started putting the wheels in motion for his exit. 

Said yesterday, and it’s total guesswork on my part, but I reckon their ‘process’ is talking to anyone free & available and seeing what sticks (if anything) then moving on to those currently in jobs. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

b) Jon said that for the first time in over 20 years of running the club they have absolute clarity on the type of head coach they want

So an admission that they got all previous appointments wrong then. Inadvertent honesty by Jon there.

Edited by chinapig
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bcfcnick said:

I like Fleming and, more importantly, the players appear to. So, unlikely as it is, I hope he stays on in a coaching capacity (not head coach) and gives some continuity with the players.   It will be interesting to see if there are any changes to personnel (not that there is much scope) aside from those expected back and, also, any formation changes.

Yeah imagine having three of the most significant, coach, trainer and medic, gone in the blink of an eye must be very difficult for the players too. 

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I did chuckle when he said that….but it got lost amongst all the other stuff that was in that interview.

I can’t get past it. Why would you admit that? The FIRST time they’ve known what they’re looking for. And half the rumoured candidates don’t fit the bill…

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Harry said:

Poor little lamb. He might have to spend some money on a few replacement flags at his golf course. 

Heard that's not the case.

Instead he's sacked the groundsman for not having the flags better conditioned to cope with mother nature, and is disappointed the groundsman's has not achieved the objective of the Masters being played there.

• Haha 5

Just now, Son of Fred said:

I'm sure he will provide yet another excellent hostage video 

Whatever we think of him, he’s a footballer, so his job in these interviews is to say something along the lines of “disappointed, we’ve trained well & are looking forward to the game”.

Not a criticism of him but 99% of player interviews aren’t worth watching.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Slack Bladder said:

We all know the drill

In 6 weeks time they'll appoint Curtis Flemming as the new head coach

Surely to God they have to make an appointment that at least fires the imagination a bit .

Although, I  was underwhelmed when they appointed Cotts and he gave us one of our best seasons.

In fact I've come to the conclusion that the best time to support City is pre season, when you have all the optimisation without the grinding reality that it's just another mediocre season..

Edited by B1ackbird

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Whatever we think of him, he’s a footballer, so his job in these interviews is to say something along the lines of “disappointed, we’ve trained well & are looking forward to the game”.

Not a criticism of him but 99% of player interviews aren’t worth watching.

“Only Fools and Horses”

”Lager Top”

”Haven’t given it much thought but my dads a carpenter so I’d have probably gone into that”

Etc.

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

“Only Fools and Horses”

”Lager Top”

”Haven’t given it much thought but my dads a carpenter so I’d have probably gone into that”

Etc.

Steve McQueen & Sylvia Kristel.

”All opponents are difficult”.

Earth, Wind and Fire.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Looks very likely that the new head coach won't have been appointed by Saturday, which is quite surprising when you consider 

a) they've already been considering Nige's replacement for over three weeks

I understand they need to be diligent, and in fairness a not outrageous period of time has passed since Nige's sacking, but you really would have thought they'd at least be very close to an appointment by now - and I'm not getting those vibes.

It’s not surprising given the Lansdowns’ track record of dithering and woeful appointments! 

Rewind to 2020 when it took six weeks: “We’ve run a thorough and vigorous process, we had a wide range of candidates” blah blah blah. 

They don’t have a clue what they’re doing. That’s the reality. 

Edited by tin
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, tin said:

It’s not surprising given the Lansdowns’ track record of dithering and woeful appointments! 

Rewind to 2020 when it took six weeks: “We’ve run a thorough and vigorous process, we had a wide range of candidates” blah blah blah. 

They don’t have a clue what they’re doing. That’s the reality. 

There was an argument that uncertainty with Covid and finances meant a go for it year wouldn't have been the time.

If we we recall, we were a particularly bullish club in terms of reopening. Our public pronouncements on it were quite vocal in 2020.

41 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

If the club and Nigel had given a statement saying that with regret Nigel was stepping down due to personal or health reasons, and a genuine 'thank you, we wish you well' type statement from the club, things would look so different. Same outcome but different feel altogether.

We've even had a departing press conference when Gary left FFS! The happenings over the past few days have been nothing like that. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 2

35 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

I can’t get past it. Why would you admit that? The FIRST time they’ve known what they’re looking for. And half the rumoured candidates don’t fit the bill…

Yeh, but based on everything that has gone before, we'd be mad to believe that.

The truth is that even now they haven't got a clue what they're looking for.

The worst thing is they'll probably end up getting desperate, start to panic, and then announce, in the same way as they did before .....

" After a long, arduous, intensive search and process we are delighted to announce . . . . ."   (well, you know the rest).

Edited by Bazooka Joe
  • Like 1

• Admin
55 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Straws being grasped at desperately here, if he was unwell they couldn't sack him, nobody can sack someone based on ill health

Buying too much into sound bites that the club have released recently

It's no secret internally NPs days have been numbered but the axe started swinging after the Leeds fixture

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think it’s becoming apparent there was no plan, other than they needed an excuse to jettison Nige. Had they lined a manager up, he’d be here by now - Eustace/Lampard if wanted are available and we’ve clearly been sounding people out for weeks.

The mealy mouthed rationale, the not fronting up, the doing it at this juncture and the no movement on replacement suggests that they sacked Nige as they had to go before winnable games and players back from injury. If Lansdowns and Tinnion had one inch of courage, they’d have still sacked him after a win - but that wouldn’t play to their bullshit narrative.

I have no issue in taking time over an appointment to get it right. However, as @Kid in the Riot says, the clock for finding a replacement didn’t start last Sunday - it started some time ago. It’s wholly plausible also we’ve lost some candidates who don’t want to report to an illiterate Geordie and a know nothing Nepo baby, and the interviews/the way they’ve handled things have tipped people over the edge.

No plan. No clue. No credibility.

The 3 clowns must have been praying we didn't beat Cardiff last week.