IGNORED

Liam Manning - CONFIRMED NEW HEAD COACH

Lydered

Just took a look at his coaching staff, it looks like Chris Hogg has followed him around, was at MK and now oxford as such I think we can safely say he will end up here also.  

The rest, Craig Short, Wayne Brown (ex City) and Derek Fazackerley pre-dated Manning so at a guess will stay put.

Lets hope he also knows a good physio,

COACHING STAFF

Men's Head Coach  Liam Manning

Assistant Manager  Chris Hogg

Football Advisor   Derek Fazackerley

First Team Coach  Craig Short

Goalkeeping Coach   Wayne Brown

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Well bully for you

It's not the teams it's the method and results

He's improved all of them 

Please go back and have a look at his record and then repost.

Where have you seen his method and when and over what length of time?

Who has he improved and if you are talking about Oxford then short time he's been there doesn't merit much in the way of lavish praise does it?

2 minutes ago, hinsleburg said:

Really not sure how I feel about this if we are being honest.

Seems very bizarre to be bringing somebody in mid-season who needs to change the whole teams playing style to fit what they want to do. Could be an absolute disaster for everybody if it goes horribly wrong and sadly for Manning he will always he compared to LJ/Holden. (Not saying that's fair, but it will happen). Ultimately, he's also completely unproven at this level, everybody needs to start somewhere and maybe this is the one that we get right, but recent history isn't on his side.

However, he does have a much better reputation in the game than those mentioned above. He has been bought in as a 'Coach' with a very clear remit and whilst I feel very uncomfortable with what happened with NP, there is a different structure there now and Manning seems to fit in better with it. 

As others have mentioned, I'd love to know what the expectation is on him this season and what he will be given to do it. Don't care what the club says, this squad is three players light of being a top 8 squad and believe NP had us slightly above where the squad sits in my opinion pre-injuries.

Messiah Tinnion has said whoever comes in has to play the way we play now, not much will change.

He's coming in because he seems like someone who won't hurt anyone's feelings in the hierarchy.

And the hierarchy has said they are expecting promotion so if we don't get into the top six this season then we can start pointing fingers higher up for not getting "what they want." 

Well they've got what they want now. Back to the old cosy club.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Exciting times

Liam's worked at Westham Redbull New York, managed Lommel , Oxford and MK Dons.

Plays high press, brings on youth players and has a very good win percentage.

Absolutely fits the description given last week.

Not seeing downsides 

Never managed above League 1?

Not a bit of a downside?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ian M said:

If this is the appointment my reaction will be:

Phew, could have been worse.

Could you introduce an emoji for that?

5 minutes ago, YGBjammy said:

Fits what the bosses want for our club; a head coach who coaches. He's only 38, and look at his CV and what he has done already. Only question mark is the end of the MK Dons stint, but sounds like there were reasons for that, and every manager has periods like that, otherwise they would never get sacked! He's then moved on to Oxford in March, and 8 months later they're in 2nd place. He's someone whose stock is rising, so lets get on that like other championship clubs do. I think he will do well. COYR

Reading about his career, one thing that stands out is that he doesn't hold back from jumping ship for a new opportunity. One way or another he won't be with us for long!

Edited by mozo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 02/11/2023 at 21:48, Silvio Dante said:

Again, trying to look through this of the lens of “He’s not Nige and I’d rather Nige”…

I did think the 5-1 against Oxford didn’t tell the full story. They were well in the game first half and had a good few chances. I thought they played decent football and were a good side. His MK Dons team were also a good set up until the family silver was sold.

Against that, as has been noted he’s not a huge distance away from a sacking at the level below. The dropoff after losing key players - and a major dropoff - is a real concern. As a parallel, had he been City manager and lost Scott/Semenyo, there is real doubt as to how he would have coped, and at a level above.

I don’t inherently dislike him but for me there are too many question marks at the moment and the above, considering our position of selling our best players, is a real red flag. I think if he showed consistency in performance for another year-18 months he’s a good shout. But I’m probably landing on the side of No at the moment for the above reasons.

Just quoting myself here - I think the last paragraph is key. He’s on a “run of form” at Oxford as opposed to having shown he could alleviate the concerns his MK sacking showed. It could be genius, and in 18 months he may have been out of reach but my gut is it feels a very big gamble currently.

If it goes wrong though, as has been said, it’s on the Lansdowns and Tinnion 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Well bully for you

It's not the teams it's the method and results

He's improved all of them 

Yeah, exactly. Everyone needs to start somewhere, right. What is the correct career path for a coach of Bristol City? Just someone on the Championship roundabout? A foreign manager with experience of lower leagues abroad? Someone already inside Bristol City coaching set up getting promoted? Or one of the most promising managers at the top of the league below?

Whatever people think about the appointment, this smacks of having a clear plan which has been a persistent critique of the leadership over the last week and bit. It's consistent with what they said they were looking for. 

Easy to mock appointing a lower league manager (if it happens) but I actually do think this is an exciting appointment very different from some of the appointments used as a reference point by some commenters. Think this isn't a case of 'they don't know what they're doing' but suggests they know exactly what they're doing. Whether that clear plan proves correct, let's see. 

Hopefully everyone gets on board, because the strong platform Nige leaves behind will mean nothing if fans don't get behind appointment from beginning. I'm optimistic if this happens.

Edited by the1stknowle

Again he took Oxford training this morning 

Have a mate that plays for Oxford & I asked him are you gutted if he leaves & he said yeah cause he played me every week 😂

He also said he’s up there with the best managers he’s played for & that they play really good football.

Edited by Carey 6
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

May not be an exciting appointment but i'm not disappointed with it.

Looking forward to hearing what he has to say.

I'd guess at 'Great Opportunity' and maybe 'Sleeping Giant' and 'Exciting Project'

Edited by jj77

2 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

I'm just glad it's not Lampard or Warnock. Or Jones.

Frankly, it's a risky appointment, for us and for Manning. But I wish him well.

Bold is spot on. He’s taken a risk here if it does happen, would argue he’s dieing to prove himself at this level, and needs to. 

And there’s no shying away from what the task is by how much JL has mentioned promotion over the last week. Hopefully he hits the ground running and builds a good relationship with our squad. Would love to see a manager get the best out of mehmeti tbf. COYR

2 minutes ago, Ecko said:

He must had did an incredible job at improving MK Dons as they sacked him.

They did sack him. Apparently, because he had to sell his best 2 players then loads of posters on here think that is fine and dandy. Also apparently, not his fault that he couldn't Coach the remaining 23 players in to accumulating more tan just 15 points from over 20 games.

He must be bloody good at interviews.

• Flames 1
  • Facepalm 1

22 minutes ago, westonred said:

The only way the Lansdowns can get the fans back on side is to throw money into the transfer kitty and get in some marque signings in Jan

But that would prove that they (JL, BT) are massively mistaken about the current ability of our squad or that they simply lied to us. Both are extremely worrying.

Not to mention indicating that they purposely sabotaged Pearson by not allowing him those same funds in the summer. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, westonred said:

The only way the Lansdowns can get the fans back on side is to throw money into the transfer kitty and get in some marque signings in Jan

I hope not. One of the (many) clever insights from Nigel was the need to have a group of players BROADLY on the same salary, creating a harmonious platform. Marque signings imply high wages, recreating the divergence Nigel inherited and sought to resolve.

We need to buy potential, nurture them, develop them... then sell them to Bournemouth.

I guess that's the logic behind Manning and his perceived ability to get the best out of young talent.

• Like 1