IGNORED

Liam Manning - CONFIRMED NEW HEAD COACH

Lydered

56 minutes ago, LoyalRed said:

It seems a little unusual to leave a team in 2nd place with a good chance of getting promotion.  It would be a nice addition to his CV to gain a promotion with Oxford.

All he has is a playoff place with MK, they lost.

Was sacked by MK who went on to get relegated.

Saved Oxford from relegation on the last day.

Has got Oxford to 2nd.

He’s been at Oxford 7 months, there’s loyalty for you. 

I suppose beyond the coaching team the next question is who he may look to bring in player-wise.  The January window is not far away and I wonder if he believes there is anyone in the current Oxford squad that will improve us.  Their goalie (Beadle) is currently on loan from Brighton and has been in the U20 England squad.

Edited by Nuno Gomes

13 minutes ago, Wilse said:

Here’s a short video, with Manning discussing his coaching philosophy (in 2021). He stated that his coaching is underpinned by principles rather than systems. The most encouraging comment for me was that he tries to utilise a player’s strengths rather get them to adapt too much (I’m thinking of Mehmeti). 

Apologies if this has been posted previously. 

Reminds me of this 😂

Edited by Tinmans Love Child

16 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

There's so much snobbery on here over Manning.

His points per game over his career is about 1.62, a total that over a season would be about 50% chance of getting to the playoffs.

A near 50% win rate at all clubs he's managed.

He's not managed in the Championship? OK, he's 38 for ***** sake, are you expecting him to have just walked straight into a Championship or Premier league side as his first job? The ones that do that are the exceptions usually because they were a big name as a player (Lampard, Rooney) but neither of them have been particularly good as managers, and I'd far rather give Manning a try than either of those.

We all know the step up from L1 to championship is huge. Look at how many of the promoted teams struggle. You are on dodgy ground quoting win ratios when none of it is at this level.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, One Team said:

It’s not the lack of big name for me, it’s lacking any experience at our level and having had no tangible success (I.e. promotions).

He has got a hell of a task. Needs to get promotion and win over a fan base who, in the main, didn’t want a change of a manager. Fair play to him if he can do that.

My concern is that it doesn't appear his style doesn't seem to fit with what we have got. 

I feel there is going to be quite a bit of pain to come whilst we adjust. Then in Jan we will need to sign X amount of players to fit his system.

I thought the idea was to bring someone in who could improve upon what we were doing under Nige. 

It seems like we are ripping it all up and starting again and that is a huge risk. If this goes badly we could find ourselves at the wrong end of the table! 

Tasking this guy with getting us promotion is absolutely ******* ridiculous. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull

Just now, Red white and red said:

Another yes man, who will be ever grateful to the regime and won’t argue with the interference from people who know absolutely nothing about football. 

Litter. 

The man is at Oxford not bloody Taunton town. 

The unbelievable arrogance of some on here is gas levels of delusions of grandeur. We are a middling to small championship side not a ******* giant of English football. 

• Like 10
  • Robin 1

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

My concern is that it doesn't appear his style doesn't seem to fit with what we have got. 

I feel there is going to be quite a bit of pain to come whilst we adjust. Then in Jan we will need to sign X amount of players to fit his system.

I thought the idea was to bring someone in who could improve upon what we were doing under Nige. 

It seems like we are ripping it all up and starting again and that is a huge risk. If this goes badly we could find ourselves at the wrong end of the table! 

Indeed, which will be an issue given he needs to win promotion!

Edited by One Team

2 minutes ago, Nuno Gomes said:

I suppose beyond the coaching team the next question is who he may look to bring in player-wise.  The January window is not far away and I wonder if he believes there is anyone in the current Oxford squad that will improve us.  Their goalie is currently on loan from Brighton and has been in the U20 England squad.

Whoop whoop.

I'm proper excited now.

(unfortunately, sarcasm doesn't work in written form).

1 minute ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

See, I always thought players only had a left foot and right foot.

Are they evolving into having a back foot and front foot as well?

I am not too concerned about possession. 30% is often enough to score goals if you get the ball into space quickly.

We are not good at breaking teams down so that is possibly his first task, if confirmed.

I had to look up front foot football and the best I can come up with is that it is the opposite of being on the back foot - seems an obvious/pointless statement - like saying we want to score goals, don't want to be on the back foot so get on the front foot.

What team wants to be on the back foot because not every team can be on the front foot?

Just now, Spud21 said:

The unbelievable arrogance of some on here is gas levels of delusions of grandeur. We are a middling to small championship side not a ******* giant of English football. 

I get your point... but I think you need to re-evaluate how we should view ourselves.

The expectation from on high is that we should be out-performing our top 10 budget, after all...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

There's so much snobbery on here over Manning.

His points per game over his career is about 1.62, a total that over a season would be about 50% chance of getting to the playoffs.

A near 50% win rate at all clubs he's managed.

He's not managed in the Championship? OK, he's 38 for ***** sake, are you expecting him to have just walked straight into a Championship or Premier league side as his first job? The ones that do that are the exceptions usually because they were a big name as a player (Lampard, Rooney) but neither of them have been particularly good as managers, and I'd far rather give Manning a try than either of those.

Snobbery maybe, but I'd argue it's more frustration that we are in this predicament when we already had - what many perceive as - the right man in place in NP. 

We will have to get behind whoever it is, but it doesn't mean you have to like it or can't contrast/compare what we had with what we may have.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, robin_unreliant said:

We all know the step up from L1 to championship is huge. Look at how many of the promoted teams struggle. You are on dodgy ground quoting win ratios when none of it is at this level.

Had MK in the playoffs, they sacked him and got relegated.

Saved Oxford from relegation and now has them 2nd.

I'm sure both of those are just coincidences.

If a manager can't be appointed without having managed at a particular level before then you'll soon run out of managers at that level. It's a ******* stupid argument.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curr Avon said:

We could have said the same thing about Gary Johnson. And what about Ipswich fans when Kieran McKenna was appointed. Kieran who? 

The Kieran McKenna who was at Manchester United for about 5 years including 3 as assistant manager when they finished second in the Premier League before moving to Ipswich so its a slightly more impressive CV than 2 years split between MKD and Oxford. The Lansdown's have taken a huge gamble and it feels very much a yes man appointment but as Nige says lets get behind OUR TEAM.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

His Oxford team are playing ‘fast, attacking front foot’ football. 

And he’s inexperienced enough to be a yes man. 

That’s both boxes ticked then. 

Good luck to him, although I can’t help but feel pretty ambivalent to it all now. 

TBF and to play devils advocate, he is a lot more experienced than Tinnion in terms of the jobs he's had and contacts he's made. He isn't my choice (but I never had one anyway), but I don't think he'd be a yes man to the detriment of his career. I also think he is smarter than JL and BT combined, but that isn't difficult.

If Gould hadn't left I am convinced that NP would still be here with Tinnion told to be quiet and sit in the corner and JL tucked up in Bermuda.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Sturgess said:

Snobbery maybe, but I'd argue it's more frustration that we are in this predicament when we already had - what many perceive as - the right man in place in NP. 

We will have to get behind whoever it is, but it doesn't mean you have to like it or can't contrast/compare what we had with what we may have.

Frustration over NP being sacked is not an excuse for arrogance and snobbery over an incoming manager

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Spud21 said:

Personally I think the arrogance is in the board room rather than here on OTIB. It’s there where they believe we should be a top championship club and getting promotion. 

• Like 4

I don't think there are many coaches out there, that would come here, and fully take on board and agree to our reliance on fast tracking and using Academy products. 

If you were to tick boxes to which the Club require from a new coach, then I think Manning does fit the bill... especially his previous positions with Academies. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Nuno Gomes said:

I suppose beyond the coaching team the next question is who he may look to bring in player-wise.  The January window is not far away and I wonder if he believes there is anyone in the current Oxford squad that will improve us.  Their goalie (Beadle) is currently on loan from Brighton and has been in the U20 England squad.

Billy Bodin 

• Sad 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, awbb said:

I get your point... but I think you need to re-evaluate how we should view ourselves.

The expectation from on high is that we should be out-performing our top 10 budget, after all...

Even if that is the expectation from the on highs, it doesn't change a jot how we are perceived in the footballing world outside Bristol, which is an absolute backwater that has never done anything. 

We would need to be in and around the top 6 consistently for 4/5 years minimum before the footballing world considers us anything more than a below average championship club. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spud21 said:

Not really. I haven’t suggested any established premier or championship managers. We had one of those and he was wrongly sacked. You can’t argue that this appointment fits the yes man criteria, the lansdowns need. Anybody who has their own voice, or challenges their leadership, they don’t know how to deal with. 

• Like 5