IGNORED

Liam Manning - CONFIRMED NEW HEAD COACH

Lydered

3 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Whether you agree with it or not I don’t think it’s that hard to understand. They didn’t feel that the performances were good enough for us to challenge for the play offs.  I think most fans would agree that on the whole this season we haven’t produced many top 6 performances.  

They are then hoping a new manager can improve performances.  That doesn’t necessarily mean they expect a new manager to achieve top 6 in just 7 months time. 

I think they do.

Just that it won’t be a sackable reason, there might be mitigating circumstances, they might make up some feeble excuse.

If they don’t, then they should communicate better.  Because a number of us heard the expectation from JL and BT.  Only GM has been a bit sensible, using the “top part of the table” term, which is far more sensible.

3 hours ago, Harry said:

I won’t be judging the new manager on whether they achieve promotion this season. I’ll be judging Jon & Brian. 
Whoever comes in gets a fair shot in my eyes. But promotion was clearly stated as the goal and if new boss doesn’t achieve it then it’s on JL & BT. I won’t be screaming for the managers head, I’ll be expecting changes at the top. 

Too true Brother Harry!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Harry said:

I won’t be judging the new manager on whether they achieve promotion this season. I’ll be judging Jon & Brian. 
Whoever comes in gets a fair shot in my eyes. But promotion was clearly stated as the goal and if new boss doesn’t achieve it then it’s on JL & BT. I won’t be screaming for the managers head, I’ll be expecting changes at the top. 

Agreed.

SL - "Judge me on Tinnion" all those years ago- remember that ?

Bit of a circle really.

I really hope it works this time round..

3 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

They are then hoping a new manager can improve performances.  That doesn’t necessarily mean they expect a new manager to achieve top 6 in just 7 months time. 

And this is where Jon’s words will be tested. 
He quite clearly said that Pearson was sacked because they were expecting this to be a squad capable of promotion (that’s the aim). He then quite clearly, crystal clearly, said that we have to make the change now otherwise what’s the point of bumbling along this season. 

1) He felt this squad was capable of promotion. 
2) Nige wasn’t gonna get this squad promoted. 
3) if we don’t change it now we’ll bumble along. 
4) If we do change it now, this squad is capable of promotion. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Harry said:

I guess the difference is the at we are supposedly NOT starting from scratch. We’re 4 points off the playoffs with the next match against the 23rd placed team. The new head coach is being brought in to supposedly work to a certain remit and style. To work within the parameters already laid down, specifically when it comes to budget, recruitment, playing style. 

I would agree with you if we were bringing in a new manager to start over again. But we’re not. We have clearly stated that the new man will work within the existing philosophy. 

As I say, I’m not going to call for the new managers head if we don’t go up, but I will be expecting Jon & Brian to front it up, and perhaps reevaluate their philosophies and the club structure. 

Ta.

This is the bit I keep repeating but some don’t seem to have taken in the info given by JL / BT.

This club has an established strategy / plan, everything is in place, the squad, the staff (operationally and football-wise), the recruitment policy and processes, etc, etc.

According to JL / BT the only reason we aren’t top 6 is because the bloke in charge (Nige) and his staff (Dave and Jason, plus possibly Curtis) haven’t performed well enough.

So, there aren’t any excuses for the new head-coach, according to them.  But then again, they were a bit too desperate to create the rationale they did, they kinda set themselves up to get bloody minded fans (inc myself) pick up on every word they’ve spoken.

• Like 14

1 minute ago, Harry said:

He quite clearly said that Pearson was sacked because they were expecting this to be a squad capable of promotion (that’s the aim). He then quite clearly, crystal clearly, said that we have to make the change now otherwise what’s the point of bumbling along this season. 

You also have to caveat this with the fact that Jon is a cufking idiot. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Go Junior GO said:

Why oh why did Lansdown say it would be an impressive appointment if this was the case, should have kept his mouth shut. Don’t want to believe this is true

Probably because he’s a deluded asshole!

If it does turn out to be Manning, let’s hope we strike lucky and he turns out to be a great fit.   If that’s the case, that would suggest to me a massively lucky punt, rather than a master stroke by crayon boy.

3 hours ago, A Darkwood Red said:

Why is it so difficult for some to move on?

Pearson was clearly not going to get his contact extended, he knew it, thats why he's been hinting at it for the last several weeks. Whether we agree with it or not it's beyond our control. With that being the case why would the club stick with him through the January window?

With the final international break of the year after next weeks game, from a clubs point of now was the logical time to let him go.

Constantly comparing any appointment to Pearson seems pointless to me but then I'm over a defeat before I get back to the car.

Although I'm on the fence with Pearson's dismissal, I appreciate the brilliant job he's done rebuilding through Covid and mess he inherited, as a season ticket holder who watches us mainly at home with maybe 1 or 2 away games a season I have become increasingly exasperated with the continuing poor home performances we've had to endure through multiple managerial regimes over the last 5/6 years. 

Counterattacking is great in away games but rarely works at home.

The logical time would’ve been the end of last season / start of the summer.

8 minutes ago, Harry said:

Agreed but if the new manager doesn’t make top 6 they won’t be sacked is more the point I was, clumsily, trying to make 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Go Junior GO said:

Why oh why did Lansdown say it would be an impressive appointment if this was the case, should have kept his mouth shut. Don’t want to believe this is true

Maybe Jon isn’t talking football… perhaps he’s thinking an impressive human being. You know the sort, polite, nice, doesn’t argue or answer back…. the type you’d take home to Guernsey to meet your dad. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Ta.

This is the bit I keep repeating but some don’t seem to have taken in the info given by JL / BT.

This club has an established strategy / plan, everything is in place, the squad, the staff (operationally and football-wise), the recruitment policy and processes, etc, etc.

According to JL / BT the only reason we aren’t top 6 is because the bloke in charge (Nige) and his staff (Dave and Jason, plus possibly Curtis) haven’t performed well enough.

So, there aren’t any excuses for the new head-coach, according to them.  But then again, they were a bit too desperate to create the rationale they did, they kinda set themselves up to get bloody minded fans (inc myself) pick up on every word they’ve spoken.

At the start of the season I felt as if we were good enough for top 10 and I'd have been happy going into the final games with a shout of the play offs. 

I think with what we've seen this season we was on course for that. I certainly felt as if the squad had taken a step forward this season. 

When Nige signed his contract he said it would be a 3 year project to get us challenging. I think the board have stuck rigidly to them targets where as many of us realised it was a tougher job than Nige envisaged and the goal posts had been moved so for me a +1 needed to be added to that 3 year target.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Harry said:

I agree. To expect promotion would indeed be crazy. 
And this is exactly why there were hardly any fans (if any at all) were judging Pearson on a promotion shot this season. 

Now, I’m not as ‘bothered’ about Nige leaving as a lot of others are. For what it’s worth, I was happy for him to see this season out but I always knew he’d never be re-signing after the 3 year contract was up. So I’ve always been comfortable with the fact that he would leave, whether at the end of this season or potentially earlier - I thought it might’ve been new year, ready for someone new to come in and take the next steps. 
So my thinking is not clouded by any particular love for Pearson.

But the manner of the sacking is what puzzles me. The reasons given have been crystal clear from Jon & Brian. They were expecting THIS squad to to be at the “top end” of this division and that “the aim is promotion”. 
They have judged Pearson on a very different expectation that any supporters I know. As I said, I don’t think any of us expected promotion this season. 

This is why I will be 100% behind whomever the new manager is, and my judgement of how we perform will be on Jon & Brian. 
There is no fannying around to be had. The new man hasn’t got a free hit this season and then challenge the top next season. The expectation is quite clear from both of the men in charge. 

THIS squad should be at the top end”, “the aim is promotion and we wouldn’t have made the change if we didn’t think we could achieve that”, “there would be no point in making the change now if we were happy to just bumble along for the rest of this season”. 

Those are direct quotes from the blokes in charge. The change had been made because they still believe THIS squad should be at the top end THIS season. 
It’s their sole reasoning they’ve provided for making the change. 

As I said, I’m not going to judge the manager on this. The manager is being expected to come in to THIS squad and get them to the top end. I keep putting THIS squad in capitals because this is what has been stated, quite clearly, that they both believe this is the best squad in years and should be at the top end, playing the way we play “throughout the club”. So the new boss has to work with what he’s got, within the parameters set and get us to the “top end”. 
I’ll be judging Jon & Brian on this, as the philosophy is now theirs to own and the next appointment will be theirs to own. 

Top post, screenshotted - the bit in italics is golden.

2 hours ago, Harry said:

As I’ve said before - if I were to ask Manning to be my manager, I would need to furnish him, at minimum, with a creative number 10, a tempo-controlling number 6 and a possession heavy number 8, and an attack minded right back. 
I wouldn’t expect Manning to come in and get this current squad playing the way he wants. Unless he’s a miracle coach. 

Although with a hint of Devil’s advocate, if they are recruiting Manning, it’s because they’ve identified him as a head-coach who can adapt to the squad already here, to play the style they have stated.  Which as you know is a bit different to how he set up MKD and Oxford.

FWIW I would expect any young, up and coming coach to be able to adaptable, they’ve done the badges, know the theory, etc.  Ok, there ys an element of facetiousness in my post, but how is this different to call Nige a dinosaur.

To end, I don’t give a toss who we appoint.  I quite liked the idea of Lampard from a profile point of view (not my normal way of thinking), I like the idea of Manning from hopefully a coaching purity point of view.  I liked Eustace too from a mix of learning in the NatLg playing “Barcelona style) and then playing differently with Brum.  Blah, blah, blah.

I’m basically open to whoever.

I will bear no animosity to the new appointment, I don’t think many will.  I think most people are making it clear how stupid they thought the comments were from JL (x2) and BT in potentially setting themselves up for stick further down the line.

1 minute ago, One Team said:

Ian Gay said on FBC that his “impeccable source” says the appointment is “someone the fans will get really excited about”. 

That surely rules out Manning, and most of the bookies list?

He’s lying, because the only person Ian Gay finds exciting, is himself. And while I think the club is run by absolute morons, they aren’t moronic enough to appoint that guy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, One Team said:

Ian Gay said on FBC that his “impeccable source” says the appointment is “someone the fans will get really excited about”. 

I guess this will be make or break for Mr Gay, probably one of the most controversial fans of the club.

A number of people have written about the new coach being appointed today (myself included) but my source had no clue (or wasn’t prepared) to say who it is.

So respect to Mr Gay if he’s correct.

9 minutes ago, One Team said:

I found it a really odd comment , the club are hardly going to say; we tried everyone else but we’ve gone for the least inspirational candidate we could think of. Even Holden was talked up 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Go Junior GO said:

He didn't

8 hours ago, Hartleysbeard said:

Where has he actually said these words? I don’t recall that from either of the interviews that have come out? Have I missed it? 

Exactly

The only people lying are those on social media and on here making up what hasn't been said by either BT or JL.

Trouble is - it's being picked up by some long standing posters who should no better and do their research before accepting an agenda created in an echo chamber.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

I guess this will be make or break for Mr Gay, probably one of the most controversial fans of the club.

A number of people have written about the new coach being appointed today (myself included) but my source had no clue (or wasn’t prepared) to say who it is.

So respect to Mr Gay if he’s correct.

No, respect the "impeccable source"

• Haha 1